Older gentlemen, what were you doing before WRX's and STi's took over?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Self explanatory title. What were you doing before Subaru changed the tuner industry in the USA with the launch of the WRX and STi? Were you into DSM's? Were you into big muscle V8's? Tell us!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Like what's the age here?

?Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Someone who wasn't 16 around the year 2000. :tard:

I'd say anyone over 25 who knew their way around a car back then, but age shouldn't restrict who shares their story. For example, in 2000, I was 8 years old. Clearly, I could not have experienced those times! :tup:

:lol:

Well in the early 2000's I remember fox body mustangs, SS camaros and WS6 trans-ams being everywhere . It is funny that by today's standards those are slow cars in their stock form but we used to think they were so fast. My friend and I would race his 88 Fiero Gt and my 01 Focus ZX-3. Yes they were crap cars but all we could afford but could beat on those damn V-tech Hondas all day long. I stopped street racing before the STI came out in 04. My brother did have a Eagle Talon TSi for a few years which was an awesome car.

Well I had a 3rd Gen, which wasnt a real DSM but! I did get a chance to work on a 1st Gen Eclipse, lil project car my buddy had. Good times!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How did the introduction of the WRX in 2002 change things?

How did the introduction of the STi in 2004 change things?

I was honestly a Mitsubishi fan hanging out with all kinds of 1st 2nd 3rd Gen Eclipses and Evo's. I always wanted an Evo for the longest time.
Until @patgotasti let me drive his 06 STi back in 09 I think, I was immediately sold :lol:

I had my 390 big block 1967 Ford Rustang GTA as my daily driver till I had some suspension issues which caused me to park it as a project car and buy my sti.

That project car was added to my collection of project cars of a 1968 charger (only a 318) 1968 dart (340 with a 4 speed I was going to turn in to a quarter mile beast) and a turbo corvair with more donor corvairs I'd care to disclose.

Unfortunately when I had my first born and decided to move states all my project cars were sold and I kept the sti that is now my rust free project car lol.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Well in the early 2000's I remember fox body mustangs, SS camaros and WS6 trans-ams being everywhere . It is funny that by today's standards those are slow cars in their stock form but we used to think they were so fast. My friend and I would race his 88 Fiero Gt and my 01 Focus ZX-3. Yes they were crap cars but all we could afford but could beat on those damn V-tech Hondas all day long. I stopped street racing before the STI came out in 04. My brother did have a Eagle Talon TSi for a few years which was an awesome car.

i gotta say im still a big fan of WS-6 Trans ams.

before i was introduced to Subaru i was always around big v8 muscle. i would still prefer one of those over the Japanese cars but when it comes to practicality and driving everyday nothing beats a Jap car.

i gotta say im still a big fan of WS-6 Trans ams.

before i was introduced to Subaru i was always around big v8 muscle. i would still prefer one of those over the Japanese cars but when it comes to practicality and driving everyday nothing beats a Jap car.
I was looking at the ws6 and so camaros along with the SRT8 chargers when I was shopping for my car in 06.

I almost **** a kitten at the insurance cost of a late model SS or WS6 so I decided to narrow search down to 4 door and was looking at evolution, sti, SRT4 neon. I went to test drive a black loaded SRT4 and being tall it wasn't a good choice the sales person asked what I thought and I said it's a fun car but my knee hit the dash when I went to shift so it's a no go. He then looked at me and said well that's why their called a neon. A knee on this a knee on that oh yeah by the way we have a sti that was just traded in would you like to test drive that? So I test drove it and that's how I purchased my sti lol.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] How tall are you and how do you fit in your STi?

[MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] How tall are you and how do you fit in your STi?
I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall and the neon was a terrible fit but the sti is a good fit for me

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=2312]STIGR-Wagon-Dad[/MENTION] Dude! Please post some pictures! I love Truenos! Initial D FTW! :lol: [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] Gotcha, you definitely have way more room than I do. I barely fit in my GD now, but I have grown since I was 18 when I first got it. The smallest car that had the most room for me was a BRZ! Of call cars! :doh:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dude.... That's so fucking sick!!!! :tup: Tell me more about your experience with them and what you guys used to do back in the day!!!

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Dude.... That's so fucking sick!!!! :tup: Tell me more about your experience with them and what you guys used to do back in the day!!!
I still want another one, but I won't with this so called drift tax. They are really easy to work on. No power, but on winding roads is where it shines shaming cars with superior engines and chassis of the day. Most of my friends in the Toyota world don't like the 4AG and they swap 22RE in its place. We did high compression/big cams and messed with sensors to squeeze out power and response. A lot of JDM electronics didn't work with the fuel injection system so some went side draft carbs. I messed with the sensors and it worked well at the time. I went to the mountains and went down hill as fast as I could. Did some drifting, but it's kinda hard to do in a car with no torque and light weight. I had to let go the red car back in 2011. I had the car since 94.

[MENTION=2312]STIGR-Wagon-Dad[/MENTION] , I loved the Ae86's as well but takes a special type of talent/craziness to drive those down hill because you have to maintain your speed to slide around.

When I was a teenager my neighbor had a 1st gen talon, 2nd gen eclipse and a galant vr-4. Naturally I always wanted a AWD beast, and eventually bought a 1st gen talon that had a spun rod bearing. However, it didn't really matter what I had back in then I would drive it as hard as it would go and then some ....lol crashed a few cars.... but thankfully I got that all out of my system before I bought my Talon and then later my 04 STI.

That being said back around 2000 I was looking for my 93 Eagle Talon TSI. When I bought it the engine had a spun rod bearing, and the tranny grind in a few gears. Fast forward 2 years I got the Motor built with JE forged pistons stock crank and rods, those engines where built tuff, balance shafts removed and plugged, and arp hardware all the way though. Still needed injectors and a tune when I sold it. Trans mission was built by TRE and shifted like butter. External engine mods included 3" exhaust and EVO III Big 16G turbo. Theres a ton of other mods i did to it as well, might even find some old pictures of it. However, I had to sell it right before i bought the house about 6 years ago since I was short on down payment. Which led me to buying my 04 STI with 107K on the odometer.