New to Subaru

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Power is a funny one. I always want more, but do I need more? That's why I stayed pretty much stock with a tune (thanks Holy!). What can I do with more power that I can't do with less? Well get into trouble is one.

Some of the first mods you could consider:

1) Oil pickup (stock one is realatively weak and *can* break...instakills an engine). Pretty easy to do yourself and you'll get comfortable with the underside of your engine.
2) Gauge or two. Given the "act your age" i'm guessing you dont want an A-pillar full of gagues, but I found them helpful to monitor the health of my engine, especially if you're going to track it. Lots of options here, and I'm sure there are some stealthy install options or removable options. Depending on the gauges, you'll get comfortable behind the dash and where everything is under the hood.
3) Air-oil-separator. Blow-by is a thing on these engines, and a nicely designed AOS (or catch cans) can help eliminate that. Another good way to learn some of the plumbing under the hood
4) Adjustable swaybar. I don't know your background, but swaybars add very little (if any) harshness to the ride, but make a big difference in controlling body roll. And no matter where you go with your suspension (barring full racecar), an adjustable one will be able to match without having to buy a new one. This is a good way to get comfortable with the suspension and how everything hooks up.
5) Some good old-fashioned heat insulation like the turbo blankets, radiator shrouds, etc... Depending on how invasive you get, you'll learn where everything is.

Power is a funny one. I always want more, but do I need more? That's why I stayed pretty much stock with a tune (thanks Holy!). What can I do with more power that I can't do with less? Well get into trouble is one.

Some of the first mods you could consider:

1) Oil pickup (stock one is realatively weak and *can* break...instakills an engine). Pretty easy to do yourself and you'll get comfortable with the underside of your engine.
2) Gauge or two. Given the "act your age" i'm guessing you dont want an A-pillar full of gagues, but I found them helpful to monitor the health of my engine, especially if you're going to track it. Lots of options here, and I'm sure there are some stealthy install options or removable options. Depending on the gauges, you'll get comfortable behind the dash and where everything is under the hood.
3) Air-oil-separator. Blow-by is a thing on these engines, and a nicely designed AOS (or catch cans) can help eliminate that. Another good way to learn some of the plumbing under the hood
4) Adjustable swaybar. I don't know your background, but swaybars add very little (if any) harshness to the ride, but make a big difference in controlling body roll. And no matter where you go with your suspension (barring full racecar), an adjustable one will be able to match without having to buy a new one. This is a good way to get comfortable with the suspension and how everything hooks up.
5) Some good old-fashioned heat insulation like the turbo blankets, radiator shrouds, etc... Depending on how invasive you get, you'll learn where everything is.
This is great advice [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] and exactly where I was heading. Things I can do to improve without touching the tune. I have been researching the adjustable sway bars. I want to eliminate the under steer and thought that would be a good starting place. Killer Bee oil pan and pick-up, heated AOS. Read a good caution about extreme cold recently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
This is great advice @Grinder34 and exactly where I was heading. Things I can do to improve without touching the tune. I have been researching the adjustable sway bars. I want to eliminate the under steer and thought that would be a good starting place. Killer Bee oil pan and pick-up, heated AOS. Read a good caution about extreme cold recently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely do the adjustable swaybars (and endlinks). It totally transforms the car!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Welcome! Some great advice in here, I have little to add except get dedicated wheels and tires if you have the budget for it. A summer setup with sticky tires and winter setup with winter tires is hard to beat.