Best option of clutch..

Valsti05

Hello guys .. I have an 05 sti .. Seems like I need to replace my stock clutch feels like slipping when hitting the gas it feels more when on high gears (4,5) ...As of now the car has an injen catted downpipe , hks catback exhaust , hks drop in air filter , Cobb accessport stage 2 map (California), so going back to my question is .. What would be a best option of cluch purchase or the pros and cons of this 2 different brands .. Clutchmasters or exxedy I'm looking to go into a stage 2 clutch

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION]

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I like Competition Clutch and SPEC, personally. I had an Excedy clutch for a while, that blew huge donkey dicks. Rough engagement, loud chatter, heavy pedal....etc. I'm sure some Excedy clutches are great, I just don't know which ones those are.

I don't know much about Clutchmasters but I know a lot of people like the Stage II from South Bend.

Btw...if you are already seeing a bit of slippage, try to baby it, keep it out of boost if possible until you decide on a new clutch or your going to be stranded. Once a clutch gets bad enough, it quickly becomes undrivable.

Are you planning a build in the future? Might the car see any track time or agressive driving?

With more power and abuse, you may quickly wear out a Stage II. If you choose wisely, you could get a Stage III or IV that would be comfortable to drive and also support more power in the future without having to buy yet another clutch.

In the meantime, check out the member journals on the forum and see what clutch people are running with what mods/power levels.

Last edited:

Valsti05

[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] ... Thank u for the info ... Track time I really doubt my car will get... Just not the time for track .. Also this car is kind of a "daily driver" adding more power yes .. That's the plan .. But not fully built...

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Hello guys .. I have an 05 sti .. Seems like I need to replace my stock clutch feels like slipping when hitting the gas it feels more when on high gears (4,5) ...As of now the car has an injen catted downpipe , hks catback exhaust , hks drop in air filter , Cobb accessport stage 2 map (California), so going back to my question is .. What would be a best option of cluch purchase or the pros and cons of this 2 different brands .. Clutchmasters or exxedy I'm looking to go into a stage 2 clutch

Base your clutch on your power output in torque. You make 300 ft lbs at the crank, get a clutch that handles that.
Don't think more is better so don't over do it by getting some obscenely high rated clutch. Get what you need but try to not go overboard.
As far as the two you mentioned, pros and cons of both everywhere. I've only driven on the stock and ACT clutches for Subaru. ACT felt unnecessarily heavy and grabby for a low rated stage 1.
Another point is that "stages" in clutches vary greatly between brands, meaning a stage 1 Exxedy may only hold 350 lbs ft but a stage 1 ACT might hold only 400.

Valsti05

Base your clutch on your power output in torque. You make 300 ft lbs at the crank, get a clutch that handles that.
Don't think more is better so don't over do it by getting some obscenely high rated clutch. Get what you need but try to not go overboard.
As far as the two you mentioned, pros and cons of both everywhere. I've only driven on the stock and ACT clutches for Subaru. ACT felt unnecessarily heavy and grabby for a low rated stage 1.
Another point is that "stages" in clutches vary greatly between brands, meaning a stage 1 Exxedy may only hold 350 lbs ft but a stage 1 ACT might hold only 400.

ok .. Thank u .. To be honest as of now I'm kind of in the air w this because I don't know exactly how much torque I'm pushing.. I will try to find out asap and go from there to make a decision on buying a clutch ..

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
ok .. Thank u .. To be honest as of now I'm kind of in the air w this because I don't know exactly how much torque I'm pushing.. I will try to find out asap and go from there to make a decision on buying a clutch ..

Looks like your pretty basic stage 2 with OTS map so I'd figure 340-380 lbs ft at the crank.

Valsti05

Looks like your pretty basic stage 2 with OTS map so I'd figure 340-380 lbs ft at the crank.
yes .. Basic stuff .. Accessport stage 2 map .. But will do an tune , of course after the clutch situation .. One thing at the time..��

I personally had a stage 2 clutchmasters on my old 3rd gen eclipse, about 230hp\tq. Great clutch imo. I really miss it too, stock clutch on my new STi is killing me xP

Also had the clutchmasters flywheel, but STi's don't need that.

I like what Competition Clutch offers for the money. The only thing I suggest is to overshoot your ratings if picking a Competition Clutch. I think Competition may possibly be a little more generous with their torque ratings for their clutch kits. I'm more than happy to give you a member discount.

Valsti05

I personally had a stage 2 clutchmasters on my old 3rd gen eclipse, about 230hp\tq. Great clutch imo. I really miss it too, stock clutch on my new STi is killing me xP

Also had the clutchmasters flywheel, but STi's don't need that.
thanks ...I was looking into clutchmaster .. But getting the whole clutch kit including flywheel .. Just because I have heard of fitment issues .. Don't know if it's true.. To b a little more clear I heard the stock flywheel won't be compatible with an aftermarket clutch

That's a pretty good thing to know if that's the case. I had no idea it wouldn't fit correctly.

Do you have to replace the fly wheel when the clutch gets changed? I am looking to change my clutch and Cobb said it was a must with Subarus.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Do you have to replace the fly wheel when the clutch gets changed? I am looking to change my clutch and Cobb said it was a must with Subarus.

You can have the flywheel resurfaced but I've heard if hotspots developing because of the loss of material when resurfacing. Also stress cracks can develop that resurfacing might not take out.
So the short answer is yes, replace. The long answer is no but problems could occur.
I'd replace rather than resurface on newer cars.