How To: GD Installing your own Chassis Bridge on a GD STi (02-07)

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
You can purchase a kit to install this but if you ask me its not worth the money for ($115) when you can get all parts and tools needed at your local Home Depot or Lowes store.

Parts to purchase:

(8) Fender washers around 5/16 size. Doesn't have to be that specific size
(4) Rubber fender washers. These will be harder to find but should be there
(2) 5/16 Lock washers
(2) 5/16X1 Bolt
(2) 5/16 Lock nuts
(2) M8x30mm bolt
(2) 3/16 Ferrule & stop set
(2) Turnbuckles. I forgot the size but the highest load rating you can find. I think mine were about 350lbs.
Lastly you'll need about 6ft of 3/16 steel cable. You won't use all of it but it's better to have extra than not.

Tools:

• A standard socket set
  • Bolt cutters (or something to cut steel cable)
  • A swaging tool (can be purchased at Home Depot for $20) I returned mine afterwards lol
  • Pliers
  • A screwdriver will help but not absolutely needed
  • A friend to help (will be more difficult on your own)

Removal:

-The first thing that needs to be done is to remove the back seats out of the car. Its just a few bolts and clips its actually quite simple.

-Next remove the noise dampening pieces that are behind the upper part of the back seat to access the trunk space. This will include removing the 2 black bars to support the back seat.

Installation:

-First thing I did was bolt the 2 turnbuckles into location (see pic for exact location) starting from the outside going in 5/16 bolt, fender washer, turnbuckle, fender washer, rubber fender washer then pass it through the hole and use a lock washer then lock nut on the end. DO NOT TIGHTEN JUST YET. Only hand tight to hold it in place.

-Repeat the process for the other side

-Now cut the steel cable in have so you have 2 pieces about the same length (does not need to be exact as there will be extra later on)

-Depending on the steel cable you get it may already have a loop in it. The one I purchased was 6ft and had a loop on either side so I cut the cable in half. Take one loop and bolt it to the bottom (see pic for exact location) this may change depending on preference. Again going from the outside in. M8x30mm bolt, fender washer, steel cable, fender washer, rubber fender washer. Then thread it into the hole
AGAIN DO NOT TIGHTEN FULLY just hand tight.

-Now take one of the clamps from the ferrule & stop set and push it onto the cable. Thread the cable through the loop on the turnbuckle on the opposite side and pass the end through the clamp again.

-This is where you really need your buddy to help. Get the clamp up as close to the turnbuckle as possible to make a small loop in the cable. Have a friend hold it there with some pliers and use the swaging tool to pinch the clamp.

-Repeat this process for both sides and tighten all 4 bolts. Now you are almost finished.

-Now adjust the turnbuckles by.. well.. turning them. Try and adjust them evenly and get them as tight as you can by hand. I would suggest getting them tight then driving for a day or 2 for everything to settle then adjust again. I repeat TRY AND KEEP THEM EVEN THAT WILL MAKE THE MOST DIFFERENCE IN FEEL.

-You are now finished. Re-install back seats if you prefer but mine are staying out.

I wish i had pictures of the progression instead of after it was done but I installed them in dark so they wouldn't be good anyway.

Difference:

I just did the install last night, but I drove it around a bit and all I can say is WOW! For around $40 it makes a world of difference going around turns. Feels much more comfortable and stiff at the same time. I couldn't be more pleased with the way this came out.

Thanks for checking out my write up.

407035cb2fed1f4ccb79238a36530585.jpg

8c7fbaeffede515b6226c7bd94a29a27.jpg

35fed5f12a78fc7580c7d46caaf06c7e.jpg

b6f3de3ff087b4033ff996693b4a3079.jpg

e88fcdedbd9e9c1815cf986a43ade097.jpg

776895b4f7908bbd4c62b51d14004a13.jpg

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very nice write up [MENTION=5193]War_Panda04[/MENTION].

Thanks for sharing with us. :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I chose not to install my turnbuckle at the top, but do wires on each side of it so the turnbuckles are near the center of the opening. This allowed, for me, easier tightening of the chassis bridge.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Great write-up, Warren. I really appreciate it. :tup:

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk