The Hunting & Fishing Thread

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Looks delicious
It's all skinned, gutted and cleaned, brining in a baking soda and salt water bath in the fridge right now. It's gonna be so good. I'm going to stuff the body with mild italian sausage, wrap him in bacon and slow cook until the meat is easily pulled off the bone.

I haven't decided what route I want to go yet. Maybe a squirrel soup or stew, with cream of mushroom (or celery) or maybe a squirrel pot pie. Either way, it'll be good!

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
All of God's creatures have a special place in my life. Next to the potatoes.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yeah? Tell those animal activist people or whatever the hell they are! :lol: [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
The squirrel is almost done cooking. I'll post a picture before I annihilate it. I stuffed it with italian sausage, tied the legs together and body together with bacon and toothpicks. Seasoned it, added water, olive oil and apple pie liquer to the crock pot. Braised that for 1 hr 30 min and am now broiling it to a golden brown finish.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I tore a leg off before I could get a picture.

uploadfromtaptalk1425438209604.jpg

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looks great. Send us some.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Never had squirrel. What's the taste without all of the fluff? Gamey? Tastes like chicken, lol?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Never had squirrel. What's the taste without all of the fluff? Gamey? Tastes like chicken, lol?
It's kinda like dark meat chicken, maybe a tiny bit chewier. I personally don't think it's very gamey, but then again, I do a good job cleaning and preparing them, which makes all the difference.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Say whatttttt?!!!! How much does it cost to get one made?!

My coyote is going to cost me about $325, and that's actually a decent deal. :?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I just got off the phone with my taxidermist.

He says that the coyote skin has been tanned and dried. Now it's in the process of being stretched multiple times. ETA is roughly the end of August. He wasn't clear if he got pictures of the carcass or not but said he will send me some pictures later when he is home from work. Said that the bullet* did a ton of damage (not to the hide though) and broke multiple ribs.

* M193 55 gr. 5.56x45mm NATO Full Metal Jacket** from a Mini-14 Tactical, 16.12" barrel at 14 yards.

** Before anyone goes all PETA crazy on me, keep in my that we're talking about a 31 lb. animal, shot directly in the chest cavity. There was nothing unethical about it. The bullet was traveling at approximately 3200 fps and it's highly likely that it tumbled upon impact causing a shit ton of damage. I'd imagine that bullet yaw/tumble is a fact in this case, considering what he said about multiple ribs being broken (which I could feel myself through the hide).

Last edited:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Now class, you've just shot a deer and are tracking it. Who can tell me where this deer has been shot, based on this picture? :lol:

Lung Splatter.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Here's some more stats for you guys.

11 points; 10 typical, plus that one little brow sticker (which is actually 2" long).
Estimated Live Weight (using chest girth measurement): 244 lbs.
Field Dressed Weight: 195 lbs.
Inside spread: 18-1/2"
Outside spread: 19-1/2"

Dragged that beast 500 yards. I thought I might stroke out. :lol:

Biggest buck of my life.

The Hunting & Fishing Thread

Here's some more stats for you guys.

11 points; 10 typical, plus that one little brow sticker (which is actually 2" long).
Estimated Live Weight (using chest girth measurement): 244 lbs.
Field Dressed Weight: 195 lbs.
Inside spread: 18-1/2"
Outside spread: 19-1/2"

Dragged that beast 500 yards. I thought I might stroke out. :lol:

Biggest buck of my life.

Well now you have venison for the winter. I would say you came out a head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I don't know how much I'll get yet, but the (fairly accurate chart) says up to 110 lbs. of meat. This deer is all steaks, chops and ground burger/chili meat.

Funny thing is, I still have 3 tags left. If I do get another one, I'll have it made into meat sticks, jerky and sausage.