May need a clutch?

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
So i was looking for a post like this but couldnt find one.

How can i tell if my car needs a clutch?

The car has been feeling sluggish the past few weeks i thought there was a boost leak (no boost gauge to confirm) and i replaced the hose i thought it was and it felt better but still not 100% but as im driving more in noticing what may feel like slipping and then the car suddenly hitting boost. I have a feeling the clutch is slipping then grabbing and the car taking off like normal but im not sure. Any help?

And thats all i have to say about that...

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If the RPM climbs but the car is not accelerating, then the clutch is bad. If not then there is something else wrong... or nothing is wrong and your are over sensitive :lol:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
It could be me lol. But i dont think its shot. I think its on its way out

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
If your clutch really is going out, it's going to get worse exponentially faster. If you do replace the clutch, think about getting a new OEM flywheel.

Resurfacing is okay but if you auto-x the car, launch hard or otherwise abuse it from time to time, I'd highly suggest a new flywheel. The one you have now can be resurfaced a couple times without it getting weak and braking, BUT the reduction in mass from resurfacing can cause it to heat up faster and develop some wicked hot spots.

Trust me, I welded my clutch to my flywheel during a hard launch because developed these hot spots after being resurfaced a couple times.

A new OEM flywheel is about $240 (iirc), so it's totally worth the peace of mind.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Well i havent noticed it getting worse so maybe thats not the problem. Im not sure where else to look unless its turbo related

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Any weird sounds?

Maybe get a fresh tank of 93 from a different station than your usual.

If you can data log, you could send a couple logs to Holy to look over.

Clean your MAF sensor.

How long have those plugs been in the car?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
No weird sounds

Just got gas today from a station i used to use when i worked at my last job. (Way before this problem)

No idea how to data log

Could clean the maf

No idea how long the plugs have been in there. 115k on the car right now bought it at 96k