What Phone Do You Currently Use?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
So, which phone do you guys currently have and why do you prefer it over the millions of other choices?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Galaxy Note 9 here. I like pretty much everything about it. The camera is a big deal to me and the Note line puts a really nice camera in their phones. I had a Note 5 before this and am not a loyalist with phones, it just performed the best for me when I tested all of the major options in Best Buy. Got a pretty good deal on it around Black Friday last year. That seems to be the only time they actually put good phones on sale.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm one of the few with an Essential Phone. I got it because it was basically a flagship, but only about $200 since the launch was such a flop. It replaced a 4 year old phone so it's better in every way. Not exactly cutting-edge, but I like it!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@HawkEye , how much did your phone cost you?
@Grinder34 , you have a pretty good phone for $200! Those are some nice specs for the price!

The only things I look at are the screen size, CPU, GPU, and RAM. I ended up buying a brand new Razer Gaming Phone this past October for $305 shipped. I don't play mobile games, but I bought it because it was cheap and it has pretty high end specs. I'm an iPhone guy because of the simple and clean OS, but specs bring the phones down in terms of value and perception to ME. I had an iPhone 6S prior to the Razer Phone. The Razer Phone has NOT had one hiccup yet and that is truly astounding. The main feature is the 120Hz screen refresh rate and insane quality speakers that have individual amps. It truly does change your entire experience with phones. :tup:

images

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8923&idPhone2=8710&idPhone3=9163

Here is a comparison of our 3 three phones so far. They're all really similar in terms of specs and they each have their own strengths and differences.

However, I am starting to reform back to the good old days. I purchased a Blackberry Pearl Flip 8220 (manufactured in 2008) the other day and will be reverting back. I don't like the path smartphones are going in the future and I want to limit screen time almost completely. Talk and text are the only things I need, honestly.

blackberry_pearl_flip_8220_1_.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
How they compare size-wise:
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...amsung-Galaxy-Note-9/phones/10548,10719,10857

I like smaller phones. Maybe its because I dont do all that much on my phone, but bigger != better for me! I just checked: Last full charge 18 hours ago. Screen time since then: 22 minutes.

What do you mainly use your phone for? (Don't say "talking on it." :lol: )

Dude, that's so cool! I didn't know that they had a size comparison tool!!!! Here's the Blackberry alongside them as well! :rofl:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...Pearl-Flip-8220/phones/10548,10719,10857,2891

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Honestly, i use a couple of apps. I check a few sale sites on it, maybe hit a subreddit for a minute? I really dont use it much, but when I do...i'd need a smartphone!

Other uses:
google maps
podcasts when working out
Syncing to my dashcams
Setting fantasy lineup
Roku remote when the real one stops working (alll the time)
Check weather
Uber/Lyft
ParkMobile
Pictures
Amazon
MapMyRun

But that's just about it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Honestly, i use a couple of apps. I check a few sale sites on it, maybe hit a subreddit for a minute? I really dont use it much, but when I do...i'd need a smartphone!

Other uses:
google maps
podcasts when working out
Syncing to my dashcams
Setting fantasy lineup
Roku remote when the real one stops working (alll the time)
Check weather
Uber/Lyft
ParkMobile
Pictures
Amazon
MapMyRun

But that's just about it.

-Do you have a computer (laptop/desktop), or does your phone mainly function as a computer?
-Do you really need Google Maps/Navigation/GPS? Believe it or not, I haven't used any form of Nav/GPS in years. I either memorize where I'm going or write down the last couple of turns to my destinations.
-Show us your dashcam system as it sounds interesting!
-I've never actually used Uber, Lyft, or taken a taxi in my life. How are they from a consumer experience and how often do you use them?
-Pictures I can understand.
-So, you don't text or call people?! :fuji: :lol:

I'll admit that I'm not a social person, so most of the features are useless to me. This is why I'm mainly reverting back with technology.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I don't remember how much the note 9 cost when I got it...too much I'm sure. I've also never been in a taxi, uber, Lyft. I've also never flown Haha. My wife is determined to change that, so far so good though.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
-Do you have a computer (laptop/desktop), or does your phone mainly function as a computer?
-Do you really need Google Maps/Navigation/GPS? Believe it or not, I haven't used any form of Nav/GPS in years. I either memorize where I'm going or write down the last couple of turns to my destinations.
-Show us your dashcam system as it sounds interesting!
-I've never actually used Uber, Lyft, or taken a taxi in my life. How are they from a consumer experience and how often do you use them?
-Pictures I can understand.
-So, you don't text or call people?! :fuji: :lol:

I'll admit that I'm not a social person, so most of the features are useless to me. This is why I'm mainly reverting back with technology.

I'm also not particularly social...barely talk to anyone but my wife and parents. Texting even less.

I have several computers! Just built myself a new one for xmas

I use GPS mostly for on-the-fly stuff. Checking traffic. Alternate routes due to a crash. Where's a ____ near me? Or getting between to points I dont usually travel (still in a new-ish city to me).

I got a Blackvue DR650 from Amazon Warehouse for CHEAP. It's a flagship from yester-year, but still a flagship, and has integrated GPS / front&rear / optional parking mode. Everyone should have a dashcam! Bringing it back to phones, I used to use my phone as a dashcam, but the older processor started to be unable to keep up to doing phone things (even answering a call) while recording.

Uber/lyft are great! Since I moved to Dallas (2 yrs) I've used them personally once! I've called them to take people to the airport about 10x, and my wife probably has taken 50 to get home late at night. No complaints!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I'm also not particularly social...barely talk to anyone but my wife and parents. Texting even less.

I use GPS mostly for on-the-fly stuff. Checking traffic. Alternate routes due to a crash. Where's a ____ near me? Or getting between to points I dont usually travel (still in a new-ish city to me).

I got a Blackvue DR650 from Amazon Warehouse for CHEAP. It's a flagship from yester-year, but still a flagship, and has integrated GPS / front&rear / optional parking mode. Everyone should have a dashcam! Bringing it back to phones, I used to use my phone as a dashcam, but the older processor started to be unable to keep up to doing phone things (even answering a call) while recording.

Uber/lyft are great! Since I moved to Dallas (2 yrs) I've used them personally once! I've called them to take people to the airport about 10x, and my wife probably has taken 50 to get home late at night. No complaints!

What are the specs on the new computer you built? I just built one a few months ago for editing 4k video.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

I know for certain we have a computer thread, and as [MENTION=692]HawkEye[/MENTION] inquired, I now know I'm not the only one interested! So, post your build in there!
https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/8736-Show-us-your-PC-Gaming-Rig!

When you get a chance, get a picture of the dashcam setup from inside the car!

I suppose I have to look from a different perspective to understand some things. Have you cruised on every single street of Dallas to learn the city yet?! :fuji:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i just got the Iphone XR in product red and i am loving it. coming from an Iphone 8 before hand i thought it was going to take a while to get used to not having a home button but in just 2 days i have a feel for it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
i just got the Iphone XR in product red and i am loving it. coming from an Iphone 8 before hand i thought it was going to take a while to get used to not having a home button but in just 2 days i have a feel for it.

Did you notice a considerable jump in performance from the 8 to the XR?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
It's amazing how good the cameras are nowadays. Our 5-ish year point-and-shoot takes way worse pictures. And my parents tried to GIVE me a mid-tier DSLR from 2007 and it was laughable how bad those shots were compared to the iPhone.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Has anyone updated/upgraded their phone in the past 2.5 years since we last talked about it in this thread? :lol:

AT&T -FORCED- me out of my Razer Gaming Phone last week.......... Long story short, their system/network doesn't recognize my phone as a 4G phone, but simply as a 3G phone. We'll leave it at that cause it was a very displeasing and disappointing experience to try and sort out the fallacy. So, they sent me some bullshit LG phone that is supreme trash, and the worst downgrade possible.

Now, I'm trying to sell my phone, and then I'll try to find a cheap Razer Gaming Phone 2. I really loved this phone for the 120HZ refresh rate, and its top of the line speakers (for a phone). I have yet to hear a better sounding phone.

I haven't been up to date with phone releases. Have more and more newer phones been releasing with a 120HZ refresh rate? Do any other phones have dual front speakers, with amplifiers?

Looking forward to reading about your upgrades!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I've been using an LG G8 that is in the process of dying, so in the last few days, I've been researching.

I'm thinking of picking up a Pixel 3a or OnePlus N100/N200 for $150-200.

I'm not a power user and I think those will do fine for me for now.