The Phone/Tablet/Android Hacking/Homebrew Thread

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Who here has hacked their phone or tablet, installed homebrew applications, installed custom firmwares, overclocked their performance settings, or rooted their Android devices?

Are there any "must install" applications or APK files that are crucial for quality of life improvements and enhancing the general overall experience? If you've tinkered with your computer, I'd imagine it applies in the same fashion here. There are a lot of computer programs that are tailored into applications for Android, so please feel free to offer any suggestions you may have! [MENTION=5193]War_Panda04[/MENTION] @Raven32 @35r @CSF707 @Boogieman98 @black bandit @Grinder34 @Eagleye @Batmobile_Engage @IGOTASTi @HolyCrapItsFast

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Man I need to root my fire stick. I think that's an android device, does that count?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Man I need to root my fire stick. I think that's an android device, does that count?

Well, from what I'm seeing, it looks like the stick is a miniature computer. Not sure which model you have, but here are the specifications for all of them:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html?v=ftvstickgen1

What can you normally do with the Amazon Fire TV Stick exactly? (I'm out of loop in that domain.) What does rooting it give you accessibility to?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well, from what I'm seeing, it looks like the stick is a miniature computer. Not sure which model you have, but here are the specifications for all of them:
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html?v=ftvstickgen1

What can you normally do with the Amazon Fire TV Stick exactly? (I'm out of loop in that domain.) What does rooting it give you accessibility to?

Not 100% sure. Stock, you're limited to Amazon-aoproved apps. I forget which ones aren't included, but there are some popular ones. Like maybe even Netflix? I think you can side-load .apk files without a root. Not sure what a full root gets you though.

I got the 4k on prime day to match our newish 4k tv as one of our only 4k video sources.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You would think I'd be all about this, but I've been left behind in the software game over the years. If you need some soldering done or some other jerry rigged hardware, I'm your guy. :lol:

Speaking of which, I'll talk to you guys later...I think I smell electrical smoke :fuji: