Color change on the center consol

Can anyone tell me how to remove the center pieces around the radio on my 08 sti. And the silver pieces along the dash. My dash is wrapped with carbon fiber vinyl and it's starting to come off and I don't want to leave it silver. Any tips on painting those pieces. I'm a newbie to this and I couldn't find a write up on it. If you know where there is one please direct me to it. Lol thank you!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] might know.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You can just pry those pieces out. Be careful as they can break easily, so be gentle.
Plastidip works well or you can try a paint like Krylon. They make specific paints for plastics with adhesion promoters.
You'll need to sand the pieces down or scuff them with a scotch bright pad to remove the sheen, so with paint, it's a permanent thing.
Next you'll wash the part in soapy water to remove the dirt. Now dry the part. Finally, you'll need to wipe it down with a tack cloth.
Next is applying your primer. One thin tack coat and one base coat.
After the primer you can apply the color coat, one thin tack coat and two light base coats.
After the base coat you can choose to either apply a clear gloss coat or matte or satin coat. Or before the clear, you may want to sand the part again to rid it of the orange peel (the dimply unsmooth finish that paint does).
Lots of practice on some scrap will help a ton.

The piece around the stereo just snaps in thus will pop off. I used an old credit card to wedge between it and the dash at one of the top corners and then use a small screwdriver or fingers to get behind the bezel and pry against the card to get it going. And then start pulling it off slowly. You think it gonna break but it wont.
[/IMG]
yqepyvyg.jpg
y8upu7aq.jpg

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=3226]quarters[/MENTION] these guys here are awesome.

Thanks guys.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] you used the wrong side of the credit card! :banghead:

:rofl: :D

The GD doesnt need anything but a phillips screwdriver for the two screws holding the cup holder in. Well the 04 anyways. Idk how 05-07 are.

[MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] you used the wrong side of the credit card! :banghead:

:rofl: :D

The GD doesnt need anything but a phillips screwdriver for the two screws holding the cup holder in. Well the 04 anyways. Idk how 05-07 are.

I'm an idiot!!!!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=3226]quarters[/MENTION] these guys here are awesome.

Thanks guys.

They are so awesome that they give you their credit card info!!!

:rofl:
[MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION]

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
That is the funniest thing we ever did see! :rofl:

We should we order now?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Shift knobs!!!! :tard:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] is going to love this! :tup:

I better at least get one. Since we are all in a laughing mood I thought you guys might like my old Halloween Costume. This is what my wife is going to do if I have charges on the card from this.

IMG_0917.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well now this all makes sense.

His brain got cut off! :rofl:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thats a crying matter!!! :(