New Subaru owner!

Bellzy

Hey guys, just bought my first subaru. Just looking to meet some people and learn everything I can about taking care of the beast.

It?s a 2013 wrx Sti. 100,000 km on it. 1 owner, no accidents. All service records.

Bellzy

b359f8e05d09293370928c4980b5c3ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!

What other cars have you had in the past? What made you decide to get an STi? How does it compare to your previous cars? Is there anything you don't like about it? What do you love about it?

Bellzy

Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!

What other cars have you had in the past? What made you decide to get an STi? How does it compare to your previous cars? Is there anything you don't like about it? What do you love about it?

Well my first manual car was a 2004 Nissan Sentra. Learned on that junker. My previous car was a 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer, manual as well. I had posters of STI?s in my room when I was 12 and always wanted one. I couldn?t pass up the shape of the car and the price so I went for it.

As soon as I took it for a test drive and turned it on I fell in love. That Subaru rumble, you just can?t beat it. I was like a kid in a toy store, finally sitting behind the wheel of my dream car. It blows all my other cars away, literally. So far there?s nothing I dislike about it, it?s all stock which is great, think it?s got a cat-back exhaust and that?s it.

There isn?t much not to love about it. Getting those waves from fellow subie drivers, that rumble of the engine, the spooling of the turbo, the reliability. I enjoy being meticulous about what oil I put in it and when to do it so that?s not a bother. The gas is a little expensive. I can?t wait to see where else this journey takes me.

Cheers

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Is this your first turbocharged vehicle?

There are some things you need to know and keep in mind if you want your car to last. I had a 2002 WRX with 278k miles, so the cars will last (as will majority of other brands and models as well) as long as you maintain AND drive it properly!

I'm happy to share my knowledge (and I'm certain other members are as well) with you because I want you to have a great (not good) experience during your ownership! :tup:

First, tell us your experience with cars in regards to working on them and also driving them. Since you've had manual vehicles previously, you should be adept with driving and shifting a manual transmission.

Bellzy

Is this your first turbocharged vehicle?

There are some things you need to know and keep in mind if you want your car to last. I had a 2002 WRX with 278k miles, so the cars will last (as will majority of other brands and models as well) as long as you maintain AND drive it properly!

I'm happy to share my knowledge (and I'm certain other members are as well) with you because I want you to have a great (not good) experience during your ownership! :tup:

First, tell us your experience with cars in regards to working on them and also driving them. Since you've had manual vehicles previously, you should be adept with driving and shifting a manual transmission.

I?m fairly competent in basic maintenance. Changed my breaks on my lancer several times and my oil as well. I installed a short ram intake on my lancer and that?s about it. As far as driving them, I like to make them go, but I?d never abuse them. I don?t race to red lights, do donuts or launch.

What?s the preferred oil to use. I was planning on stocking up on OEM Subaru oil filters as well.

Let me know. Thanks.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Oil has become a taboo subject for me because it's a topic that everyone has a different opinion on. All I will say, is that any oil that you decide to go with will be adequate for street use. The OEM oil filter is great and does its job. People have different opinions on oil change intervals as well. I have experimented with different intervals, but it ultimately comes down to YOUR preference and peace of mind. Some people don't mind changing every 7,500 miles. I am the type of person who changes oil every 3,000 in their STi. I personally use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It is extremely cheap and is perfectly adequate for street use. I have done UOA's (used oil analyses) in the past on my cars and my engine has reported back extremely well. I actually use Rotella T6 in all of my vehicles now, gasoline and diesel.

The main concern is allowing the oil inside of the engine to reach operating temperature before you start driving hard. Many people neglect this facet, especially during the winter season! A good rule of thumb is that it takes oil twice as long as coolant to warm up. I go out of my way to drive a bit around until my engine warms up before I get on the highway, for example. Do note that I am more anal when it comes to cars, maintenance, and upkeep than majority of people.

I strongly urge to avoid doing donuts and launching from a stop altogether. I'd say don't even attempt it for the experience because there is absolutely no benefit. You should read this thread and the links inside of it:

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-s-Please-Read-This-Before-You-Harm-Your-Car!

Bellzy

Perfect. Great info. Thank you. I?ve heard great things about rotella. I work at Costco and I know a few guys in the tire centre who are good. They use Castrol edge there so I was going to get it done there every 5000 KM. I?ll read that link

Bellzy

Oil has become a taboo subject for me because it's a topic that everyone has a different opinion on. All I will say, is that any oil that you decide to go with will be adequate for street use. The OEM oil filter is great and does its job. People have different opinions on oil change intervals as well. I have experimented with different intervals, but it ultimately comes down to YOUR preference and peace of mind. Some people don't mind changing every 7,500 miles. I am the type of person who changes oil every 3,000 in their STi. I personally use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It is extremely cheap and is perfectly adequate for street use. I have done UOA's (used oil analyses) in the past on my cars and my engine has reported back extremely well. I actually use Rotella T6 in all of my vehicles now, gasoline and diesel.

The main concern is allowing the oil inside of the engine to reach operating temperature before you start driving hard. Many people neglect this facet, especially during the winter season! A good rule of thumb is that it takes oil twice as long as coolant to warm up. I go out of my way to drive a bit around until my engine warms up before I get on the highway, for example. Do note that I am more anal when it comes to cars, maintenance, and upkeep than majority of people.

I strongly urge to avoid doing donuts and launching from a stop altogether. I'd say don't even attempt it for the experience because there is absolutely no benefit. You should read this thread and the links inside of it:

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-s-Please-Read-This-Before-You-Harm-Your-Car!

Fuel recommendation? 93 is standard I?m assuming. Is it ok to get 94? Do I need a tune for that? Benefits?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Fuel recommendation? 93 is standard I?m assuming. Is it ok to get 94? Do I need a tune for that? Benefits?

You need to fill up your car with premium octane. 93 octane is the standard for (almost all) turbocharged vehicles in order to avoid knock. (The exception are the states in the USA where 91 octane is the highest, but vehicles sold in those states come with a different tune to compensate for the lower octane.) The factory tune is dialed in for 93 octane. You can fill up with 94 octane or higher, however, there would be no benefit in doing so because the ECU is not tuned to compensate for higher octane. While the possibility exists that 94 may have less knock than 93 in the grand scheme of things, I don't have much knowledge on the matter. What I can say, is that you should never fuel up your car with anything less than 93 octane.

Here is my advice, but it's up to you whether you decide to take it: leave the car stock and learn how it behaves as it is right now. Focus on getting seat time behind the wheel, taking care of it, and keeping it in tip top shape. Tires should be the only aspect you should change depending on climate. (Summer tires in the spring/summer/fall and winter tires in the fall/winter seasons.) Tires are the only thing keeping the car mated to the road.

What most people do, is they fall into the pit of modifying their car, and since majority have little knowledge with this platform, they end up causing issues that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Your best interest is to learn as much as you can (for free). The most priceless information is by learning through other people's mistakes. I'll be coming up on my 10th year anniversary since I've gotten my STi. If I were to embark on this journey again from scratch, the knowledge I've gained over the years is of utmost importance and extremely crucial. I've made a lot of stupid beginner mistakes as well and it has taught me that seeking out and learning from others' mistakes is the best thing you can do. (This counts to almost every other aspect of life as well, not just cars.)

Bellzy

You need to fill up your car with premium octane. 93 octane is the standard for (almost all) turbocharged vehicles in order to avoid knock. (The exception are the states in the USA where 91 octane is the highest, but vehicles sold in those states come with a different tune to compensate for the lower octane.) The factory tune is dialed in for 93 octane. You can fill up with 94 octane or higher, however, there would be no benefit in doing so because the ECU is not tuned to compensate for higher octane. While the possibility exists that 94 may have less knock than 93 in the grand scheme of things, I don't have much knowledge on the matter. What I can say, is that you should never fuel up your car with anything less than 93 octane.

Here is my advice, but it's up to you whether you decide to take it: leave the car stock and learn how it behaves as it is right now. Focus on getting seat time behind the wheel, taking care of it, and keeping it in tip top shape. Tires should be the only aspect you should change depending on climate. (Summer tires in the spring/summer/fall and winter tires in the fall/winter seasons.) Tires are the only thing keeping the car mated to the road.

What most people do, is they fall into the pit of modifying their car, and since majority have little knowledge with this platform, they end up causing issues that shouldn't have existed in the first place. Your best interest is to learn as much as you can (for free). The most priceless information is by learning through other people's mistakes. I'll be coming up on my 10th year anniversary since I've gotten my STi. If I were to embark on this journey again from scratch, the knowledge I've gained over the years is of utmost importance and extremely crucial. I've made a lot of stupid beginner mistakes as well and it has taught me that seeking out and learning from others' mistakes is the best thing you can do. (This counts to almost every other aspect of life as well, not just cars.)

Thank you man. This is great stuff and I?ll take it to heart. I?ll leave it stock for now, it?s great stock anyway. I?m excited to embark on my journey and avoid stupid mistakes haha.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome!

You asked a ton of great questions and already got some good answers.

I second the recommendation of keeping it stock for a while. And while I know you said you don't launch, etc.... I HIGHLY recommend signing up for an autocross in the spring (autocross school even better!) and learning the limits of your car in a safe/fun/cheap manner. Seriously. Do it.

There are some non-performance mods you can look into if you've got the itch..and kinda go along with what Alin said about oil temp.

1) Gauges. Depending on your "style" you may want tons, very visible. Or you may want discreet. Or none at all!
But there are lots of useful mods that can help you learn about the car's operation and monitor its health. 1) Oil Temp/Pressure (another debate can be had there!) 2) AFR 3) EGT 4) Boost You can also get an AccessPort that can monitor some of those nearly as well.

2) Air-oil-separator or catch-cans. These cars tend to have a little oil end up in the intake tract through normal use. In normal operation, its not really a bad thing, but certainly not good. But you may want to take the step of putting on of the AOS/CC in the system to help eliminate that issue all together.

3) Oil pickup. The factory pickup is kinda junk. I mean it works, and in 99% of the cars it doesn't end up being an issue (and probably saved them $5/car :roll:). But IF the pickup fails it'll kill the engine, and its definitely happened in the past to those unlucky 1% (ok i made up the numbers, but the point is: it's happened).

Bellzy

Welcome!

You asked a ton of great questions and already got some good answers.

I second the recommendation of keeping it stock for a while. And while I know you said you don't launch, etc.... I HIGHLY recommend signing up for an autocross in the spring (autocross school even better!) and learning the limits of your car in a safe/fun/cheap manner. Seriously. Do it.

There are some non-performance mods you can look into if you've got the itch..and kinda go along with what Alin said about oil temp.

1) Gauges. Depending on your "style" you may want tons, very visible. Or you may want discreet. Or none at all!
But there are lots of useful mods that can help you learn about the car's operation and monitor its health. 1) Oil Temp/Pressure (another debate can be had there!) 2) AFR 3) EGT 4) Boost You can also get an AccessPort that can monitor some of those nearly as well.

2) Air-oil-separator or catch-cans. These cars tend to have a little oil end up in the intake tract through normal use. In normal operation, its not really a bad thing, but certainly not good. But you may want to take the step of putting on of the AOS/CC in the system to help eliminate that issue all together.

3) Oil pickup. The factory pickup is kinda junk. I mean it works, and in 99% of the cars it doesn't end up being an issue (and probably saved them $5/car :roll:). But IF the pickup fails it'll kill the engine, and its definitely happened in the past to those unlucky 1% (ok i made up the numbers, but the point is: it's happened).

Where can I find this Oil pickup. And the air-oil-separator? Thanks

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Where can I find this Oil pickup. And the air-oil-separator? Thanks

Oil pickup install:
https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/4274-Easy-Oil-Pickup-Install

As for where to get it: One of our forum sponsors Jordan [MENTION=2334]Defined Performance[/MENTION] gets a lot of love from this board. Otherwise, lots of manufacturers/vendors--they should all be a ton better than the stock one.

AOS:
I dont think we have a how-to on here, but again talk to Jordan. Many types out there with their own pros / cons.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] , wasn't the oil pickup tube an issue only on the GD chassis? I recall that GR was alleviated, but I may have read wrong.

Also, while I know this is more theoretic than not, I feel like the issues with oil pickup tubes breaking were caused by driver error. There are very few people who warm up their cars before accelerating hard... I see it on a daily basis, in every type of car, here in Ohio. It kills me inside, especially during the winter season when it's 40 degrees F or less... Literally, people turn their cars on and TWO SECONDS LATER, they shift into gear and accelerate extremely hard! :banghead:

Bellzy

[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] , wasn't the oil pickup tube an issue only on the GD chassis? I recall that GR was alleviated, but I may have read wrong.

Also, while I know this is more theoretic than not, I feel like the issues with oil pickup tubes breaking were caused by driver error. There are very few people who warm up their cars before accelerating hard... I see it on a daily basis, in every type of car, here in Ohio. It kills me inside, especially during the winter season when it's 40 degrees F or less... Literally, people turn their cars on and TWO SECONDS LATER, they shift into gear and accelerate extremely hard! :banghead:

Ya I let it warm up for 10 minutes in the winter. And don?t drive it hard until it?s at optimal temperature. So I guess I?m safe? Haha