Round 2: My 2015 Galaxy Blue Journal

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You do know that you have to tell the story of choosing the STi over the RS, right?! Since you're a spreadsheet kind of guy, show me your notes! All of them! :lol:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
You do know that you have to tell the story of choosing the STi over the RS, right?! Since you're a spreadsheet kind of guy, show me your notes! All of them!
Haha o you know there was a spreadsheet. I'll see if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Flashing the stage 1 map went well. Going to log some on the way home. Currently out with my little buddy at a local arcade/playplace.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Pretty sure the spreadsheet got tossed. I think it was done on paper along with numerous lists comparing pros and cons. The gist of it went something like this:

15+ STi
PROS:
Looks
Exhaust Sound
Great AWD system
Tried and true motor that I am experienced with
A lot of available mods
Comfortable/safe for the family

CONS:
Stock Power and amenities are on the weak side for a car that costs this much
Cost (retain value too well)...pro once you own it
Tough to find a used one that hasn't been modified to hell and back, abused, and vaped in
Cost part 2: I will want to mod it even though I say I wont...
Weak gas mileage**

Focus RS
PROS:
Looks good
A lot of performance and tech in a small package
More stock power than STi
Some cool features (built in launch control), Ford wants you to have fun with this car
Good value, should retain value with limited production
Better gas mileage than STi

CONS:
It's still a Ford Focus...
No clue how to work on the motor, expensive repairs?
Supposedly the car is maxed out and would require a lot of work to get more power out of it
Exhaust sound sucks
Slightly more expensive than the STi
Wife thinks it's ugly, sounds stupid, and isn't very comfortable (smart woman)

So ultimately I made the decision to go STi based on my knowledge of the motor and how to work on it, the awesome boxer rumble, and the opportunity to mod and have a better car than the RS.
**since owning the STi I have averaged between 26-27mpg and that could improve with the Cobb stage 1 map I just flashed. I don't think I would have done better on the RS.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Modification Update:

I just ordered a short shifter kit and adjustable lower control arms. So this brings my list of mods to:

Front Lip
Vortex Generator
Rear Spats
Rally Armour Mud Flaps
OEM Subaru Side Window Deflectors (not yet installed)
Prosport Premium EVO oil pressure gauge (shipping now)
Custom gauge mount (designing now)
Prosport oil filter adapter plate (shipping now)
Cobb AccessPort v3
Torque Solution Short Shifter Kit (shipping now)
Whiteline Lowering Springs (not yet installed)
SuperPro adjustable lower control arms (shipping now)

Still debating about what to do regarding wheels, carbon driveshaft, and if I want to add a wideband.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks for posting the comparisons. :tup:

-What do (did?) you consider as "weak MPG?" (26-27 is really good for an STi.)
-If ~240 WHP from stock form is weak, what do you think the car should've come with from the factory?

What I didn't like about the Focus RS was that it was indeed tuned to the maximum potential from the factory. If I recall correctly, it's normal target boost is right around 20-21 PSI. The car is first and foremost a FWD car and every dyno video that I have seen disengages the rear diff/wheels.... Peak power is actually observed during a brief couple of seconds with OVERBOOST... (Much like the new S209 will achieve peak peformance...)

I'm curious as to how your average MPG has changed from the moment you flashed over to Stage 1. Please observe and report in about a week! I also want to know what your peak boost is at now, so please keep an eye on the boost gauge and attempt some WOT's.

Why adjustable lower control arms? Can you link me the actual product? Why are they better than the stock ones?

In the day or two that you've been on Stage 1, what aspects of driving have you noticed change in comparison to the stock tune?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Thanks for posting the comparisons. :tup:

-What do (did?) you consider as "weak MPG?" (26-27 is really good for an STi.)
-If ~240 WHP from stock form is weak, what do you think the car should've come with from the factory?

What I didn't like about the Focus RS was that it was indeed tuned to the maximum potential from the factory. If I recall correctly, it's normal target boost is right around 20-21 PSI. The car is first and foremost a FWD car and every dyno video that I have seen disengages the rear diff/wheels.... Peak power is actually observed during a brief couple of seconds with OVERBOOST... (Much like the new S209 will achieve peak peformance...)

I'm curious as to how your average MPG has changed from the moment you flashed over to Stage 1. Please observe and report in about a week! I also want to know what your peak boost is at now, so please keep an eye on the boost gauge and attempt some WOT's.

Why adjustable lower control arms? Can you link me the actual product? Why are they better than the stock ones?

In the day or two that you've been on Stage 1, what aspects of driving have you noticed change in comparison to the stock tune?

My built 06 STi got about 15mpg and I expected around 20-21mpg from the 15 I have now. So my expectations were pretty low on gas mileage. I have been thrilled with 26-27 and did reset my Trip B to track gas mileage after the tune. In the brief 6 miles (after trip reset) on the way home I got 28mpg with at least 2 WOT, but otherwise normal driving. I really don?t drive on the highway with it and when I do my mileage decreases. The sweet spot on these is between 40-55mph in my experience.

240whp was good 15, heck even 10 years ago. They didn?t need to go nuts, but with a little effort and minimal expense they could have upped power more than the 5hp they have over that time. I understand it comes down to how they are taxed and essentially penalized for reporting higher power and emissions, especially if that is at the expense of gas mileage.

The RS is cool for what it is. IMO it is for people who want a fast street car and don?t want to think about it. Get in, go fast, get on with their other hobbies. I don?t think many ?tuner? people were drawn to it. It feels like it targets a crowd similar to the corvette, not that either segment don?t have those who will mod it.

Adjustable lower control arms as a way to change camber in the rear. You can?t adjust camber without them. I am planning to go ahead and install my Whiteline springs I already own rather than coil overs. I?ll see how I like them and go from there.

Stage 1 tune has a smoothness to it. Hard to explain but it seems to have taken away some of the jerkiness. One thing that I am not sure how I feel about yet is the accelerator response. I always used Sport mode before, but put it in S# just to get a more natural feeling accelerator. It feels like it has too much dead space at the beginning which is opposite of how it was from the factory. Somewhere in between would be nice. I believe target boost in S# is now 17 or 17.5lbs. I did some data logging on the way home but with the roads I was on and my son in the car I did not wind it out very far. I will try to look at the data sometime this weekend.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Never heard of em. Whats their reputation like? Weight? Strength?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Never heard of em. Whats their reputation like? Weight? Strength?

I haven?t found any stories of issues with strength other than one that was actually a set of Rotas :doh: They are roto forged.

In terms of weight, the 18x9.5 is 20lbs each. A couple lbs lighter than my stock BBS limited wheels.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
The FedEx man brought me goodies today!

Install should commence in the next few weeks. Still, need to make my gauge holder though.

a855d0ab63c29f70abaf3cadbb24cd01.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Never heard of Ambit before. $810 for a set of 4 brand new rims is great! As long as you've researched information about them and seeked out others' reviews pertaining to quality, you should be good to go.

Another idea! Do you like the EVO MR BBS rims? Since you're 5x114, they'd fit on your car if you like the style. I absolutely love most BBS rim styles outside of the wire spoke ones. You have to research as to what the going prices are for a set, though.

80629d1319804423-evo-x-mr-bbs-wheels-dsc00832.jpg

Edit: I just realized that both your stock rims and the EVO MR BBS rims are somewhat similar in their designs! :lol:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Current situation:
Short shifter & bushings, lowering springs, LCAs, oil pressure gauge, wideband, fuel pump, and wind deflectors are awaiting install within the next month.

Future plans:
As much as it pains me, I will probably just stick with my current wheels/tires until the tread is worn out. In the mean time I will keep an eye out on the used wheel market.
I've been talking with Holy about e-tuning. We were discussing e85 but there are very few stations within a reasonable area. So I am not sure on that yet. I did get the wideband so I can start logging from it and get him some better numbers.
Beyond that I'll just see what breaks first or I find a good deal on.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Current situation:
Short shifter & bushings, lowering springs, LCAs, oil pressure gauge, wideband, fuel pump, and wind deflectors are awaiting install within the next month.

Future plans:
As much as it pains me, I will probably just stick with my current wheels/tires until the tread is worn out. In the mean time I will keep an eye out on the used wheel market.
I've been talking with Holy about e-tuning. We were discussing e85 but there are very few stations within a reasonable area. So I am not sure on that yet. I did get the wideband so I can start logging from it and get him some better numbers.
Beyond that I'll just see what breaks first or I find a good deal on.

What's LCA? Right now the only thing i can think of is "life cycle assessment"

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What's LCA? Right now the only thing i can think of is "life cycle assessment"

Haha lower control arms

EDIT: as I thought about this more...how was "life cycle assessment" what popped into your head?

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Check out Wheeldude.com They usually have pretty good prices. Also, I'm sure many of our forum vendors sell wheels. For example, Jordan [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION] carries Enkei's.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Check out Wheeldude.com They usually have pretty good prices. Also, I'm sure many of our forum vendors sell wheels. For example, Jordan @Defined Performance carries Enkei's.

Yeah I was thinking I discussed wheels with Jordan before and he said he didnt carry any. Maybe he has started to since then or stopped since he did in the past. Either way I will check with him again. I am actually selling something from a different hobby that will cover the cost of wheels and tires so I think I will be back on the search today.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What other hobbies do you have?