Looking for a reputable tuner

Boosted16

Hey everyone I just bought my 16 Sti and already has intake/exhaust work done on it, and I am trying to find a reputable pro tuner in the arkansas/texas/oklahoma area If anyone knows some, just worry of the horror stories of poor tune and grenaded motor.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
To clarify things, your car is currently modified with an intake and exhaust (is that catback or turboback) and on the stock/factory tune? If yes, this is bad as you risk damaging your vehicle! If no, then give us more information.

Texas should always be Cobb since they're in Plano, TX. (Unless they closed that location down. Not sure as I don't keep up with that information.)

Hey everyone I just bought my 16 Sti and already has intake/exhaust work done on it, and I am trying to find a reputable pro tuner in the arkansas/texas/oklahoma area If anyone knows some, just worry of the horror stories of poor tune and grenaded motor.

BenWest in OKC.

https://www.bwtuning.com

I am currently going through an E-tune with Clark Turner (CTT) http://www.clarkturnertuning.com

Phatboti tuning is currently not accepting new etune clients. https://phatbottituning.com

Look for a gold certified tuner.

I?ve heard good things about brentuning https://brentuning.com/product/brentuning-subaru-e-tuning/

If you go etune protune, make sure your done with your mods, cause you will have to pay for a ?touch up tune? if you make changes.

MAPerformance is good, don't do TGV deletes cause none of their OTS maps support TGV deletes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosted16

Turbo back exhaust, and ets cold air intake, as far as tune I cant be sure, and that's what worries me waiting for accessport in mail.

Boosted16

To clarify things, your car is currently modified with an intake and exhaust (is that catback or turboback) and on the stock/factory tune? If yes, this is bad as you risk damaging your vehicle! If no, then give us more information.

Texas should always be Cobb since they're in Plano, TX. (Unless they closed that location down. Not sure as I don't keep up with that information.)

Turbo back exhaust, and ets cold air intake, as far as tune I cant be sure, and that's what worries me waiting for accessport in mail.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=7344]Boosted16[/MENTION]

Did you buy the car new and modify it yourself or did you buy it used and it already had the modifications done? An aftermarket intake and turboback exhaust on the stock tune is the biggest recipe for disaster. This is not something to take lightly and you can cause severe damage/destruction to the engine. I really hope you haven't driven the car hard or have gone WOT. If you must drive the car and don't have another, you need to drive the car like a grandma until you sort your situation out.

If you have the stock intake and the stock turboback exhaust, I highly recommend you put them back on the car and reset the ECU so it can relearn the parameters with the correct corresponding parts that were meant for it.

Boosted16

[MENTION=7344]Boosted16[/MENTION]

Did you buy the car new and modify it yourself or did you buy it used and it already had the modifications done? An aftermarket intake and turboback exhaust on the stock tune is the biggest recipe for disaster. This is not something to take lightly and you can cause severe damage/destruction to the engine. I really hope you haven't driven the car hard or have gone WOT. If you must drive the car and don't have another, you need to drive the car like a grandma until you sort your situation out.

If you have the stock intake and the stock turboback exhaust, I highly recommend you put them back on the car and reset the ECU so it can relearn the parameters with the correct corresponding parts that were meant for it.
Bought it used and it was already modified, and I have been babying it no wot or hard boost situations, I am planning to get the cobb e85 injector kit and get it tuned before I run it hard

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I imagine you bought the car from a dealership, otherwise a private seller would've had a Cobb AP with it (and not just modified the car without a tune as that's reckless)... Is there any way for you to get in contact with the previous owner and find out if the car is indeed tuned? (If it is, then this further complicates your situation since the ECU would be married to a Cobb AP out there in the wild.) If it isn't, then the previous owner was completely oblivious to the Subaru platform (and could've potentially harmed the car).

Did you have a compression and leak down test performed before buying the car?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Bought it used and it was already modified, and I have been babying it no wot or hard boost situations, I am planning to get the cobb e85 injector kit and get it tuned before I run it hard

There won't be an OTS map for your current mods. They don't make any because it is not advised to do a turboback and intake on the stock fueling. Not sure which Cobb kit you are looking at but unless you are swapping for a Cobb intake you still will need a custom tune. If you are going custom tune anyway I would advise giving some other brands a look for the e85 kit, you can save some bucks to put toward the tune. Be sure you are getting everything you need including a higher flow pump (not just injectors).

There won't be an OTS map for your current mods. They don't make any because it is not advised to do a turboback and intake on the stock fueling. Not sure which Cobb kit you are looking at but unless you are swapping for a Cobb intake you still will need a custom tune. If you are going custom tune anyway I would advise giving some other brands a look for the e85 kit, you can save some bucks to put toward the tune. Be sure you are getting everything you need including a higher flow pump (not just injectors).

31272494a15b8e65fa2ba1918004d2eb.jpg
don?t use ClarkTurner....

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191209/31272494a15b8e65fa2ba1918004d2eb.jpg don?t use ClarkTurner....

It's lovely to see that Clark Turner is still a piece of shit after all of these years. I made all of the stupid mistakes since I got my car at 18. (This is summarizing it very short.) First, I bought my car with a stock tune with an AEM SRI and a TurboXS BOV (zero knowledge). Then, it was a Cobb Stage 2 OTS with the same incorrect modifications. Then, it was an etune with Clark Turner. Those were the worst months of my STi career. I used to WOT with fuel cuts... Clark told me to keep doing it as it might go away. It still baffles me how my car didn't blow up (Blackstone Labs UOA reported perfect motor). Thankfully, one thing led to another and I joined IGOTASTI in 2012 and (although it took longer than expected, mainly because I was the hindrance) signed up for Platinum to get the etune that we offer. [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] is a genius and a genuine person, which is hard to come by these days, but he set me straight (alongside many other members) and I've been thankful ever since (not to mention the priceless and wealth of information I've acquired over the years). It's one of the reasons why I'm only on this forum and I strive to help out anyone seeking help. We also wouldn't be here if it wasn't for [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] , so I'm eternally grateful to these two gentlemen. :ty: :ty: :ty: :bow: :bow: :bow:

It saddens me to heard about your negative experience, [MENTION=7321]OYAXO[/MENTION] . I hope no harm has come to your car and you can resolve whatever issues you may still have. You should either start a member's journal or another thread indicating what has transpired.

It's lovely to see that Clark Turner is still a piece of shit after all of these years. I made all of the stupid mistakes since I got my car at 18. (This is summarizing it very short.) First, I bought my car with a stock tune with an AEM SRI and a TurboXS BOV (zero knowledge). Then, it was a Cobb Stage 2 OTS with the same incorrect modifications. Then, it was an etune with Clark Turner. Those were the worst months of my STi career. I used to WOT with fuel cuts... Clark told me to keep doing it as it might go away. It still baffles me how my car didn't blow up (Blackstone Labs UOA reported perfect motor). Thankfully, one thing led to another and I joined IGOTASTI in 2012 and (although it took longer than expected, mainly because I was the hindrance) signed up for Platinum to get the etune that we offer. [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] is a genius and a genuine person, which is hard to come by these days, but he set me straight (alongside many other members) and I've been thankful ever since (not to mention the priceless and wealth of information I've acquired over the years). It's one of the reasons why I'm only on this forum and I strive to help out anyone seeking help. We also wouldn't be here if it wasn't for [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi[/MENTION] , so I'm eternally grateful to these two gentlemen. :ty: :ty: :ty: :bow: :bow: :bow:

It saddens me to heard about your negative experience, [MENTION=7321]OYAXO[/MENTION] . I hope no harm has come to your car and you can resolve whatever issues you may still have. You should either start a member's journal or another thread indicating what has transpired.

Sold it... gonzo.... didn?t even look back at getting more stars....