A/C not working.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I don't understand what you are asking. Air flow is just fine, it just doesn't get cold or remove the humidity.

Hey, you know you have a certified mechanic local to you right? Lol. That would be me. I have access to an A/C machine to use free of charge. You only have to pay for the freon since my friend buys it for his shop. I also have access to his shop as well with a hoist.

The pressure in the system will depend on ambient temperature. You can buy one of those cheap kits from autozone and connect it. It will show you the pressure and the gauge will have an adjustment to line up the pressure with the outside temperature. Follow the instructions from there.

If you want to go to by buddys shop this weekend let me know. I have to charge the A/C in my STi as well since it was never recharged after it was put back together.

For some reason I missed the 4th page. We need to hook up the machine and monitor the high a low pressure side when the system is running. This will explain whats going on. You may have a restriction or something going on with the evaporator core.

Alter3go

I suck at explaining things. when u switch to different modes such as defrost, vent to face or face and legs does it all do the same things also you know the lil wheel on the vent to block them from flowing air...when you block them all individually or all at once does it work better or worse or not at all? The more concentration of air it and how it works under those conditions it should be easier how far away from the cabin the problem is in my experience.

Anyhoo it can be multiple problems but I'd check evap core which can over time freeze it self over just like any thing that's chilled also given the age of your vehicular and since your car naturally loses an ounce or two every year due to evaporation which then creates air pockets in your system adding to the unwanted moisture in your system sir

So you may need to hook a vacuum pump to rid of the air and properly refill the system just saying son!!

Alter3go

Also check for deterioration of piping in your system once u top it off put your hand around the pipes and feel for anything seeping or bubbling you will be able to see that visually. Not common but it happens

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
All the controls work as they should. I'll get back to you on this tomorrow, I have to get up extra early.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Maybe this should have been obvious, though it's not written ANYWHERE I've looked so far... Should I have taken the pressure
reading from the low side with the engine running and the A/C turned on? I don't think so, but I can't come up with any reason
that the pressure was so high besides maybe: the system has to be on to open a valve somewhere and give me a correct reading,
or the gauge on that recharge bottle is f-ed. I'm assuming the gauge is reading correctly, because I very briefly squeezed the trigger
to pump in some refrigerant and it didn't seem that the system took any.

Did you check your cabin air filter? If it is clogged, this could cause a lack of airflow to the evaporator to cool down the air?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Did you check your cabin air filter? If it is clogged, this could cause a lack of airflow to the evaporator to cool down the air?

I haven't. Though idk what effect if any, that it would have on this, I should still replace it soon anyway.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Takes 5 min anyways. Might as well. I change mine once a year

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Anyone know whether I should have the engine running and A/C turned on when I check the pressure/add refrigerant?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
As of this past year! I did first 3 years!!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Anyone know whether I should have the engine running and A/C turned on when I check the pressure/add refrigerant?

Yes [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Idk why, but it seemed to me that I should not do that, so I'm glad you told me to do it with the engine and A/C running. I just got back in the house. The system took quite a bit of refrigerant and the pressure makes more sense now. It seems like it's blowing much colder air again, but my commute tomorrow will be the real op-test.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good deal. Been trying to follow along. You have to charge the air with it on high and full fan blowing. It pulls it through the system.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
That makes sense as to why the needle was moving back and forth when the system was cycling. I will recheck it again tomorrow and add more if necessary.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Good deal. Will try to follow.