Best rotors and pads brands

I know brands and types change, but who makes the "best" brakes for the 18 Sti. Today mine went south with really bad warping. I like spirited driving and some track days, but really its my daily car. I would prefer to up grade from OEM. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The word "best" is very subjective. I think it'll mostly come down to YOU doing YOUR own research. However, I'm sure others can help point you in the right direction and choose a brand that you'll be happy with. What's your budget for all 4 rotors and 8 pads? Price can rack up quickly.

I personally have DBA 4000 rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

You can't go wrong with names like Stoptech, EBC, Brembo, etc. I'm sure by now there are multiple types of rotors made of different materials within each company, so it really will come down to you doing the research and choosing something that fits your application.

The word "best" is very subjective. I think it'll mostly come down to YOU doing YOUR own research. However, I'm sure others can help point you in the right direction and choose a brand that you'll be happy with. What's your budget for all 4 rotors and 8 pads? Price can rack up quickly.

I personally have DBA 4000 rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

You can't go wrong with names like Stoptech, EBC, Brembo, etc. I'm sure by now there are multiple types of rotors made of different materials within each company, so it really will come down to you doing the research and choosing something that fits your application.
Alin,

I agree with you on researching. I usually don't buy something till i feel comfortable with all my research. I do like to ask others though to see who has been thru the good and the bad of things as a part of that. Reason being is the market is ever changing. A manufacturer could be great one minute and the next be the worst.

For your setup, what was the deciding reason you chose yours?

Thanks
Ryan

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, it has been a while since I replaced my brakes, but I think it ultimately came down to price for me. Looking back on my journal, it seems price did in fact play a role. Those must've been some of the least expensive rotors on the market with good performance. The pads have always been regarded well. I'm sure I looked at reviews back then as well, but I don't think I was as anal then as I am now. (Will most likely progressively get more anal with age too! :lol: )

You're a Platinum member, so you're able to see my journal in that section. Check the first post.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'll second the Hawk HPS pads. :tup: I've always suggested OEM for rotors, but I'm sure there are other good ones on the market.

Well, it has been a while since I replaced my brakes, but I think it ultimately came down to price for me. Looking back on my journal, it seems price did in fact play a role. Those must've been some of the least expensive rotors on the market with good performance. The pads have always been regarded well. I'm sure I looked at reviews back then as well, but I don't think I was as anal then as I am now. (Will most likely progressively get more anal with age too! )

You're a Platinum member, so you're able to see my journal in that section. Check the first post.
Alin,

Thanks again. I spent some time looking at the different brands from yesterday into today. I see why you chose what you did. I really like the DBA rotors. Comparing them alone. It seemed really easy to buy those. Pads were a bit more. I ended up getting the Hawk hps 5.0. Stoptech was my next choice. Price was about what i expected, but super helpful was tire rack had all of them in stock.

Really appreciate you responding. It was Very helpful!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hawk HPS "5.0" is interesting, to say the least. I'd be curious if they include any information in the box on what revisions were made (especially over the years).

Pads came yesterday. Nothing in the box talking about differences. Took pic of what they wrote on the outside though.
5835370abf4af1d0369049387f0b19a9.jpg
a973f4da06b58d4a5d9eefc120a15540.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow, I didn't know they were located 20 minutes away from me! :lol:

I don't know how brake pads are created, but I'm assuming they perfected their design over time. :tup:

Are you going to be swapping everything in when the rotors arrive? Will you do a review? (Initial and an updated a week or month later?)

Wow, I didn't know they were located 20 minutes away from me!

I don't know how brake pads are created, but I'm assuming they perfected their design over time. :tup:

Are you going to be swapping everything in when the rotors arrive? Will you do a review? (Initial and an updated a week or month later?)
You bet! Was even thinking about doing a video on the swap out.

Holy crap!

So I ordered the wrong rotors for my 18 STI. I got the DBA 4000, but they fit 17 and down. So i contact DBA and they do have ones to fit the 18, but they are 400 bucks each! Needless to say as much as i wanted the DBA's, could do the 800. Ended up getting the Stoptech ones for now. Super bummed right now! I hope they preform well.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oh, wow... Is it due to the 2018+ models having the 6pot calipers?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm late to the party, but beyond pad/rotor choice you should look into a few other upgrades.

Brakes ducts: getting cool air into the wheel wells will really really help cooling. Especially with below...
Backing plates: getting that cool air aimed directly at the back of the rotor is even better. Even stock brakes can take enormous abuse with ducts and backing plates.
Time shims: I have yet to see scientific data, but shims theory help keep the heat it of the caliper itself, saving fluid, Pistons, boots, etc...

I did some Home Depot Racing break ducts for incredibly cheap. Granted it was a different chassis, but I bet you could do the same.

I had to buy backing plates, but with some power tools and a welder there be reason you couldn't do this yourself.

Ti shims were cheap, I just ordered those.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Review in a week?!

Man, those 6 pot calipers are so sexy!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You could post it here and also start a new review thread in this same section!