The Batmobile_Engage Member Journal

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Starting to get more excited/anxious/worried about this build, as it starts to wind closer to completion. Heads should be back in 1.5 weeks, trans back in 3.5 weeks. Looking to buy a house soon, so I reeeeallly hope I can get it all back together before we move. Phew!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I remember being extremely nervous when they strapped my 06 onto the dyno for its first pulls. It wasn't until they were on the third pull that my anxiety levels began to come down. That was my first full motor build and I had reassembled much of the engine bay components myself. Good luck with it, I'm excited to see what you put down. Be sure to review some of the parts you used in the build (I think you have a less common turbo IIRC?). As I said in Boogiemans journal it would be a nice reference for the future.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I remember being extremely nervous when they strapped my 06 onto the dyno for its first pulls. It wasn't until they were on the third pull that my anxiety levels began to come down. That was my first full motor build and I had reassembled much of the engine bay components myself. Good luck with it, I'm excited to see what you put down. Be sure to review some of the parts you used in the build (I think you have a less common turbo IIRC?). As I said in Boogiemans journal it would be a nice reference for the future.

Yeah it's an interesting turbo. I originally wasn't so sure about it, but a friend of mine put me in touch with the guy who actually builds said turbos for BCP. He was the turbo builder for one of the Porsche USA time attack racing teams for a few decades. His knowledge of turbochargers was just so incredibly extensive, that I would have been crazy to argue with him on anything. :lol: If he says the this turbo will do XYZ, then that is the Gospel of Turbos. Spool is supposed to be incredibly fast, especially when you consider it's top end capabilities. I look forward to thoroughly putting it through the paces, once everything is ready to go.

Speaking of tuning... How did you go about the engine break-in? Did you have a base map flashed and limp it around for a while before going on the dyno? Or did you pay for a dyno break-in? I don't think I can afford a dyno break-in, so I'll probably just drive it around town very carefully, reeeeally early on weekend mornings before there's any traffic. :unsure:

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Yeah it's an interesting turbo. I originally wasn't so sure about it, but a friend of mine put me in touch with the guy who actually builds said turbos for BCP. He was the turbo builder for one of the Porsche USA time attack racing teams for a few decades. His knowledge of turbochargers was just so incredibly extensive, that I would have been crazy to argue with him on anything. :lol: If he says the this turbo will do XYZ, then that is the Gospel of Turbos. Spool is supposed to be incredibly fast, especially when you consider it's top end capabilities. I look forward to thoroughly putting it through the paces, once everything is ready to go.

Speaking of tuning... How did you go about the engine break-in? Did you have a base map flashed and limp it around for a while before going on the dyno? Or did you pay for a dyno break-in? I don't think I can afford a dyno break-in, so I'll probably just drive it around town very carefully, reeeeally early on weekend mornings before there's any traffic. :unsure:

George got me a safe tune to drive around on (not in boost) until it got dyno tuned. Following the dyno tune I changed the oil and followed the break in procedure. I cannot recall exactly what that was, but IIRC I drove normally (not in boost) for 1,000 miles. Once I hit that I changed the oil again and let it rip. Worked very well for me with almost no oil consumption. Every car is different and I would speak with the dyno shop and any machine shops you have helping with the build. Defaulting to what they recommend will not hurt you. I truly believe that changing oil at the proper break in intervals and allowing the car to properly warm up each time you drive (1-2 mins if staying low load and out of boost until full temp) will allow you to follow any number of ways to break it in with good results. The horror stories come from people going out on a cold motor and ripping on the car with 20 miles on a new build. Common sense typically prevails in the car world as it does elsewhere. Do yourself a favor and double check all fitting connections as you go and once it is all done take your time on the first couple drives. If there are no leaks, odd noises, etc. just enjoy the process and do your best to keep negative thoughts out of your mind. I lived in a state of paranoia for about 2 months due to blowing a turbo oil line after my tune. Anytime I smell burning oil there is still my immediate reaction to roll down the windows and turn off the radio as I assess whether it is my car or not...haha...yay Subarus!

In all seriousness enjoy it and try not to stress!

EDIT: I'd be interested in hearing more about the turbo, when you get the time if there is any specific info he shared with you about how it was built, design features, etc. that would be cool to hear.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
He said my other mods will effect turbo performance (of course), but I should be on peak boost by 3,400-3,700 RPMS. We'll see what my BC 272 cams will do to that time frame...

I was initially concerned about the 2.4" compressor inlet, since just about everything of that size has a 3" inlet. Plus, the inlet I already have is 3", so I had to order a 2.4" coupler. He said for this turbo, inlet size has little if any effect on spool rate or flow. Although the 2.4" inlet should make it easier to get everything to fit properly, especially with TGV deletes that I have prepared for install. A little background: during my previous, bolt-on build, I wasn't able to fit my TGV deletes with the 3" turbo inlet (AMR) and getting the factory TGV's to fit with the inlet was very difficult, but doable. Hopefully, this step-down coupler will move the inlet ever so slightly towards the middle of the block that it should clear these deletes. In case I wasn't clear before, this new turbo (and my previous GT3071r) is a stock location, IWG unit.
I don't remember the specifics, but the turbine wheel has a custom cut profile to the blades, providing early boost response without sacrificing top end. There are a few similarly modded Subies in my area running this turbo and they have been putting down 480-530whp (93/E85) and running 11.2-10.9 second 1/4 Mile's. One guy even claims 580whp with BC272 cams, though he doesn't say what fuel, I would imagine it has to be E85.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Got a bite on the old shortblock listing. Sent some close-up photos of each cylinder bore last night. Everything looked really good, especially for 71,000 miles, but haven't heard back from him yet. Hopefully he doesn't try to haggle me down, it's listed for $750. I'd love to get that much for it, as that would help pay for a sizeable chunk of my transmission work...or most of that new turbo cost...or a flex fuel and AOS cost...or... :lol:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I got a few more bites, but no takers yet. Is $750 too much? [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] [MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] [MENTION=1172]Alin[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I don't think so. I'd stay pretty strong. I sold case halves that needed sleeved for $200.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't think so either. I woukd hold on to it until it sells. Has anyone heard from Holycrapitsfast in a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I don't think so either. I woukd hold on to it until it sells. Has anyone heard from Holycrapitsfast in a while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've messaged with him a little. He started a new job/ position that is eating up most of his time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Just sold the old shortblock this afternoon for $650. :tup:

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It was such a nice day and work was slow, so I decided to take the afternoon off and do some much needed painting.

Duplicolor Engine Enamel with Ceramic, #DE1653 RED.

f5c0f03090933b7040695bf6755d8ccb.jpg

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Woah, can't wait to see the end results! I hope it turns out really well! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Aaaand its raining, so I hurried everything inside.
d23e5a9478e7c862216c61f5d6d6ce1c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How does it look and feel in person?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The boost tubes turned out okay. The intake manifold came out great though. I hoped the paint would dry a little darker, but oh well.

After painting all the boost tubes, turbo inlet and intake manifold, I think I will (eventually) paint the calipers the same color and find some matching lug nuts. Of course that will be after EVERYTHING else is done, and there is still a shit ton of work to do. At that point, I'll be replacing the front grille badge overlay with a black & red one to match everything up.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If and when you get to that point of painting the calipers yourself, please document it! I'd be interested in the process!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Other than going through a Subaru Parts Department, is there a good place to go for OEM hardware? i.e. when I snap off a seized exhaust bolt, stud, etc. what's the easiest way to replace them? The ACE Hardware near me has a great selection, but still leaves much to be desired.