Oil consumption

Dramallana13GR

Hate to thread hop, but I have a 13 GR with 50k miles and it is eating a quart to a quart and a half in 3k miles. Took it to dealer and dis oil consumption test, they say it is normal. Running Rotella T6, plugs not fouled.

The air filter in Stock box had a round oil spot on it at the inlet. Any ideas?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hate to thread hop, but I have a 13 GR with 50k miles and it is eating a quart to a quart and a half in 3k miles. Took it to dealer and dis oil consumption test, they say it is normal. Running Rotella T6, plugs not fouled.

How hard do you drive the car? Do you let things warm up properly to operating temperature before driving hard? Do you have any oil pooling in the TMIC couplers to the IM and turbo?

Troszell

That seems excessive as I go through that much oil in approx same distance, and have 250 k more miles on my subie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dramallana13GR

How hard do you drive the car? Do you let things warm up properly to operating temperature before driving hard? Do you have any oil pooling in the TMIC couplers to the IM and turbo?

[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION], I let the car idle until rpms drop at minimum, if not at normal operating then I wont exceed 2k rpms untill it is fully warm.

I am not easy on the car, both highway and backroads i like to push. There is also a good bit of short trips and stop and go.

I have not pulled the TMIC yet to check it, dealer warned it could be a pain in the neck? I have limited acces to specialty tools, not sure what all is needed beyong basic wrenches, screwdrivers and time.

Anyone know of a howto video on pulling the TMIC?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@Alin, I let the car idle until rpms drop at minimum, if not at normal operating then I wont exceed 2k rpms untill it is fully warm.

I am not easy on the car, both highway and backroads i like to push. There is also a good bit of short trips and stop and go.

I have not pulled the TMIC yet to check it, dealer warned it could be a pain in the neck? I have limited acces to specialty tools, not sure what all is needed beyong basic wrenches, screwdrivers and time.

Anyone know of a howto video on pulling the TMIC?

2k RPM seems really low. Almost low enough that the engine would struggle. I personally accelerate slowly up to 2.5k RPM until engine is warm then I shift at 3k. I wait another 15-20 minutes before I even boost.

If you drive hard, you're going to eat some oil. That's to be expected. You don't need anything more than normal tools that you have to remove the TMIC. It can be annoying to put back in, but you can do it!!

You should be able to find a how to on Youtube. Do you do your own oil changes?

Dramallana13GR

2k RPM seems really low. Almost low enough that the engine would struggle. I personally accelerate slowly up to 2.5k RPM until engine is warm then I shift at 3k. I wait another 15-20 minutes before I even boost.

If you drive hard, you're going to eat some oil. That's to be expected. You don't need anything more than normal tools that you have to remove the TMIC. It can be annoying to put back in, but you can do it!!

You should be able to find a how to on Youtube. Do you do your own oil changes?
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION],

I do my own changes for sure. Just changed the oil this morning, i am trying Royal Purple for now, I need to find an alternative for Amsoil with zinc comperable. Cant afford the Amsoil prices every change, do want to change the trans fluid to Amsoil though, it worked wonders in my Civic manual.

I have a long drive out of my neighborhood, so 2k shifts keeps me at the 15mph limit. No boost until the temp gauge is comfortably in the norm.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Your mission is to take off the TMIC and check for oil pooling. Take a picture and show us. Look at the following areas: intake manifold, TMIC to IM connection, TMIC to turbo connection, and the turbo. Try and get it done tomorrow or Friday. :tup:

2 clamps on the TMIC to IM coupler. 1 clamp on the TMIC to turbo clamp. 2 bolts holding TMIC in place on the left and right sides. :tup:

The trick to getting it back in is to slide the turbo coupler on first and wiggle the IM portin in after. The rest is cake. Takes some finesse the first couple of times, but it'll become a minute job in the future. :tup:

Dramallana13GR

Your mission is to take off the TMIC and check for oil pooling. Take a picture and show us. Look at the following areas: intake manifold, TMIC to IM connection, TMIC to turbo connection, and the turbo. Try and get it done tomorrow or Friday. :tup:

2 clamps on the TMIC to IM coupler. 1 clamp on the TMIC to turbo clamp. 2 bolts holding TMIC in place on the left and right sides. :tup:

The trick to getting it back in is to slide the turbo coupler on first and wiggle the IM portin in after. The rest is cake. Takes some finesse the first couple of times, but it'll become a minute job in the future. :tup:
[MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION],

Wont have time tomorrow or Friday, with it being my dd i cant risk jacking it up before work. Saturday early AM i will hop to and get that sucker off. Then we can see if I can outsmart the photobucket.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Alright, Saturday it is then. You can upload pictures directly through Tapatalk if you're using it. Much easier to post rather than going through Photobucket.

Dramallana13GR

Alright, Saturday it is then. You can upload pictures directly through Tapatalk if you're using it. Much easier to post rather than going through Photobucket.

I have a 13 GR google drive, I will dump them there and share the link, that way you can you the plugs as well

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Did you clean the residue out of the coupler?

it really comes down to HOW hard and how OFTEN you beat on the car. You don't really need to on a daily basis. :lol: You can ask others who have an AOS or cath can if it might help since I don't have one. My car eats up oil as well if I drive it hard and so do 99% of the rest of the cars.

How often do you change your oil? (Not sure if I missed thag earlier)

Yeah, it takes some practice to get the TMIC back on. You'll be a pro in no time! :tup:

Dramallana13GR

I drive it pretty rough, try to stay out of sharp, an WOT in higher gears.

I change the oil every 3k, because i drive harder and do have stop and go in my commute.

The strut tower bar made life a little more difficult.

I did clean any oil I found, got the residue out of the couples on both sides.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I may be going to C&C in dallas tomorrow. Any chance you're going? Could look at it together.

Driving hard eats oil, but putting too much load on the engine before the RPMs are high enough to get good oil pressure is bad too! I'd stay under 3k rpm for warmup, but honestly, in Dallas you'll warm up pretty darn quickly. I would try to avoid any load under 2k rpm in general, but definitely with cold, thick oil.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yes, [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION], you need to meet up with him and give him the rundown on longevity! :ty: