Anyone here into watches?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Spamby, do you know much about watches?

Grinder's first rule of watches: Get what you think looks good.

Grinder's second rule of watches: Unlike with cars, get an automatic.

Quartz are great for reliability and many other things, but to me the cool part about watches are all the moving bits inside. Automatics (well, ok all mechanical watches) are crafted around springs, gears, etcs and thats what makes them expensive. For the most part, i just dont understand expensive quartz watches. Some of them have mechanical complications (a complication is anything other than the time on the watch...so something like date, stopwatch, moon phase, etc...) but in general quartz is quartz.

I highly recommend you google "watch movement" and just start to expand a knowledge base a bit. Rolex, and other top-end manufacturers, make their own movement from scratch. That's why they cost so much. Then there are mid-tier that are generally customized movements. Meaning they took an Ej25 and did TGV deletes, a bigger turbo. And then there are more OEM movements.

Anyways the wife is kicking me off the computer, but watches are just as fascinating as cars!

Nope. Don't know much. I know about different movements but never really cared to investigate much. I'll definitely do some research.
Thanks for the tips!

Don't buy a Rolex if you want to tell time as they don't keep time very well. Also make sure if you are buy a new watch that it comes with a USA warranty. You can get a really good deal on a watch without one but if something went wrong then you either have a nice paper weight or an expensive repair bill.
If you are one who likes to see the movements of the watch search Skeleton Watch in Google. There is a plethora
plethoraof models available.
If you are ever in New York you should visit Tourneau. They have in my opinion the greatest collection of watches anywhere. They also have a website www.tourneau.com.
Lastly I would say everyone needs a nice watch to wear on special occasions and a everyday watch. I have a an Ebel Sport Classic as my nice watch and a Citizen Ti ECO Drive as my everyday watch. I like the ECO as I never have to worry about a battery.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Don't buy a Rolex if you want to tell time as they don't keep time very well. Also make sure if you are buy a new watch that it comes with a USA warranty. You can get a really good deal on a watch without one but if something went wrong then you either have a nice paper weight or an expensive repair bill.
If you are one who likes to see the movements of the watch search Skeleton Watch in Google. There is a plethora
plethoraof models available.
If you are ever in New York you should visit Tourneau. They have in my opinion the greatest collection of watches anywhere. They also have a website www.tourneau.com.
Lastly I would say everyone needs a nice watch to wear on special occasions and a everyday watch. I have a an Ebel Sport Classic as my nice watch and a Citizen Ti ECO Drive as my everyday watch. I like the ECO as I never have to worry about a battery.

Take a pic of them. I would like to see. I have a Citizen ECO drive as well. I bought it years ago and paid close to $500 for it back then. It is also my everyday watch and I love it. It's a little beat up now but it is still one of my favorite to wear and to look at.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very very nice.

Thinkin of gettin the lady a rose gold mk watch sometime soon for a Christmas Present.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
MY WATCH CAME TODAY!!! (and so did I when I opened it) You can see just how "in your face" this watch really is when you add some perspective and put it on a fat wrist like mine. :lol:

Watch1.jpg

Watch2.jpg

Watch3.jpg

Watch4.jpg

Watch5.jpg

Watch6.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very nice.

Holy smokes thats a nice watch!

You will need to buy another for the other wrist do your left bicep doesn't get larger than the right from trying to lift it to tell time. What does it weigh?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You will need to buy another for the other wrist do your left bicep doesn't get larger than the right from trying to lift it to tell time. What does it weigh?

LOL... I feel like I'm walking around with Big Ben on my arm. It is insanely heavy! I will weigh it tomorrow at work. Right now I have to have it sized for my wrist. My friend has all the tools to do that because he has the whole invicta line and didn't want to pay someone to size them. My gain! I will have to take a picture of his collection next time I get there.

Awesome post, I'm currently wearing Tudor Oyster Big Rose it's a manual wind. do have several more Omega Constellation 564 movement, Omega Seamaster with a 471 movement waffle dial. several Longines Admiral, 5 Star and Conquest, Oris, Bulova Sea King and Lord Elgin Black knight and El Dorado. been collecting for about 5 years now but with price to fix watches or work on STi the watches have been sitting on the side.20150305_215216.jpg20150305_215229.jpg Do have more at the office that are waiting to come alive but STi comes first.

salsa-king

picked up this the other month.

Vintage 1969, lovely condition.. not overly expensive... saying that probly paid more fo rit than when it was new lol
20150130_225518_zpsyehg5hnc.jpg

20150130_225548_zpsuwjh2ytc.jpg

I love how it's got the original strap with those little side lugs on it.

It weighs next to nothing compared to my sea dweller lol

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very nice.