Exhuast

STIhawkeye07

Is there anyone in the state of PA that has a catless exhuast setup? If so, how do you pass inspection without a catalytic convertor?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Is there anyone in the state of PA that has a catless exhuast setup? If so, how do you pass inspection without a catalytic convertor?

We do, but no emissions where we're at.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I haven't lived in PA for a while, but if I remember correctly, there are only certain jurisdictions that perform emissions tests. However, state inspectors are supposed to visually verify that there is a catalytic converter installed and nothing more on exhaust emissions. So the way I see it, you can shop around for a mechanic that will look the overlook your lack of catalytic converter if you do not live in an emissions controlled city. Otherwise, if you must have a cat, you could acquire a downpipe with a high-flow cat, remove the guts from your current cat or get a catless downpipe and weld a cat shell over the area where the cat would normally be.

I know some people that retain their stock downpipe after they purchase a catless dp. Before they go for inspections, they put the stock one on and change it back when they get home.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Doesn't PA have self echeck kiosks like OH does?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
*DISCLAIMER* Clearly catless downpipes are for offroad use only. But if we're going to have a theoretical discussion of how someone might get away with one on public roads:

Do you get a sniffer, OBDII, or visual inspection. There are ways around them all, but you gotta know what you're up against.

sniperkill

I know this is a old ass thread but I just wanted to add some info that someone else might be able to use. I have a 2014 STI and I do have a TurboXS turbo back exhaust with a TurboXS ?catless? downpipe. I live in Maryland which has emissions testing. At first I was scared that it might not pass emissions with my catless downpipe, but when the time came for me to take my car to the emissions test station, my car passed with no problems! I was sooo surprised that it passed even so that I had the girl look again to make sure she was telling me correct. She was. My car passed emissions testing with my catless downpipe!!! Yay!!

Now with that said, not all Subaru?s will pass emissions with a catless downpipe. Just cuz mine did, doesn?t mean yours will too. Every states emissions laws are different and have different people doing the testing. I say this cuz before I got my Subie I had a Toyota that I cleaned out my converter and it had problems passing emissions. I went to one emissions station and no matter what, it failed. So I went to another station, in the same county, and I pulled into the line with the youngest person doing the testing and I started talking to him telling him my car was having trouble passing. This guy says to me,? don?t worry about it, I?ll take care of it?. So I shut my mouth and he passed it. Again, if you try this, YMMV. And I do not recommend trying this cuz it is against the law to drive your car on a public street without a converter on your exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I know this is a old ass thread but I just wanted to add some info that someone else might be able to use. I have a 2014 STI and I do have a TurboXS turbo back exhaust with a TurboXS ?catless? downpipe. I live in Maryland which has emissions testing. At first I was scared that it might not pass emissions with my catless downpipe, but when the time came for me to take my car to the emissions test station, my car passed with no problems! I was sooo surprised that it passed even so that I had the girl look again to make sure she was telling me correct. She was. My car passed emissions testing with my catless downpipe!!! Yay!!

Whether you will pass without a cat depends on their test procedure and specified limits. I'd imagine the limits are pretty generous and/or they run the test with little to no load on the engine. I'm 99.9% sure you would fail in California, for example.

sniperkill

Whether you will pass without a cat depends on their test procedure and specified limits. I'd imagine the limits are pretty generous and/or they run the test with little to no load on the engine. I'm 99.9% sure you would fail in California, for example.

Yes sir, you are correct. I was editing my post for this same reason that your describing at the same time you were quoting my post, lol.

I thought that I should put a disclaimer in the post too... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eagleye

Tinkerer
As it was stated, it depends on your location. For example, I grew up in Adams County where there is a visual check "is there a cat...yep...pass". It could be gutted and not matter. Moved down the road into York County and they actually test for emissions. Whatever the computer tells them is the result, not sure if there is even a visual check.

And not to be that guy as this is just my opinion, but anyone that stumbles across this should strongly consider running a high flow cat. Outside of cost there is really no reason not too. It is much better for the environment and has little to no effect on performance. If nothing else, you are sucking in less fumes...unless you are into that sort of thing :lol: