Reverend's Hyper Blue WRX STI

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Perfect look!

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Thanks! The combination of a wider offset and stickier tires has been a LOT of fun so far! We've got two more days of unseasonably nice weather here in Nebraska before Winter brings cold and snow this weekend, so I'm trying to find time to enjoy em as much as possible before then!

IMG_2847 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

Sometimes it's the little details that make something special. Got some Hyper Blue Touch-Up paint to fix a nice chip I got, so I decided to try it out a different way.

Thought it turned out nice. Gonna do one more coat to get the little edges of pink outta there, but I'm surprised how happy I am with such a small change.

I also got a bit of a surprise from last year. I run a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe in Prepared AWD class for Rallycross but last year I decided to take the STI out for a spin once. Well, when they made the trophies for the 2016 season, I was surprised to find my Hyper Blue on the award instead of the '99 Impreza! Haha they're still talking about me rallying that car. I'll probably do it again this year at an event since it was such a good time.

I've realized two things after owning this STI for a Year-and-a-half. #1: I love this car. I can't get rid of it, turn it in, trade it in, or anything like that. #2: I wanna make it faster.

That being said, it's time to find some parts and assemble the cast for "STAGE TWO BROH!!!" And I've already begun. I'm getting ARK GRiP Performance Exhaust but, thankfully, I've managed to find a lightly used set so I'm not shelling out a weeks earnings on an exhaust. Outside of this addition, I'm still considering a few bits but not 100% sold or committed to anything yet.

ark_wrx11_gripexhaust.jpg

To go along with this I'm looking at different Downpipes and Boost Controllers. I've been leaning towards a COBB or GrimmSpeed Catted Downpipe and a Grimmspeed Manual Boost Controller. Some have told me to also add an Air Oil Separator, but I'm not sure I'll be making enough power to really cause any blow-by issues. I'll obviously get a tune for all this lined up, but wanted to hear some opinions from fellow STI owners about things to add or different products to get some more power.

I'm not interested in switching to E85 at this time, or a Flex Fuel tune. My car is currently stock and Pro Tuned by Boosted Performance Tuning on 93 Octane (also have a 91 tune for traveling).

Man I'm jelly, I always wanted the Ark GRiP but that price is insane for a new one lol.

That's why I found one used. A classifieds page on Facebook had one listed for half the price in good condition. It was local pickup only in Texas, but luckily I know a few of the 1320 guys who are headed to TX2K this weekend. They're bringing the exhaust back for me. I lucked out!

Now I've just gotta figure out the rest of the parts and get it tuned up! Any suggestions?

At first I thought this video would be enough but I was wondering if I should also include some different shots instead of just flooring it. Maybe a drive by outside shot or something else. Figured I'd show you guys what I had before I publish it or see if I need to go back to the drawing board.

Lemme know! Thanks!

https://youtu.be/iyTqYaPjewE

I think some shots of sound with deceleration, and at idle idle would be good too. Also do this from two perspectives one exterior and one from inside the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The next stage for the WRX STI found a bit more power and sound. At first I was waiting until 3 years were up to start making changes under the hood, but after 15,000 memorable miles... there's no way I can consider getting rid of this thing any time soon. Plus, it sounds like if I do ever part ways with it, it would have to go to David Higgins... so there's that.

To turn up the heat, I needed a few parts and a tune. Found a great deal on some lightly used parts that saved me a ton of $$$ versus buying them new. A Grimmspeed Catless Downpipe, Grimmspeed Heat Shield, and a ARK Performance GRiP catback exhaust were sourced and installed along with a new Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller and an Innovate Motorsports Wideband Sensor tied into the ECU.

Had some friends over to help install it all and the next day I headed to Des Moines for a tune from Graham Gaylord. This is my second tune from Boosted Performance (first was just a simple "Stage 1") and had a great time with him as usual. We really opened up the top and bottom end of the power band and noticeably reduced Turbo lag. Not only that, but Graham was pleased with the Symphony of Sound the ARK GRiP was creating while still being easy on our ears inside the cabin. The sound is great and there's almost no drone!

Gonna put together a good video under different driving conditions, but for now that one I had before will do.

https://youtu.be/iyTqYaPjewE

I'm really happy with the performance and exhaust note from this setup. There's some adjustment I want to make to the passenger side exhaust hangars (they sit slightly lower than the drivers side) but other than that, I'm really pleased with how everything went. Along with the added power, the stickier Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires I got on my Method wheels earlier this spring are still keeping me glued to the road so this car is more than just fun in a straight line. The car still feels very predictable thanks to that balance between grip and power.

SDMotorworks

On Vacation
So as it turns out, the STI is still a rally car. I was floored at how well this car did in the dirt last weekend... on SUMMER TIRES even. Two Tenths off the fastest time of the day wasn't too shabby, either! I may need to switch gears and make the Impreza RS my daily and start competing with THIS thing!

http://allwelldrive.blogspot.com/2017/04/still-rally-car.html
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2865/33967490000_49ea52d30f_z.jpgIMG_5062-1 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

Love it!!! Let us know if there is anything we can help you with during your build.

Didn't think I'd ever do something like this, but an opportunity presented itself that I couldn't pass up on an item I wouldn't have otherwise bothered going for. What on earth am I on about?

I picked up a ViS Racing Carbon Fiber Hood, complete with hood vents, and it's in the paint shop waiting for a fresh coat of MY3 Hyper Blue.

Kinda stoked to give this car a little more of an aggressive look while adding some function to keeping the engine temperatures down a little. I couldn't pass on the price (over half off to buy it new) and it should be done by the weekend. Pretty excited to see how it turns out!

Should be ready for the weekend. Hopefully getting painted tomorrow (and then going on the car Saturday). A guy had it for sale months ago and I had thought about it but someone had already purchased it. Turns out he left the seller hanging all that time and never paid or came to pick it up so he put it back on the market even cheaper just to get rid of it fast. That's when I nabbed it!

It's pretty much the same weight as the lightweight OEM aluminium hood, but the larger scoop drives more air to the intercooler and the vents should help keep engine temperatures down... or it's just a load of bullsh*t and I wanted to make it look cooler. Either way, it's coming along.

Admittedly didn't do the best tape job around the vents on the hood. Going to try to reduce the sharp edge on those and straighten out some of the lines a little more. Worst-case scenario I'll just line the edges with black vinyl to clean up the look a little. I did get the hood adjusted so it sits properly on the car. It was a tad off when we first installed it.

Untitled by 86Reverend, on Flickr

It's not as obvious in the photos but the larger hood scoop is significantly larger than the stock one. This is especially noticeable when you're in the car driving it. It certainly has some presence!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looks great!

?Join us as a Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Added a bit to the handling department of the Higgins Blue STI. SuperPro Front and Rear Endlinks, Front and Rear Sway Bar Bushings, and Adjustable Rear Sway Bar added! Improved the handling significantly!! Nice neutral handling, less body roll, and just sharper steering in general. I love it!