New here and first time Subaru owner.

Valenz

Just wanted to say what's up, picked up my 2016 STI last year and it's my first Subaru and put 17k miles on in the last year. Absolutely love the car! Currently have intake, TBE and fuel pump protune done pulled 315/360 to the wheels. Shes going back in next week for a flex fuel upgrade and tune.

2zxq9o0.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Nice ride and nice dyno numbers! :tup:

What other cars have you had in the past? Since you're pretty much squared away on power modifications, what do you plan to do with suspension, rims, and tires?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome! We need pics!

And dont forget the suspension, power's not everything!

Valenz

Thanks, I had a 93 NX2000 that I swapped a SR20VE into. What a fun little car that was. I'm coming out of a 2014 Genesi coupe 2.0 R-spec car was fully bolted and tuned and put down some impressive numbers. Miss the car bought it new 5 years ago but wasn't practical for NY winters.

I am leaning towards some nice coils and swapping our the rear brace, I also want to change the motor and transmission mounts and maybe a CF driveshaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Thanks, I had a 93 NX2000 that I swapped a SR20VE into. What a fun little car that was. I'm coming out of a 2014 Genesi coupe 2.0 R-spec car was fully bolted and tuned and put down some impressive numbers. Miss the car bought it new 5 years ago but was practical for NY winters.

I am leaning towards some nice coils and swapping our the rear brace, I also want to change the motor and transmission mounts and maybe a CF driveshaft.

Utilize our vendors here like Jordan [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION] for your upcoming projects. He has saved me some money over the years for sure and he actually just quoted me a carbon driveshaft that I am strongly considering! Enjoy the forums!

Valenz

Utilize our vendors here like Jordan @DefinedPerformance for your upcoming projects. He has saved me some money over the years for sure and he actually just quoted me a carbon driveshaft that I am strongly considering! Enjoy the forums!

Awesome thanks for the info there are a couple of things I'm going to be looking into by summer.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
My name is marie and i am from newyork. :)
Well currently i am using Honda.
I am now planning to switch to subaru thats why i am here.

Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! you're going to absolutely love it here! Start another introductory thread for yourself with ANY and ALL questions that you may have! (I'll ask you questions in there as well to help point you in the right direction.)

Valenz

Okay, took my car in a coupe of weeks ago for my flex fuel kit install (Delicious tuning kit) as well as Cobb 1050 injectors and 3 port EBC. I asked for a conservative tune and I'm very happy with the results. Ended up with a peak of 343 HP and 365 TQ IIRC. I will try to post the dyno. Overall the drive ability is so much better especially in I mode which I use often. Very responsive now in the lower range. I don't notice too much difference in in fuel economy. On 93 I was getting 210-220 per tank (full to between 1/4 and empty). Now I am getting 170-190 between the same area under the same conditions. I have a e85 pump 3 blocks from my house so it helps. The price is 1.99 per gallon and 93 is 3.13 so I'm actually saving at this point.

The smell is nice :D and sweet. All in all I am very happy with the tune and flex setup. My next modification will be Race Comp yellows and a rear sway bar. I'm also looking at upgrading the transmission and motor mounts and by next year have the bottom end built. My overall goal is 500WHP.

20190325-123517-HDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20190309-125839-HDR.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Having e85 nearby is awesome!

I wonder if the fuel economy is because you drive harder with all the extra powah!!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
You mentioned being at 315/360 before the flex fuel and new tune, and now are at 343/365? I feel like you should have gained a fair amount of torque. Glad to hear you had a good shop experience though. It seems too many people have bad shop/tuner experiences. Any thoughts on which turbo you would like to go with to meet your goal?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Okay, took my car in a coupe of weeks ago for my flex fuel kit install (Delicious tuning kit) as well as Cobb 1050 injectors and 3 port EBC. I asked for a conservative tune and I'm very happy with the results. Ended up with a peak of 343 HP and 365 TQ IIRC. I will try to post the dyno. Overall the drive ability is so much better especially in I mode which I use often. Very responsive now in the lower range. I don't notice too much difference in in fuel economy. On 93 I was getting 210-220 per tank (full to between 1/4 and empty). Now I am getting 170-190 between the same area under the same conditions. I have a e85 pump 3 blocks from my house so it helps. The price is 1.99 per gallon and 93 is 3.13 so I'm actually saving at this point.

The smell is nice :D and sweet. All in all I am very happy with the tune and flex setup. My next modification will be Race Comp yellows and a rear sway bar. I'm also looking at upgrading the transmission and motor mounts and by next year have the bottom end built. My overall goal is 500WHP.

Those are pretty good numbers, especially for a conservative tune. On stock internals, it's always best to be on the safe side. Those fuel economy numbers are kinda borderline. Like, as if there could be something not quite right. Don't freak out just yet, but keep an eye on that as time goes on and let us know if it gets worse.

I have Race Comp yellows. They perform pretty well, but for a daily driver they might be a little bit too rough, especially on crappy roads. I might recommend the Race Comp blacks. If my Subaru was still my daily, I'd probably install the blacks. You don't need a strong spring for good handling, especially when you add in sways and other goodies. To each their own though.

500whp is definitely attainable (that's what my built motor will be tuned for). That said, you have to go about it in the right manner, and even then it'll be pretty expensive. Don't make any snap decisions on mods.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I've heard good things about the RCE Blacks. I am about to install Whiteline springs on mine this Saturday and will be reporting on them in the review section. They sit in between the Yellows and Blacks in drop with a similar spring rate to stock (for the 15+ STi).

In regards to the gas mileage, it drops by about 30% on e85 doesnt it? So that will account for a good bit of the before and after difference. I currently get 24mpg on the Cobb Stage 1 OTS map. I would only expect 17mpg going to e85, pretty significant drop.

My 06 only got about 16mpg on 93 so I would have been at about 11 on e85 haha (but it would have been up around 500whp so I guesssss that isn't tooooo bad...no that is still bad)

Last edited:

Valenz

I was told we should keep the TQ down if I didn't want to buy a new clutch right away and it will be much safer on the bottom end. I could have easily had 400+ WTQ I was told but I am okay with 360 for now with my current setup. My new 93 tune is set at 313/315 I think I have to get the dyno sheet uploaded.

Not sure whats up with my MPGs on 93, but in the summer I would average about 250 -260 MPG using T6 oil and in the winter it got worse 200-230 depending on my habits. Also, I have a 30 mile commute each way in NY rush hour traffic, so my round trip for the day is usually 2.5-3 hours in the car. I'm sure that plays a large part in my bad MPG. Another thing, my tuner told me to stop using T6 and he recommends M1 EP 5w30. They use it in all their cars and all the cars they tune. I honestly would still feel safer with a 40w especially running E.

I'll take the advice on the RCE blacks as I have a long commute on horrible roads. I have a list of parts still yet to purchase. Header, AOS, intercooler, Turbo (not sure what route yet) & not sure if I'll need bigger injectors from my goals.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What size pump and injectors do you have now? Those flex fuel kits usually spec 1050s but you will need more for 500whp if I am not mistaken @HolyCrapItsFast [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Equal length headers? Front mount or bigger top mount?

Valenz

What size pump and injectors do you have now? Those flex fuel kits usually spec 1050s but you will need more for 500whp if I am not mistaken @HolyCrapItsFast @BatmobileEngage

Equal length headers? Front mount or bigger top mount?

I have a AEM 340lph and 1050 injectors. I think the 1050s should be good for 450 on E and I might need 1300s for more.

Looking at getting ELH and a bigger top mount.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
What size pump and injectors do you have now? Those flex fuel kits usually spec 1050s but you will need more for 500whp if I am not mistaken @HolyCrapItsFast @Batmobile_Engage

I have a AEM 340lph and 1050 injectors. I think the 1050s should be good for 450 on E and I might need 1300s for more.

I don't know what the kits come with, but for a 500whp goal and the expectation of running E85, I'd suggest a Walbro 460 LPH pump, FIC 1650cc injectors and a Tomei Type-L fuel pressure regulator.*

*You probaly want aftermarket fuel rails as well. (I don't know what the factory rails will support.)

Valenz

I don't know what the kits come with, but for a 500whp goal and the expectation of running E85, I'd suggest a Walbro 460 LPH pump, FIC 1650cc injectors and a Tomei Type-L fuel pressure regulator.*

*You probaly want aftermarket fuel rails as well. (I don't know what the factory rails will support.)

Good advice, thanks. I have some more research to do and I have sometime as I am not looking to move forward until next year.

I honestly was just going to do pistons, AOS, Intercooler , header and 20G and be done with it but I know I'll want to push it further.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Good advice, thanks. I have some more research to do and I have sometime as I am not looking to move forward until next year.

I honestly was just going to do pistons, AOS, Intercooler , header and 20G and be done with it but I know I'll want to push it further.

I have a stock location GT3071R that I'm going to clean up and sell. That's slightly larger than a 20G and would be great for your current power goals.

Of course you could always buy a much larger turbo, one that would eventually support 500whp, and just run a mild tune until you rebuild the engine with forged internals. That was my original plan, and I didn't realize at the time (was young and dumb) that said turbo wouldn't get me there.

Speaking of ultimate power goals. You wouldn't be crazy to run a FMIC after a turbo upgrade. TMICs are great for response and spool, but they will ultimately restrict your peak power potential. The general rule of thumb is, a GT30 sized turbo is about as big as you can go on any TMIC. This can be mitigated through E85 or methanol, but that's another long story. Basically, for 500whp AND reliability, you will most likely require a FMIC.

I say all this because I made many mistakes over the years, buying mods that were great, but eventually needed to be replaced with something bigger. That of course costs even more time and money. I could have saved a lot of both by buying the right stuff the first time.

Hopefully you can learn from our mistakes along the way. :tup:

Lastly, I am of the opinion that if you choose to commit the USDM Subaru sin of running an equal length header AND are upgrading the turbo, the only thing that will save you from an eternity in hell is a twin-scroll turbo. :lol:

Last edited: