Winter mode/Winter beaters

TK-421

Well folks, it's that time of year again. Time for the nice cars that live in the snow belt or as I call it, "The Rust Belt" get put away packed up, and battery tenders attached.

Some of you have "daily drivers" or "Winter beaters"

And some don't have the luxury of having a second car.

I used to live up in the Pittsburgh, PA area. Dab smack in Rust Belt territory. I have family that lives in Florida and I went to school in Florida. So I knew the area. So I started doing the "Snow Bird" thing. It's where I would come down to Florida each winter.

But after relocating each year for about 4 to 6 months and then trekking back up north I decided that it would just make more sense to move down here permanently.

When I did live in PA during the snow months, I drove $1500 dollar cars during those time periods. Things like Nissan D21 Hardbody Pickups, Toyota Camry's, Jeep's and Civic's. Whatever I could get my hands on cheap and have pass PA State Inspection and Emissions.

I did drive my old 2004 Blue STi one winter, but that was because I literally had no other choice.

But enough about what I did in the past.

How many of you up North or in areas that see a lot of snow and ice, drive "winter beaters"?

And how many of you drive your STi?

If you drive a winter car, what is it?
If you drive your STi, let's give some other snow state folks some tips on what you do to winterize your STi.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I drove my sti first 3 years i had. 3 harsh winters. Washed every 2 days. Still rusted. So as of last year got tired of that shit. 3 seasons only and lately weekends only.

Beater is a 94 toyota pickup. Lately been driving the 98 a8.

Screw winters in the tri area. :banghead:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
T100. Definitely not a tacoma. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dont worry. This frame is shot too. Could crack in half any minute. :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yeah but engine is prestine for 202k

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yeah. All our cars are ahead of the game with maintenance.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yours better be too!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Doesnt matter what i think. I want to know that they are! :tard: :fuji:
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] has fun in the winter! :lol:

TK-421

I spend more money on maintenance than I do on food and medicine, all of my vehicles are beyond up to date. I do EVERYTHING by the book.

Even my daily is kept up to date, and doesn't have a scratch, or fade to the body or paint, runs just like a new car and it has 130k on the ticker

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok now you HAVE to make a new thread on maintenance and intervals suggested for every fluid and service!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The Batmobile is a @$#&ing tank in the winter. My splitter pushes snow and always has a couple inches of ice frozen to it. I have to clear snow away from the front mount periodically. Either way, with Blizzaks I can go pretty much anywhere. I've pulled quite a few people out of snowed in parking lots, etc....that reminds me, I need to find my tow strap.

I love driving it in the winter but cringe when I think about all the salt. I try to crouch down and spray water all up underneath when I wash it in the winter, which is much more often. I think it was @Alin that was looking at my sway bar or something and commented on how clean and rust free it is on the underside.

Last edited:

TK-421

I've always wondered why the northeast can't be more like the northwest, their cars don't rust nearly the way northeastern cars do

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Not only salt. But that bullshit liquid salt man. Annhilator of cars!

Yep that was me