What should my 1st performance upgrade be jw???

i just purchased my STi and idk what I should get 1st, exhaust is my usual 1st upgrade purchase I love the way these things sound but want the best sound. Price is no option. Ive heard the greedy evo 2 sounds nasty idk any input welcome subie fam. and maybe a tuner for starters but I have no idea what turner they use for subies. thanks:shock:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You have a lot of options are far as the exhaust goes. Youre going to either have to listen to the different brands on youtube or in person if you have local meets. Each one is literally different and it depends on your tastes. They have straight pipes and then they have silent exhausts. Are you looking for just a catback or a full turboback right now? (Downpipe + catback)

There are two options are far as tuning goes. It depends on your experience with tuning a car. If youre new to tuning, the the Cobb Accessport is your best bet since its so simple to use and ease of access is a breeze. Its very straight forward. If youre a more experienced user then the other option is a Tactrix cable and a laptop. It all depends on your experience so we will wait for you to respond before we dive deeper into that aspect.

These cars are super touchy when it comes to mods (in exception to a catback since it doesnt alter much flow) but for example an intake, a downpipe, ect. Everything you change requires a tune for optimal safety and the security that your car is healthy and will not get damaged.

The cobb accessport has a few "stages" of performance with an OTS (off the shelf) tune thats pretty generic. For example if your car is completely stock, you can flash over to "stage 1" for a better tune since the stock tune is so crappy. "Stage 2" requires a downpipe and a catback (turboback exhaust) and it has a significant increase in power. Again thats all based on your user experience with tuning.

Definitely take it slow and do your research so you get the best positive experience with your car! :tup:

CapeCrusader

Also consider fresh fluid changes (oil, coolant, etc). Depending on the mileage you may want to change the spark plugs as well. Make sure your car is in good working order before you start modding. Bushings are a way to bring life back to Subaru's handling characteristics. Look up kartboy parts.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My first mod was (and would be again) swaybars and endlinks. It really helps in the corners and doesn't really affect ride quality. It's also one of the cheapest performance mods you can do!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
His 1st mod was Platinum membership. :)

im so glad yall are so helpful on this forum just for starters and hell im not to in depth on tuning yet one my best friends is a college grad and certified mechanic that has built and tuned things from srt4s, Hondas, STi, to all things imaginable. He helps me with most things on my cars. Im very picky with my parts and who I trust to help me lol. But the car it self does have high miles, so maybe chassis and suspension need upgraded 1st just cause new parts are better :). but I do know that it has had a fresh motor rebuild from a certified Subaru dealership bout 5,000 miles ago I have all the receipts for all the work done to this car it was well taken care of I got lucky to find it. I love loud exhaust and loud bov that's just two of m favs bu I like a deep tone exhaust as well.

ok just a little update on the car stock bore and compression with cp pistons and rods, arp headstuds, 3 angle valve job, greddy turbo back exhaust, and brembo cross drilled rotors and calipers. hope this is a good start

My first mod was (and would be again) swaybars and endlinks. It really helps in the corners and doesn't really affect ride quality. It's also one of the cheapest performance mods you can do!

I only did the rear set to make it tail happy did your front help much?

Here She is. and i prolly will go with all suspension upgrades 1st cuz i cant stand a car to not handle like i want it to.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Suspension is a great way to start. Sways and endlinks make a huge difference. Whiteline FTW!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
More pics please! :D

Last edited:

Alter3go

I'd say feel the car out and drive it for the purpose you intend it for... AutoX,drag, DD etc.. I'd mod based off that.

What do u plan on doing with it?

ZachTTLM

I agree that suspension upgrades will be a huge improvement. This will help bring your car back to a nice connected feel and give you more confidence when driving it. When it comes to swaybars and endlinks for these, I agree with previous statements as Whiteline being the best. Other areas to look are bushing replacement. Being that the OEM bushings are rubber and over time get soft and tend to tear you can really help the car by changing these out. Rear differential bushings to start with are very easy to do and are low cost and are offered by many companies such as whiteline, perrin, etc. You will also be much happier with upgrading your shifter bushings, this will make shifting your car more enjoyable and smoother. We would be happy to provide pricing on anything you are looking for just shoot us a PM and if you have any questions on any other parts feel free to ask we will help you any way we can.