GD Funk32's 04 STi race car Build V-Mount,TS EFR7163

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Damn you can tell that thing means business.

What were your specs?

funk32

Thanks, specs for the alignment are -2.9 front and -2.4 rear 0 toe for now.

Wing is now waiting for me, just need the uprights built then she will be going on.

funk32

Well I have been given the Green light to post pictures and talk about the new MSI part that will be coming out in the next couple of months. I am currently the only person to have this mounted other then MSI's personal car they are building. The new front frame from MSI is a lot stronger then the OEM one and a bit beefier then the TSSFAB version. It is actually so strong that when unbolting the transmission x-member the engine/transmission do not even move a mm, where as the OEM one would allow the engine mount area to flex a considerable amount. The MSI frame also comes with a billet jack plate and integrated nascar type sway bars.

Here is the original frame used for display at PRI
MSI front fame by David, on Flickr

Frame before install
received_bWVzc2FnZV9ibG9iX2F0dGFjaG1lbnQ6MTAxNTU0OTkxMTkzMjUxOTg by David, on Flickr
received_bWVzc2FnZV9ibG9iX2F0dGFjaG1lbnQ6MTAxNTU0OTkxMTkxMTUxOTg by David, on Flickr

installed
received_bWVzc2FnZV9ibG9iX2F0dGFjaG1lbnQ6MTAxNTU1NzMwOTY0MzUxOTg by David, on Flickr
received_bWVzc2FnZV9ibG9iX2F0dGFjaG1lbnQ6MTAxNTU1NzMwOTY0NzUxOTg by David, on Flickr
received_bWVzc2FnZV9ibG9iX2F0dGFjaG1lbnQ6MTAxNTU3NTA5NzMxMjAxOTg by David, on Flickr

Blades to connect sway bar to endlinks
IMG_20150822_145036 by David, on Flickr
20150822_165717 by David, on Flickr

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very interesting.....

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
[MENTION=911]funk32[/MENTION], i just re-skimmed the whole journal, and a few questions.

1) Do you not have an oil cooler? I can't tell if that's integrated into the dry-sump system.

2) You appear to have the Quantum backing plates on your rotors, but do you have ducts? Or are those from the fog lights? If so, how does that interact with the PS cooler on the passenger's side.

3) It looks like you already had an aftermarket front subframe...why the new one? Did you notice a problem with the red one, or what was the incentive.
3.1) What are you going to do with the old one? If it needs a new home, I'm always welcoming of stray parts! ;)

4) Can you take some pics of how the rear diff cooler works with a bumper installed?

5) You mentioned a trans cooler (same post as the rear diff cooler) but I don't think I saw one...unless you're cooling them in the same place. Any more details?

I could also be interested in the old TSS subframe; getting tired of waiting for William to get his shop done with upgrading and nobody else makes affordable pieces.

funk32

@funk32, i just re-skimmed the whole journal, and a few questions.

1) Do you not have an oil cooler? I can't tell if that's integrated into the dry-sump system.

2) You appear to have the Quantum backing plates on your rotors, but do you have ducts? Or are those from the fog lights? If so, how does that interact with the PS cooler on the passenger's side.

3) It looks like you already had an aftermarket front subframe...why the new one? Did you notice a problem with the red one, or what was the incentive.
3.1) What are you going to do with the old one? If it needs a new home, I'm always welcoming of stray parts! ;)

4) Can you take some pics of how the rear diff cooler works with a bumper installed?

5) You mentioned a trans cooler (same post as the rear diff cooler) but I don't think I saw one...unless you're cooling them in the same place. Any more details?

[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

1) no not yet as Phil from element tuning has stated he does not use one on his Global time attack STi with this system. I will try without and see what the temps get too, if needed its not a big deal.

2)Yes I have the backing plates installed and I HAD rooducts installed but due to the Sway bar blades I can no longer run them. I will be in contact with rooducts to see if we can figure out something to work around this. Yes the PS cooler is kinda in the way and could potentially be relocated.

3) I did have a TSSFAB front frame, there were fitment issues with the dry sump pan and something else was a little off but I couldn't pin point it as the engine needed to be pulled down by the driver side engine mount to sit flush. I know He had made other ones with different designs so I can not comment on whether that was corrected with my feed back. I do get extremely good support from Mark @MSI and Chris @touge tuning based on MSI parts.

3.1) The Frame was sold off

4/5) The cooler setups have yet to be completed as I had to move to the other side of the country and ran out of time to sort it out. Also having a hard time trying to figure where to enter the transmission with fluid. The cooler that I have is a dual cooler pack, so it is actually 2 coolers mounted together with the fans attached. http://www.setrabusa.com/products/fanpacks/fp920/index.html

Thanks for asking questions I enjoy chatting

funk32

I could also be interested in the old TSS subframe; getting tired of waiting for William to get his shop done with upgrading and nobody else makes affordable pieces.

I have lost a bit of faith in Will, he owes me a frame due to failure and he has yet to produce. going on a few months.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We love following your build.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
@Grinder34

1) no not yet as Phil from element tuning has stated he does not use one on his Global time attack STi with this system. I will try without and see what the temps get too, if needed its not a big deal.

2)Yes I have the backing plates installed and I HAD rooducts installed but due to the Sway bar blades I can no longer run them. I will be in contact with rooducts to see if we can figure out something to work around this. Yes the PS cooler is kinda in the way and could potentially be relocated.

3) I did have a TSSFAB front frame, there were fitment issues with the dry sump pan and something else was a little off but I couldn't pin point it as the engine needed to be pulled down by the driver side engine mount to sit flush. I know He had made other ones with different designs so I can not comment on whether that was corrected with my feed back. I do get extremely good support from Mark @MSI and Chris @touge tuning based on MSI parts.

3.1) The Frame was sold off

4/5) The cooler setups have yet to be completed as I had to move to the other side of the country and ran out of time to sort it out. Also having a hard time trying to figure where to enter the transmission with fluid. The cooler that I have is a dual cooler pack, so it is actually 2 coolers mounted together with the fans attached. http://www.setrabusa.com/products/fanpacks/fp920/index.html

Thanks for asking questions I enjoy chatting

1) good for him. My mostly stock one definitely needs it on track.

2) Do you have the stock u-brace? If not, it can be SUPER easy to mount brake ducts. I posted about it in my journal (minus some pics i think). Here's the driver's side:

On the right is the front of the car. jeez that pic is all messed up. I need to get under the car to take some more pics, but with the subframe out the driver's side is the easiest. The passenger's side is a little more complicated and required the roo duct. If you need an extra driver's side roo duct, lemme know and I can send you one.

4/5) Will be interested to see what you come up with

funk32

[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION]

The rooducts will not fit at all right now. I will try to work with Randal (rooduct) to try and sort it out. If need be I will do like you have in that pic.

I have lost a bit of faith in Will, he owes me a frame due to failure and he has yet to produce. going on a few months.

Yeah, I'm getting irritated at him too, mainly because he never replies. Looks like his shop is in storage still though, based off the TSS bookyface page. Slowly getting the shop rebuild done, really sloooooowwwllllllly. Think I saw something about a bad cement poor a month or two ago. The picture I attached is the latest of the FB page. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440478883.514328.jpg

Not surprised you already sold the crossmember, never see anything like that on the market too long. Wonder how much that MSI one would hurt....

Grinder34

Track Monkey
@Grinder34

The rooducts will not fit at all right now. I will try to work with Randal (rooduct) to try and sort it out. If need be I will do like you have in that pic.

When all's said and done, if you end up with some scrap brake duct hose, any chance you could send it my way?

I threw out probably 5 feet of it after my install, but then one of the rooduct-to-backingplate pieces came off, and was badly mangled during parking (I forgot to tighten the hose clamps!!). So now I need another foot, maybe 18 inches, of hose, and the shortest I've seen for sale is 10 feet. If not, or you dont have any, no worries!

funk32

@Gregroot198521 the MSI frame will be released at $3000 as of right now, which will include the frame, swaybar with blades and endlinks.
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION], I do have extra sitting at my house in Edmonton (on the other side of the country from me at the moment) when I go home around xmas if you still need it then I can cut ya some off.

funk32

10956476_10155924035625198_5950194778952207656_n.jpg

Thanks to Turn in Concept for putting on a MSI photo competition for a discount on some MSI parts. Received the lug nuts last week. Was hard to pick a part i didn't have already haha

funk32

I am now home from my adventure in Portugal, wish I had fun stories to tell but the army has a habit of going to the crappiest places in every county lol.

I was able to grab some parts I have had on the back burner or waiting for me to actually pick up from Touge Tuning. First off is the Radium surge tank with a walbro 400lph installed and a DW200 to act as a lift pump from inside the fuel tank. This will replace my intake bosch 044 setup. I have always worried about fuel starvation at the track and it is a big problem when you are around the 1/4 or less area. I have had this issue twice and watched another STi pop a motor due to fuel starvation.
20151121_203348 by David, on Flickr

Next up is the long awaited wing that will be installed onto the car. The wing is hand made by the Simon McBeath's wing shop, they are the people responsible for the massive wing attached the infamous Gobstopper 2. It is built to meet the rules within the CSCS time attack series. The wing is 68.5" or 1740mm (the width of the car) it will be mounted to the chassis through the quarter panels.
IMG_20151122_091658 by David, on Flickr

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome home [MENTION=911]funk32[/MENTION]. ?

funk32

I figured I should update the build. I have removed the motor and have removed the heads to find the possible faults causing the 2/4 cylinders to run extremely rough/not fire. Removal of the motor went as planed, actually a lot easier than I thought it would. Once I has the intake manifold off I could see there was an issue with the intake cam/valves, the cam itself would not return to the rest position, the valves were still partially open even with now timing belt on. I tried rotating the cam with no luck by hand and I didnt feel the need to try and force it with a cam wrench. Heads cam off no issues there and then I did a quick easy test to see if the valves were bent/not seated, had the heads with the valves up added water on top of them and left it over night, sure enough 4 valves on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side were not seating properly. No marks on the valves themselves and not marks on the pistons. I now have a company 23 valve spring tool so I will be removing all the valves to check for other damage this weekend.

sorry about the quality of the pictures, I guess the lighting in the shop is not good for taking pictures.
12343197_10156205043940198_2039207688_o by David, on Flickr
20151209_213821 by David, on Flickr

here is what my dinning room looks like lol, living alone out here allows me to surround myself with car parts >:D
20151207_073904 by David, on Flickr

also was bored and took the clutch apart cause I wanted to see what it looked like.
20151206_151937 by David, on Flickr