Custom tig welded baffled catch can

06stibslw

Hi guys I've been making some stainless steel tig welded baffeld catch cans. I have one installed in my car on my built motor and it is working well. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested I can make them vent to atmosphere with a filter or a closed system like I have made for my car. I'm not sure on a price yet but give me your feedback! They are full 304 stainless steel and internally baffeld

Hi guys I've been making some stainless steel tig welded baffeld catch cans. I have one installed in my car on my built motor and it is working well. I can post some pictures if anyone is interested I can make them vent to atmosphere with a filter or a closed system like I have made for my car. I'm not sure on a price yet but give me your feedback! They are full 304 stainless steel and internally baffeld

Let's see some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06stibslw

Here's a pic for you.

IMG_0067_zpsmpv0izkh.jpg

Are you running both heads and crank case to one single can?

Is there a drain on the bottom of it and how much do you charge for one since I'm still contemplating my catch can set up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

06stibslw

At Raven32 I think I fixed it now. And doppelganger I did run both heads and crank into one but I have heard it is better to use 2 cans but I haven't had any issues with the single in my experience. I was thinking around 50 to 75 a can since the material and it does take me about 4 hours to make materials and assemble let me know what you think they also have 2 stainless baffel plates in them to filter everything

06stibslw

I can possibly go cheaper if you get 2 and yes they have a drain with a plug at the bottom I will get more pics up when I can thanks

06stibslw

[MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] thanks guys and yes I will get some pics of the inside when I get a chance I tack in the baffel plates about an inch or so apart so there are 2 pieces in there to help filter the oily vapor. It's been working pretty well on my setup I'm happy with it.

06stibslw

Here is one of the baffel plates I use the other one has a lot smaller holes and gets tacked below it. Both of them together seem to filter very well. That's the only picture I have of it at the moment [MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION]

Here is one of the baffel plates I use the other one has a lot smaller holes and gets tacked below it. Both of them together seem to filter very well. That's the only picture I have of it at the moment @Raven32 @Doppelganger

Thanks for the pic. Only idea i would have for this it to allow the top to screw off for cleaning. Seems to be a very stout and well built peace. having the top part of the catch can allow to screw off would allow the end use to open it up and properly clean it out.

06stibslw

[MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] thanks for the replies. I have thought about that making a threaded top or welding tabs that are tapped on the inside so the cap can be unbolted for cleaning. It can be cleaned with a air nozzle or something like that but it would be nice to wipe it out as well.

@Raven32 thanks for the replies. I have thought about that making a threaded top or welding tabs that are tapped on the inside so the cap can be unbolted for cleaning. It can be cleaned with a air nozzle or something like that but it would be nice to wipe it out as well.
would also be nice to see if any debris are lurking around inside etc. putting a tap on the inside with a Tapered NPT thread should do the trick. Looks to be a standard 2 or 3" pipe. if you had a lath i would say do that and put an o-ring on it as well. Would also allow you to put a fine mesh screen on one of the baffles. really there are many uses for it to be opened. Last thought was, put a clear peace of hose on the side of it so that you can check the level of oil in it since its a catch can and not designed to go back into the engine. One more question. does the return lines have some sort of mesh on them to prevent the oil from making its way back to the motor?

06stibslw

[MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] all great suggestions I appreciate it!. I have thought of a couple things that you have mentioned. I'm trying to design a nice piece that works well. The one I have is working good but I'm always open to tweaking. I'm a tig welder by trade so I have access to some things. And I don't have mesh in my out ports but I can easily put it in tho for those who would like it. Great idea! But the first baffel is so fine it's almost like a screen so that's what I would be using for the out ports as well. Everything is stainless steel even the mesh. I can also do aluminum but it's easier for me to get the stainless material.