Launching a 2005 sti

SeanZ

Hey guys I wanna learn how to launch my 05 sti without breaking anything. Whats a good way to launch and how?

ZachTTLM

When launching anything, pre-loading your diff. is recommended. When you pull up and stop at the line ease out on the clutch just enough to fill the grab set e-brake then prepare to perform launch which will involve dropping the e-brake as you take off. This method will save abuse on the differentials greatly.

35r

Don't launch. If you do, don't be surprised when you blow your diff and brake axels. These cars aren't made for that (at least not stock) You may not break right away, but at some point... You will. Its just like donuts. It only takes 1 time to turn your motor into a paperweight. I realize this is off topic but if you asked about launching, you probably will attempt a donut. These motors are built sideways, and doing flat spins forces all the oil from one side to the other, starving it and blowing it up within seconds. 2 main rules with these cars 1. Don't launch 2. Don't flat spin.

35r

No. If you need to launch, do what Zach said. These cars aren't made for that crap and you will break it if you do it wrong. When you break an axel, or roast off your clutch... Then wonder what happened, and we will just say we told you so.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No. If you need to launch, do what Zach said. These cars aren't made for that crap and you will break it if you do it wrong. When you break an axel, or roast off your clutch... Then wonder what happened, and we will just say we told you so.
When would someone "need" to launch? In all honesty, I don't see any reason to. Of course, if you're an uneducated 18 year old kid, like I was, you will attempt to do so regardless.... :(

35r

Agreed. When I said "need" it was a sarcastic way of saying "want". If launching i your goal, have fun fixing things and spending money that wasn't necessary.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Agreed. When I said "need" it was a sarcastic way of saying "want". If launching i your goal, have fun fixing things and spending money that wasn't necessary.
Quick question! :lol: For the sake of my curiosity!!!

Would a carbon fiber drive shaft reduce any potential damage of damaging components on the car? :popcorn: Just curious now that it's brought up!

35r

Driveshaft shop says their CF driveshaft will hold a little over 1000hp, BUT, you still put a lot of other shit at risk. Its not worth the headache. I don't gamble with me Transmission, axels, or clutch....

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Driveshaft shop says their CF driveshaft will hold a little over 1000hp, BUT, you still put a lot of other shit at risk. Its not worth the headache. I don't gamble with me Transmission, axels, or clutch....
So, in a nutshell, regardless of what mods you have, the 95% of STi owners should NOT launch. The rare 5% have the required parts to withstand the strain of launching?

35r

The average Subaru owner is probably not financially able to properly handle this task. That being said, it isn't impossible, it just isn't likely. Like Zach said, preloading will help. If you are at the track, obviously you cant roll off the line, so your best bet is to preload and use your ebrake rather than just going balls out and dropping the hammer.

I've launched over a dozen times, nothing wrong happened lol. My LC is set to 4900 RPM with my AP.

35r

Im not saying it is going to blow apart and cause catastrophic failure 1 time or even 20 times. Its just bad for the car in general, and at some point shit will break and it will be expensive. They were not made for that kind of abuse. Yes, it CAN be done, you can also shoot an assault rifle blindfolded, at a apple balanced on top of an infants head... But its not recommended.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I've launched over a dozen times, nothing wrong happened lol. My LC is set to 4900 RPM with my AP.
I cringed! :lol: I would suggest to not push your luck!!!!

yamahaSHO

5,500 RPM launches... ALL THE TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCDwX4HwdIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bwnRgg61pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwXEc9gGbIU

This is a full STi drivetrain (flywheel to the wheels) with a ACT XTSS clutch. The only time we broke something was when we dropped the tire pressure to 20 PSI on the first pass of the day and they actually prepped the track... He broke a front axle. On the street, he just lights all 4 up.

The drivetrain in these are much stronger than some of you seem to realize. If you want to launch "safely", no need to screw with the e-brake. It'll take some practice, but you'll "pre-load and go". Meaning, let the clutch out to where it starts to grab, then let up completely.

One of my car... Same 5,500 RPM, much less power (Cobb stage 2).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRjU9kJq34

It only took CJ 7 or so years to finally blow his center differential... running 11's and 10's on the stock long block. :) I haven't personally seen anyone launch/shift harder/quicker than him.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2499782