The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Sorry, haven't looked into it. @IGOTASTi @WRB_STi maybe know?

I've been talking to @WRB_STi about this. He recommends a shop in Kalamazoo, but so far (after a couple months) the owner has been very difficult to reach. I finally got him to reply to a Facebook Message today, to which he asked for my phone number and then never called. :banghead:

I hope we can work something out, because it appears that he does phenomenal work.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn, you'll have to do some research then. What do you want done to your transmission?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
At the very least, I need the synchros changed out on gears 4-6; probably 3rd as well. So I'm planning on buying a whole new hardened synchro kit for 1st-6th.

While it's cracked open, anything else that needs replaced, like shift forks for example should be done at the same time.

Other than that, it should be a fairly simple job for a transmission shop. Especially when you consider that we plan to remove the transmission ourselves and deliver it to the shop.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, I need 4th and the fork swapped out too in mine. If you find a place, I might have to use it too.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Coming to an agreement with a transmission shop is the last major hurdle in the planning stage. Once that is nailed down,
I can order the engine and associated parts, and we can pull the tranny for rebuild.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I just got off the phone with TiC (Turn In Concepts) in Cincinnati. They might be able to help me out. They'll email me an estimate in a day or two...

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Pure Tuning in Toledo, OH said they do "30 WRX trannys for every 1 STi tranny. The 6-speeds are a bitch, plus they're like 170 lbs!"

They suggested an estimate of $1,300 plus parts. Provided that the gears arent damaged and its just synchros and forks...

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Woah! Isn't a good, used transmission only $2,000? How hard is it to work on with 0 experience?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Apparently the 6-speeds need a lot of specialized tools to properly service them, unlike the 5-speeds. I also talked to Shep Trans today. Turns out, they only do EVOs and GTRs, but the guy was nice enough to give me some pointers. 1. $1000 is pretty standard for tear down, inspect, reassemble. 2. So with synchros and maybe a couple other things, it quickly becomes $1300-1500. 3. Generally if you are having issues that require synchro replacement, there is also other damage and that quickly puts you well over $2000.

From what I generally see online, a lightly used 6-speed goes for $3,500-$4250. Of course that includes all the axles, driveshaft, hubs, etc....which I don't need. If I could just buy a brand new transmission by itself for $2,000 then that might be something to seriously consider. But I don't see that option available anywhere.

Maybe that's something [MENTION=6480]kenziel1203[/MENTION] would know.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I've seen used transmissions on Nasioc for $2,000. That's where I came up with the number. Same with engines. 2-2.5k for SUPPOSED good condition engines and transmissions. Granted, you don't know if it's good or not until you install it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you ever come across something like that, let me know.
There's two 2005 transmissions for 2.5k. Granted, we're complicating things since we have unicorn 2004 transmissions.

bue car

Only a couple special tools needed to service one. But it's probably a solid 9/10 job with downtime if you are busy

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
A 2005 transmission should work for me, right?
Your picture above isn't loading. If I recall correctly, we have different axles, so it's all different. I could be wrong, though. Different axles. Different hubs and knuckles.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Your picture above isn't loading. If I recall correctly, we have different axles, so it's all different. I could be wrong, though. Different axles. Different hubs and knuckles.

Damnit, I think you're right. I was originally thinking the trans, hub size, etc. was the same between 04's and 05's. But now I think they changed part way through the 05 model year.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damnit, I think you're right. I was originally thinking the trans, hub size, etc. was the same between 04's and 05's. But now I think they changed part way through the 05 model year.
From what I know, us 04 owners live in our own world. 05-07 are the same when they changed to 5x114.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just have to do a lot of research. Maybe some things are the same, while we perceive them to be different. I don't know any transmission model numbers or internals.