Turbo selection

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Hello everyone. After scouring the Internet about turbos, every car modded has an aftermarket intake. I want to go bigger than stock, but I want to keep the stock air box. I have been looking at turbos comparable to 16/18/20g gtx2867/2871/3067r. Would these turbos go well with the stock air box? I'm looking for something that will not require to go aftermarket intake, and stay within tolerance of the stock air flow housing and map sensor.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
As long as it has a 2.4" inlet and sits in the stock location, it should work with the stock air box.

Give Tomei a look. I recently switch the turbo the 8265 because I was looking for better mid range and spool over the Blouch Dominator 3 but looking also for less power. It was not a down grade at all. In fact the car is faster over all than the Dom 3. It spools much quicker and maintains power to red line with no noticeable taper. It comes in a smaller package than the Dominator and it is similar in characteristics to a 20GXT or a GT2876. Tomei has all kind of data and research and the quality is phenomenal. A kit comes with every little conceivable part so it is truly plug and play and the price is very reasonable.

Best turbo choice I ever made.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Also look into building up the stock turbo. 6 speed star has some great options that'll really up the performance. Holy probably (ie definitely) knows more than I do, but i've read some good things.

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

I've looked into the Tomei and 6star. Those were candidates, too. I'm thinking the tomei as I'm on higher than stock compression. 9.0 to be exact. Also, with e85, the stock turbo acceleration is explosive down low. The 6star is not readily available according to the website. I may look into the Tomei.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I will say this about the Tomei though. It definitely requires tuning because the waste gate is set high from the factory. I had to turn mine down because it was over boosting to 27 PSI even with very low waste gate duty.

Now my car is in the shop for head gaskets as a result. :tard:

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

I will say this about the Tomei though. It definitely requires tuning because the waste gate is set high from the factory. I had to turn mine down because it was over boosting to 27 PSI even with very low waste gate duty.

Now my car is in the shop for head gaskets as a result. :tard:
How hard is the spring?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you have an sti then it should be 2.4 inches stock. The Tomei is a stock s fitment tourbo. Besides my car, we also installed it on an 07 sti.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

If you have an sti then it should be 2.4 inches stock. The Tomei is a stock s fitment tourbo. Besides my car, we also installed it on an 07 sti.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I guess I miscommunicated. On the hotside were the uppipe connects to is about 1.75" stock. How big is it on the Tomei? It looks bigger. Yes, I agree the compressor inlet is 2.4".

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I guess I miscommunicated. On the hotside were the uppipe connects to is about 1.75" stock. How big is it on the Tomei? It looks bigger. Yes, I agree the compressor inlet is 2.4".

Oh no worries... The hot side will mate to stock as well. That is true for just about any turbo made for Subaru that is not rotated. The Tomei will come with gaskets and oil and water lines and all necessary hardware, so you shouldn't need to buy anything else.

It should be good for around 400 whp and even more on E85. I managed to tune mine to near 500 on E85 but that was on the ragged edge of safety and i have since brought it down to 350 because I'm not so interested in so much power but drivability and power band for street driving. That seems to be the sweet spot with this torbo.

Last edited:

301BOOSTED.COM

Inactive Vendor
As long as it has a 2.4" inlet and sits in the stock location, it should work with the stock air box.

Best turbo choice I ever made.

Thumbs up to HolyCrapItsFast.

Sent from the hands 301BOOSTED.

We thank you for your commitment!
Email or call about PARTS & TUNING today.
Tom@301boosted.com
301-500-0632

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Oh no worries... The hot side will mate to stock as well. That is true for just about any turbo made for Subaru that is not rotated. The Tomei will come with gaskets and oil and water lines and all necessary hardware, so you shouldn't need to buy anything else.

It should be good for around 400 whp and even more on E85. I managed to tune mine to near 500 on E85 but that was on the ragged edge of safety and i have since brought it down to 350 because I'm not so interested in so much power but drivability and power band for street driving. That seems to be the sweet spot with this torbo.
Exactly what I was after. Nothing with crazy power. I enjoy driving, not seeing how powerful I can get the car up to. Make it kind of like the formula Porsche did with the Cayman GT4.

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Also look into building up the stock turbo. 6 speed star has some great options that'll really up the performance. Holy probably (ie definitely) knows more than I do, but i've read some good things.
Hopefully you achieve your goal. It sounds like it's going to be a great build.

I am looking for a new turbo as well. I want to be at the 425-450 AWHP on e85 but not sure which turbo I should go with. I have looked at the FP Green, Blouch 20g XT-r, Blouch 1.5XT-r and now that Tomei 8265. Will any of those get me there? I have an AEM 320 fuel pump, 1000cc injectors, catless downpipe, EWG. I will be adding a turbo inlet and upgraded TMIC but not sure which brands on those yet. If I cant reach that HP goal with that will 272 cams help?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
My long term thoughts on the Tomei are that it still loses top end which is important for highway pulls It's like a 20GXT. I miss my Dominator 3 for that. The new engine that I am building is going to use the Tomei Pon Cams and I am putting the Dominator back on.

The Dom 3 or the FP black would be a good candidate to get you comfortably to your goal. I achieved 424 with the Dom 3 on pump gas and stock cams and a safe tune. With E85 it is easy peazy to get you to your goal. I kind of want you to try the FP black though. I hear good things.

When would an FP Black spool up? From what I have seen it doesn't spool up until 4500rpm or later and looks to keep pulling past stock redline.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
When would an FP Black spool up? From what I have seen it doesn't spool up until 4500rpm or later and looks to keep pulling past stock redline.

I'm not sure but you have to sacrifice something when you start getting up there in boost. This is going to be pretty much true with any turbo you seek for a goal much past 400whp. The Dom 3 spools to peak around 4500 but usable boost is available sooner. I would imagine the Black is similar. If you are familiar with a GTX3076R, it is similar to that