Grinder34

Track Monkey
need another pic from further out!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Looks great!

Rally on!!

Finished out 2018 strong. I raced my heart out at I-80 Speedway with the STI and had a blast. Managed enough points to win my class in Rallycross again this year.

The winter setup has proven itself in the snow a bit, too. We haven't had much snow, but I did take it out for a spin cycle before they could plow and put salt down. Kinda funny how clean my car remained after that fun run... the snow almost looks painted on!

For 2018 I've got a few ideas for the STI. Mostly want to get this thing running with a Flex Fuel tune so I can A: travel a little easier with this thing and B: make use of some E85. I'm assembling a cast of parts to accompany this change and will hopefully have things together by spring.

I anticipate more racing ahead for the Higgins Blue STI and I'd like to make it out to another Stage Rally event, too. Should be a fun 2018!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Amazing! :tup:

So METHOD has another "Rally" wheel coming out this year. The 503 looks to be a lightweight wheel design and it might make more sense for a Summer / Track Day type setup than my current Method 501s. Because I'm A: a Rally nut, B: a continuity freak and C: like to make things more complicated than they need to be... I might actually rock a 3-wheel setup for the STI. It'd break down like this:

501: All-Season Tires
502: Winter Tires (also use for Rallycross)
503: Summer Tires (also use for Autocross)

In my area, we really don't see enough consistent snow on the streets to really warrant having snow tires on year-round. You really could get away with an All-Season in the wintertime here and switch to snows if you knew a big storm was coming to drop inches of white stuff. Currently all I'm doing is driving on squishy Winter Tires on dry pavement wearing 'em out which means that I get less treadlife for use when it IS actually bad out... and that I'm subsequently running down the tread on tires I will use for Rallycross as well. Switching my 501s to an All-Season setup would help save the tread in my winter setup AND allow me to run my favorite-looking Method more frequently (as the 501 is still my favorite of the three).

Untitled by 86Reverend, on Flickr

What do you guys think?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Daddy likes!

bue car

Too small for the size. I feel you either lean towards a tarmac rally wheel or gravel. That just looks meh IMO.

Took the Higgins Blue STI to the Subaru Winter Experience in Eagle River, WI. Patrik Sandell was kind enough to let me bring the car down to the track. Without studded tires (mine are just snow tires), it was kind of worthless on the track, but I managed to have some fun on the slalom course and get some nice pictures!

Read about my adventures on Ice >>HERE<<

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'll read when I get home later. You always seem to be doing fun things! How much does it cost you on average to attend an event like this?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

This event was probably the most expensive I've done ($1,450) but for all-day instruction, all meals included, and experience with three different cars on a frozen lake... it really seemed like a good deal for the price. The local rallycross events I go to are only $35 per day and include lunch. The rally events I've gone to are free to spectate at, just travel expenses.

Thanks! Took home 1st in my class and 3rd overall at the last rallycross we had. Went a little too wide on one of the turns near the end of the day and the heavy damp clods of clay pummled the passenger-side fender liner out of the car... which is the first time I've damaged the car in competition. Pretty easy fix so I got it all buttoned up.

IMG_0142 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

I've been really happy with the STI since the power bump I got last year... but I'd really like to go one more step and get it tuned for FlexFuel. Mostly for the convenience of being able to put 91, 93, or E85 in there, a FlexFuel tune would help simplify things when I'm traveling. Last month when I went to the Subaru Winter Experience, which was a 10 hour drive, I was using the Find93.com website to plan out where I could get 93 fuel so I could stay on that tune the whole trip. However, two of the gas stations I visited that it recommended did not carry 93... I suppose that's more of a gripe with the website than my car, but it's a hassle to try switching between tunes constantly.

Above all, I want my STI to continue to be reliable and solid. I'm not looking to blow it up anytime soon for the sake of it being as fast as humanly possible. Outside of a FlexFuel kit from COBB, are there other things you guys would recommend to upgrade while I'm at it? Looking forward to your suggestions!