clay bar/ detailing questions.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
so im pretty new to this high quality detailing work

my car has a lot of swirl marks in the paint (its 8 years old) and id like to get rid of them and make it really shine. the body and paint are in great condition for its age and id like to keep it that way.

i know using a clay bar will get most of that out and really bring out the shine again but i have never done it myself. any tips from the pros for beginners? i have seen a Youtube video or 2 on the subject but who knows their knowledge level. any moron with a camera can post one.

also would it be good to do it before winter? or better to wait until after?
[MENTION=115]DetailersDomain[/MENTION]

In my experience with cars, clay bar detailing won't do a lot for swirls in your paint. Not to say clay isn't good, it's just not the key to getting the swirl out that you mentioned. Usually rail dust and other contaminants that regular washing won't remove are what clay CAN get out... but the swirls are in the paint. A Dual-Action polisher is your best bet at removing swirls and giving a nice glossy "wet" look to your car's paint. Do two passes on your car with one (first with a fine-cut compound, second with a finshing polish) and your paint will look better than when it rolled off the boat from JDM Land.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah, claybar is for getting ALL the contaminants out of the paint/clear before using a polish.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
ahh see I thought it was the clay itself that gets the swirls out. what is the difference between buffing, polishing, and waxing? I would really like to get this car shining like it just came from JDM land lol. I probably better off paying for a full detail at this point.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think you buff (verb) with polish (noun) to get out swirls. Then you wax (noun and verb) to add a layer of protectant to the surface.

There are also things like opti-coat (one of many competitors) that are like an ultra-hard wax that should protect against swirls for the future.

so im pretty new to this high quality detailing work

my car has a lot of swirl marks in the paint (its 8 years old) and id like to get rid of them and make it really shine. the body and paint are in great condition for its age and id like to keep it that way.

i know using a clay bar will get most of that out and really bring out the shine again but i have never done it myself. any tips from the pros for beginners? i have seen a Youtube video or 2 on the subject but who knows their knowledge level. any moron with a camera can post one.

also would it be good to do it before winter? or better to wait until after?
[MENTION=115]DetailersDomain[/MENTION]
https://youtu.be/z63QAlLMgSM

So I know this is an older thread and you've had plenty of time to do research. However this guy has a great channel on YouTube and this is a video he talks about clay bars. Also this is always a good topic for DIYers to get good info for.

I've been looking into starting my own arsenal for detailing my own vehicles properly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
https://youtu.be/z63QAlLMgSM

So I know this is an older thread and you've had plenty of time to do research. However this guy has a great channel on YouTube and this is a video he talks about clay bars. Also this is always a good topic for DIYers to get good info for.

I've been looking into starting my own arsenal for detailing my own vehicles properly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Start a journal for your car and keep us updated with your progress in the detailing domain as well! :tup:

subieeing

Using a claybar isn't going to remove the swirls.

Look into getting a dual action polisher and learning how to use that.

Harbor Freight has a pretty cheap one that gets the job done well.

Also look learning to washing your car so you won't leave more swirls after you polish your car.

I like using the Gary Dean method with ONR, or you could use a two bucket method.

Just don't use the brush a the carwash or go through an automatic wash.