EJ25...ORRRR ?

colbygilbert3

I recently acquired an 02 WRX on a trade. The car has a full 6sp swap out of an 06 STI built by 6 STAR motor sports , had a full race deck motor but the guy blew it up and gave up on the car. So a 06/07 (EJ25) should bolt right in without a problem. I have been doing some research on the EJ25 and cant seem to find a used one for a decent price, seems like they're all around $5k on ebay and such. I have also found built short blocks for around 3-4K but what kind of $ am i looking at to finish assembling a full motor out of the built short block ?.... Kind of stuck on what to do here... dont know if it'd be worth to buy a stock STI motor for around $4-5K. Looking for some insight on what other people would do in this situation.

Thanks in advance !!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to the forum! Lets get some knowledgable people in here!
[MENTION=1507]Spamby[/MENTION] [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION] [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] [MENTION=3516]zax[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION]

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Factory fresh short block is 1800-2000. Drop in some forged pistons, maybe rods and be done with that for about 3k. Upgrade your oil pick up to a killer b. Transfer all of the other parts over.
New timing belt.
Make sure heads are good.
Check clutch while it's out.
Check turbo.

Since the previous engine was built, make sure you know what was done to it. Build off of that or spend more to change to a new configuration.

A new tune may be necessary after all said and done.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'd start with a factory short block. Drop in some pistons.
Scour the sale adds and find as much used stuff like intake manis and heads. Try to get as much used and usable parts.
Do as much work as you can to save coin.
Or really 3k doesn't sound too bad for a complete used engine as long as the case halves are good and your not gonna have to sleeve the block.

I would pull the motor and see what is reusable. Then base parts and price from there.

If the block is toast, you can use the block halves from a legacy 2.5.

Honestly, shops charge wayyyyy to much for built engines for these cars. Its insane. 4-6Kish.

I can build one for around 1K. I could probably build you one and ship it for under 2k. depending on parts and labor.

If you need a crank add 300 for a new oem one.

500 pistons
300 rods
100 bearings
50 hone and block clean
200 gasket kit

1150 total

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
^ he's buying a roller, no engine in the car.
Which reminds me, there are a few FS ads here with blocks.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You could look up one of our vendors, Craig at FTP, see what he has available for shortblocks and move on from there as the guys suggested.

www.fasttuningproducts.com

ZachTTLM

[MENTION=3602]colbygilbert3[/MENTION] Where are you located so I can possibly get some information on places around you that can help with the block to help from there I can also provide help with supporting part needs or if close enough help with build needs.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
P&L Motorsports is in Chicagoland if I remember correctly. It can't hurt to give them a call...though they are probably stupid expensive.

Im located in Illinois, suburbs of Chicago. @WRB STI i will def contact you and maybe we can work something out.

Sounds good. I didnt realize that the engine was missing. I thought it was blown for some reason. Anyways let me know what you want to do. I can hook you up with some discount parts.