ENGINE REBUILD?

darkgsxr

hey new user and new to subi's bought a 06sti it has 90k and not my dd i have cobb v3 and staged 3 i guess you call it with custom tune only running 280bhp but i noticed some of the signs of a bad headgasket i put rad and thermo water pump and timing belt were done about 70k according to the dealer records but it burns some coolant. i did a cheap pressure test using one of the coolant lines only up to 10psi and noticed a few bubbles from the pass side head so think ima take in to a shop here near sacramento ca. i didn't really wanna do a motor build as i haven't paid the thing of but if they have to pull the motor i feel like i should do something more. for now i think 400hp would be fine seems to be a lot of threads about ringland failure and going to arb studs. just wondering how much $ im looking at or what else i should being doing with the motor out?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
List the mods in numbered order so it can be read more easily. Example:

1)
2)
3)
ect

These fine gents will be able to help you out! :tup:
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION]

darkgsxr

hey sry think I put this in wrong section
1)cobb intake
2)cobb turbo back exhaust
3)cobb v3 with custom tune
4)3port boost solenoid
5)koyo radiator
6)aem fuel pump

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Already moved it for you. :tup:

TK-421

Your looking at anywhere from $3800 to $5000 for engine work with forged internals. Your going to need machine work especially because of the head gasket damage, the head and block mating surfaces will have to be decked and milled. If your going to drop pistons into it, you'll need the cylinders cross hatched and honed, if your going to reuse the crank you'll need that turned and polished at the least and balanced to your new rods.

Building an engine really isn't as simple as 1,2,3. Ideally most shops including myself will prefer a new crankshaft, new bearings, new rods, new pistons, and new case halves. You'll also have to factor in gaskets as well and labor on top of the price stated above.

Never cheap out on engine work, pay to play, and ALWAYS pay for top notch quality service.

darkgsxr

Thanks tk I knew it would cheap I just wasn't wanting to rebuild the motor just yet but if I'm taking it out I might as well. Now I'm just wondering how far to go like a new clutch valve springs ect without going full on hardcore

TK-421

Don't mess with the cylinder heads, that's when reliability goes out the window, and tuning get tedious. Unless your dragging the car or doing any hardcore racing, you should be fine with just a built short block.

darkgsxr

im not planning ongoing cazy maybe 400hp whenyou sy built shor block what all upgrades are you referring to?

TK-421

New crankshaft, new rod bearings, new main bearings, H-Beam Rods, forged Pistons, and machine work on the block, have it hot tanked, and the cylinder walls honed and cross hatched. Make sure the piston to wall clearance is with in spec and take the extra time to blueprint the block, use plasti gauge to check bearing clearances, and use a dial gauge to check end play in the crank, I would also have the mains line honed as well.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Oh boy, this can get complicated, and expensive. I will try to come back later and list a few more things, but for now let me suggest an IAG shortblock through Jordan [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION] . Of course there is a ton of stuff that doesn't come with a built shortblock that you'll need to order and replace as this goes along, such as a water pump, oil pump, timing kit, PCV lines, fuel injectors, fuel pump, full gasket kit, and on and on and on and on... I'm in the middle of an engine build right now (with an IAG shortblock) and though Jordan always provides amazing pricing, it is definitely more expensive than I have originally planned for.

Live and learn, I guess. :unsure:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Oh boy, this can get complicated, and expensive. I will try to come back later and list a few more things, but for now let me suggest an IAG shortblock through Jordan @Defined Performance . Of course there is a ton of stuff that doesn't come with a built shortblock that you'll need to order and replace as this goes along, such as a water pump, oil pump, timing kit, PCV lines, fuel injectors, fuel pump, full gasket kit, and on and on and on and on... I'm in the middle of an engine build right now (with an IAG shortblock) and though Jordan always provides amazing pricing, it is definitely more expensive than I have originally planned for.

Live and learn, I guess. :unsure:

It's ALIVE!!!

...quite the thread resurrection haha but please share anything about your build that you haven't already, I'd be interested to hear the specifics.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
:lol: Ah shit, I didn't even see that until now (the 2014 thread date). I blame [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] for bringing this back from the dead.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] , we have a new offense to add to the list for [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]! False accusations, I say! I think we've had enough of his shenanigans and it's time to finally ban him! :fuji:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Seriously...how did I come across this. I could have sworn Alin bumped the thread. Strange... :unsure: