Overheating or easy fix? 05 Impreza WRX Wagon

J3DI

So I'm thinking this is a possible thermostat issue but would like some opinions .

Car has recently had a big service, replaced radiator and hoses (overheating issues at the time) , and the standard stuff.

Noticed the temperature was high when I got home and there's a bit of brown sludge under the radiator cap.

Took it for a test drive once when the weather got a bit cooler and the temp rises are intermittent, fluctuates a lot.

What are your thoughts before I have to send her back to the shop? Cheers.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Idk what to say about the brown sludge, never ran into that issue, but besides that I would say either the thermostat is faulty or there are air pockets in the system.

The sludge worries me because it makes me consider a potential blockage in the water passages somewhere in the engine or maybe even the heater core. I'd probably change the thermostat and carefully refill the system. If a shop does this for you, see if they can do a pressurized flush of the coolant system. While you're in there, inspect the water pump for wear/play.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Brown sludge, oil? Head gasket ?

J3DI

Thanks guys, just air pockets at this stage. It's fine now but keeping a close eye for sure.

TK-421

First whenever you notice a problem with a vehicle that has been to a shop. Take it back right away. That is what is called a "comeback" and comebacks do NOT look good at all for a shops reputation. So in order to counter act the comeback most good shops will do whatever they can to rectify the issues for you at little to no cost.

Second of all.

Explain sludge, was it a thick viscosity of fluid? Or did it just have the color appearance of sludge, like brown rusty water?

If the car is overheating due to air pockets it needs to be pressure tested. The cooling system is a self bleeding system, if there are air pockets that means more than likely there is a open leak in your cooling system somewhere, whether it be a disconnected hose, or cracked flange. A pressure test will help determine if that is true.

Second, if the coolant is of a thick consistency, then [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] could most certainly be correct, your headgaskets could be shot and could be mixing coolant and oil together in the water jackets. This is part of the reason why subaru calls for a cooling system conditioner to be added to the system during a flush or major service of the cooling system to help reduce the possibility of this happening.

J3DI

Thanks [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION]

I'll be giving the shop a call on Monday for a few things.

The sludge was a brown paste type under the radiator cap. Someone said that can happen due to something they use when doing a new radiator but I called bullshit.

I'll let you know, thanks.

TK-421

Yes who ever told you that this so called "paste" was something they use is full of horseshit. Yes keep this thread updated and I'll do my best to analyze this for you by your descriptions. Been doing this for almost 16 years now, never once have I heard of someone using "paste" on a rad cap, you can tell that guy your talking about cars not arts and crafts here.

J3DI

Not paste put on the cap sorry, they were talking about something out in the engine that can cause a paste like substance. But still bullshit.

Will definitely let them know we're not in arts and crafts.

Now let's see what the shops says, it'll be the third time in a about a month.

J3DI

I'm in South Australia. Serviced at S&J at the moment. Second time was to have my Brant alarm removed and after making sure the pin pad was to be kept the election threw it out, and I've had to chase them for the last few weeks. My dad got more info about it when he dropped his car off, I haven't even had a call....

TK-421

I have a best friend that lives in the Sydney area if your anywhere near there I can find out what shop she takes her WRX to. And since your an aussie, and you said south Australia I hope this means your not out in woop woop.

J3DI

Thanks but that would be a bit of a trip from Adelaide ;)

Not in woop woop, any more anyway. If she has any suggestions in this area I'm interested. Thinking of given Driven a chance.

TK-421

Ahhh your in church town! Not too sure if she knows anything out your way mate, but if she does she'll let me know, just sent her a text. Yeah I'd say your prob a few thousand K's from her if I recall correctly she's all the way up by Sydney International. If you were up by the Gold Coast Id say go see Al at A&M Auto

TK-421

Also not sure where they are located exactly down there, but Brett at MRT Performance does great work as well, Subaru and Evo specialty shop

J3DI

Says NSW, wrong state.

Dad's going to have a chat to them as well (customer since 99). Pissed off because last service my boyfriend dropped my car off and specifically asked for them to do a set of tests, including a TK test which they obviously haven't done...

TK-421

Says NSW, wrong state.

Dad's going to have a chat to them as well (customer since 99). Pissed off because last service my boyfriend dropped my car off and specifically asked for them to do a set of tests, including a TK test which they obviously haven't done...

Wasn't sure if they had any shops outside of NSW though. Guess they don't.

That's real tough luck to hear a shop has screwed a loyal customer like that. I mean Id expect that if you were a bunch of loud ass Bogans with some crappy ebay parts that get you a defect notice constantly.

See I know how things kinda work down there haha.

Best of luck to you though, if you need any advice, give me a shout

J3DI

We're the loud ass house on our street but that's about it.

You're pretty spot on, for just a little more North haha.

Cheers, will do.

As a SW enthusiast, I appreciate your user name.