2016 Honda Civic Type R VS Subaru WRX STI

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
This is an interesting video. What are your thoughts on this?

I drive two very different Subarus. My rallycross car, a 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe, is very light and quick and nimble. My 2016 WRX STI is much bigger, more powerful, and a lot of work to drive. In reviews, I keep hearing how the drive between the Type R and the WRX STI and this sounds similar to the two different beasts I have in my garage. The STI is just more work to drive... but there's so much more going on with the car. While my RS is no Civic Type R in terms of performance, it is similar in my case as it is easier to drive. If my RS had the same kind of power as my WRX STI, or even as a Civic Type R, but retained that easy drive... I don't know that it'd feel as special. The fact that the WRX STI needs a "master" at the wheel to wring the most out of it speaks more to the enthusiast that wants to earn it whereas something easy to get up and go could make any yahoo on the road look like a great wheelman. The fact that you don't have to make "sacrifices" or "work hard" to get that performance... it's almost a debate topic on where some think society is headed: the easy way. I don't want to head down that road with a car topic, but it is interesting to see that potential parallel as new cars emerge on the market. There are similar numbers on paper for these two cars... but the drive is very different. Then again, I don't think these two cars are really eager to battle in the first place. Tech-savvy Front Wheel Drive vs mechanical bull All-Wheel Drive is like introducing a hipster to a coal miner.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Great points [MENTION=5554]Reverend[/MENTION].

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!