Got another one

DangeRuss

Hello all.

Collected a 2008 Built STI on saterday. Havent hada subaru fr about 5 years. Went the Mercedes route for a while.

Last I had befire this oe was a 2007 STIhawk.

Very happy with the car. Nice playing wit DCCD settings on the skidpan again.

As far as wet Gymkhanas go. what settings are prefferred?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Welcome to IGOTASTI! You've come to the right place. There is a ton of good information here and helpful people to point you in the right direction.

Good to hear you're back in an STi. I'm not the most knowledgeable in terms of the GR chassis, I'm more of a GD guy myself. 2007 is one of my favorite model years.

Anyways...in regards to DCCD settings, I'll have a look around and find you some links on the DCCD and it's settings. How familiar are you with it right now? I *think* the GR has slightly different settings than the GD (2004-2007 STi) so what I may tell you might not be as accurate for your model year. When it comes to Gymkhanas, Autocross and so forth, there are two general schools of thought on DCCD settings.

1. Put the DCCD in manual mode and move the selector all the way to the bottom (dark green) setting; often referred to as Full Open.
- This prevents the DCCD from taking inputs from multiple onboard sensors and adjusting the center diff settings in real-time. The thought process is, "the behavior of the car shouldn't change during my lap and is therefore easier for me to control the car only how I want to."
- Ultimately, what it is doing is allowing the most variance in wheel rotations between the front and rear wheels. Conversely, the further "up" (yellow) towards LOCK that you set the DCCD, the more the front and rear wheels HAVE TO rotate together at the same speed.
- Thus, Full Open can tend to promote more oversteer while closer to LOCK promotes more understeer (or traction and stability in low grip environments). That said, do NOT drive the car in LOCK unless you are an ice road trucker. :lol: LOCK on drive pavement ruins the DCCD and associated drivetrain. It's also not a great idea to set the DCCD close to LOCK for long periods of driving. You will notice drivetrain binding during cornering, if you do.
- If the course is REALLY wet and slippery, bring the DCCD (in manual mode) up a couple marks from Full Open and that will help reduce the tendency to spin out a bit.

2. Leave the DCCD in AUTO and forget about it.
- I have searched high and low for this thread (on a couple other sites) from years and years ago, where a track day junkie made numerous laps at different DCCD settings and recorded his results. Since I can't find the thread, I'll summarize from memory: "There are many different tracks, driving conditions and other situations where various DCCD manual settings will FEEL faster than others. That said, in almost every instance AUTO produces the fastest lap times, even if it doesn't feel like it."

With that considered, if you are frequently making incredibly tight turns at lower speeds and such, the Full Open manual setting might be for you. But for everything else, AUTO is the preferred setting.

I know that's a lot to digest, but hopefully that helps. :unsure:

Anyways... :welcome:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here! Post some pictures of the ride!!

Do you have a list of modifications done to the car?

How does the 2008 compare to your previous 2007 STi?

DangeRuss

Thanks guys. I'll read up.

here it is:

Wiseco build. 3032 turbo, up n don pip and 76mm to th back. Heads done and so on.not too major

how the hell do you put picture???

Grinder34

Track Monkey

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I assume this build has some significant thought going into oil pickup and prevention of starvation issues given the lateral forces at play here? If not I highly suggest you address that alongside this build as it is much easier now vs. pulling it back out later.

DangeRuss

I assume this build has some significant thought going into oil pickup and prevention of starvation issues given the lateral forces at play here? If not I highly suggest you address that alongside this build as it is much easier now vs. pulling it back out later.

Hi

Yes yes , upgraded 12mm oil pump , But its still mapped for pump fuel at 1.2 bar on one map and 0.8 on the other so very mild in comparrisson to what was done to te last soobas i had. stock 6speed as well havent played with ratios or anything. I'll put pictures on from home. work blocks everything.For around here it really isnt a drastic build. There are far more powerful subarus in town than mine.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Hi

Yes yes , upgraded 12mm oil pump , But its still mapped for pump fuel at 1.2 bar on one map and 0.8 on the other so very mild in comparrisson to what was done to te last soobas i had. stock 6speed as well havent played with ratios or anything. I'll put pictures on from home. work blocks everything.For around here it really isnt a drastic build. There are far more powerful subarus in town than mine.

I was speaking more to addressing oil staying where it should so it can be distributed everywhere when you are hitting the skids (windage tray, better oil pan and pickup, etc.)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

DangeRuss

Where are you from?

is Hellish South Africa. In Pretoria. This is not a great place to be for a caucasian middle class individual at the moment but at least I have boost.

There are some very powerful cars around town. black 07 Sti is well over 400 wkw on an 4 wheel dyno. theres a dyno day in tw weeks.I'll get some pics and videos and solve thepicre dilemma

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If it's not too much trouble, can you also take some pictures of the landscape and city of your location in South Africa?

DangeRuss

sure. I keep meaning to upload from home but I forget. I will endevour to do so this afternoon. I dont live in a city. The citys here are extremely dangerous. If you have a visible phone or laptop bag in your car your window WILL be smashed and it stolen. or worse a gun to your head and all your goods demanded.

I stay in a suburb.