Oil Temp and Idle Time?

Scooby

Kind of two different questions.

Watching my oil temp gage and it?s showing around 200 degrees after driving a while. Is that normal temp. Weather has been high 80?s & 90?s

Is it good to let your car warm up even if it?s not cold. I usually let it run for about a good 2 minutes just until the idle drops then drive off. Is this necessary or does it do more harm than good?

Thanks

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION]

I always let my cars warm up a few minutes in the summer and longer in the winter. (Diesel is a slight exclusion) I'm under the impression that the temperature should be in that area of 190-200*. I tend to be more anal with driving styles than others. You should drive normally until your oil reaches operating temperature. Then, you can drive however you please. :tup:

When you get a chance, do me a favor. Time how long it takes for the oil to reach operating temperature from a cold start. :ty:

Scooby

@Batmobile_Engage @HolyCrapItsFast @IGOTASTi @Boogieman98

I always let my cars warm up a few minutes in the summer and longer in the winter. (Diesel is a slight exclusion) I'm under the impression that the temperature should be in that area of 190-200*. I tend to be more anal with driving styles than others. You should drive normally until your oil reaches operating temperature. Then, you can drive however you please. :tup:

When you get a chance, do me a favor. Time how long it takes for the oil to reach operating temperature from a cold start. :ty:

Do you want me to just let it idle until it reaches 190-200 and time it or after letting it warm up for a minute or two like I usually do start to drive it and see how long it takes?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do you want me to just let it idle until it reaches 190-200 and time it or after letting it warm up for a minute or two like I usually do start to drive it and see how long it takes?

Let it idle for a minute or two and then start driving. :tup:

Scooby

Outside Temp was 68 degrees.
Cold start idle dropped after running 3 minutes. At that time oil temp was 108 degrees.

After idle dropped I pulled out and started my drive. After 12 additional minutes of stop and go city driving oil temp reached 190 degrees.

Just a side note. I drive like an old lady. Shifts are always made around 3k rpm. Max speed for this drive was around 40mph.

Let me me know if this helps.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Cold start idle dropped after running 3 minutes. At that time oil temp was 108 degrees.

After idle dropped I pulled out and started my drive. After 12 additional minutes of stop and go city driving oil temp reached 190 degrees.

Just a side note. I drive like an old lady. Shifts are always made around 3k rpm. Max speed for this drive was around 40mph.

Let me me know if this helps.

Awesome!!! :ty:

15 minutes from cold to operating temperature. I drive like a grandma as well for at least 20-30 minutes. :tup:

Ok, so going back to your original post. I did notice a 10* higher oil temperature in the TDI last week when it was mid 90's here. I think that should be normal considering the higher ambient temperatures.

Is it good to let your carm up? I can't answer that question because I didn't design the car. I let my cars warm up regardless. I don't care about wasting a handul of change for the few minutes I let the car warm up. I think this was the exact thing that [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] stated in another thread.

I would suggest waiting for others to chime in as well. :tup:
[MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] ?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Your doing it perfect! Let it reach full operating temperature before you beat on it after that.

200* is correct. There is a heat exchanger that the oil passes through to allow it to heat faster in the mornings and on cold winter days. This same heat exchanger allows the oil temperature to stabilize to coolant temperature when the engine is warm or hot.

Kind of two different questions.

Watching my oil temp gage and it?s showing around 200 degrees after driving a while. Is that normal temp. Weather has been high 80?s & 90?s

Is it good to let your car warm up even if it?s not cold. I usually let it run for about a good 2 minutes just until the idle drops then drive off. Is this necessary or does it do more harm than good?

Thanks

HolyCrapItsFast knows his stuff so I'd go with the information he was kind enough to share.

I was contemplating on ditching the oil heater/cooler but Holy shared info in another thread that convinced me to keep it. What I'm doing for my build is running a Grimspeed 160 degree thermostat for the coolant system along with keeping the oil cooler/heater. I'm hoping this keeps my oil temps happy and if it dosent work I'll purchase an air to air oil cooler to go along with this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Perfect. Go ahead and drive normally after idle drop. But you shouldn't really go WOT until oil temps are 190-200. :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
For educational purposes only, what would happen if you cold start a car and 5 seconds later go WOT? What exactly happens?

For educational purposes only, what would happen if you cold start a car and 5 seconds later go WOT? What exactly happens?
I believe the oil could be too thick and possibly not lubricate key components quick enough if you start driving like a crazed man.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk