Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverend's Hyper Blue WRX STI

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Reverend's Hyper Blue WRX STI

"Higgins Blue" STI
    2016 Subaru WRX STI Series.HyperBlue
    Purchased October 3rd, 2015
    This is my 2016 WRX STI. Of the 700 that Subaru made of the Series.HyperBlue models, this was the 44th one they built like this. I bought it around the same time that David Higgins and Craig Drew completed their Perfect Season for the 2015 Rally America National Championship, so I've made it a bit of a "Celebration Car" for that. I've taken it with me to several Stage Rally events and met up with the champ, who has since been a passenger and a driver in it. I also compete at local rallycross events with it and enjoy taking it to Subaru meets with friends. It's been a fun car to work on and a thrill to enjoy on twisty roads.

Photo Album (Flickr)

2. Thanks jimoblivion thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Subscribed 😁

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Been a busy two months and I can't stop myself from driving this thing all over creation. Didn't take long for me to want to protect this thing, so I got some Clear Bra on there on Day 3. Lots of construction, road work, and rocks on the road around here. Also got 20% Tint all around done. Then I took care of my pet peeve with the grille and swapped it out for a nicer cleaner JDM one.

1,000 Mile Update

The car has been absolutely brilliant so far. I changed the oil at the first 1,000 miles and replaced it with Rotella T6. Can't tell too much of a difference but the motor does seem slightly quieter and runs a hair smoother. During the break-in process I got after it a little, but now that I'm past that, I've been a little more aggressive with throttle inputs and pushing it a little more. When I first started driving this, the "Intelligent" mode was plenty of fun for me. Now I'm quite bored with that economy setting and find myself leaving it in Sport most of the time, punching it every so often in Sport #. Still getting used to that Turbo kicking in when I'm coming out of a turn!

Outside of the joys of ownership, I have managed to turn this "Hyper Blue" car into a "Higgins Blue" car thanks to a friend and his vinyl skills. I asked if he could make me "#75" logos for the wing of my STI to commemorate SRT USA driver David Higgins' perfect 2015 RallyAmerica Season. He delivered and they look great! Actually, they looked so good that, when I posted them on Facebook, David Higgins asked if he could share it on his page!

https://www.facebook.com/davidhiggin...463410/?type=3

5. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So awesome! Thanks for the update.

Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

This car won't see much snow, but driving on the roads in the winter with these Summer Tires is admittedly a bad idea. So, for my alternate set of wheels for it, I found some BBS wheels from a 2005 WRX STI. They were covered in 4 coats of chipped-up rattle-can paint jobs, so we stripped 'em and had them powdercoated black. REALLY happy with how they turned out!

I wrapped them in Continental Extreme Contact DWS 245/45R17 Tires and added Rally Armor UE Mudflaps while I had each wheel off (for easier installation). Really happy with how it all turned out!

8. Likes KenpoSTi liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Been seriously considering getting the JDM Fog Lights for my Hyper Blue. I've been pushed even further to considering this after seeing them in person.

The main reason I'd like them is to change the finish on the bezel itself. I had considered painting the stock ones gloss black, but it doesn't seem like paint wants to adhere to such a textured surface quite right. That, and that extra light would be pretty sweet, especially considering I've got the Boomerang Driving Light conversion done already. I'd probably just tie the JDM Fog DRL into the wiring for those so they're both on when I'm driving during the daytime. I'll probably pull the trigger on these soon, but I'm still recovering from the cost of the new wheels and tires.

NOW my only other concern, that I didn't consider earlier, is that the lower grille will look funny since it's not glossy black. However, I don't think it's nearly as noticeable on lighter colors like mine. It was pretty obvious on the black and dark gray STIs I've seen.

10. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

How much are they?

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

They are $435.95 from @SMY Performance. I decided to purchase a set from them and have them mounted but not hooked up.

IMG_0214 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

I LOVE the look of these! The glossy black not only compliments the JDM grille perfectly, but it really goes well with the Hyper Blue-on-Black look that these cars have.

IMG_0194 by 86Reverend, on Flickr

I've been considering different wiring / lighting options with these. I have the SubiSpeed DRL Boomerang kit for mine and I've been thinking of trying that LED strip in so they come on with those. Right now I've just been too busy to get in there and hook 'em up but I've been drooling over the look of my front end. Really enjoying how well these work on this car.

Any suggestions on wiring these things up would be appreciated! I'm open to different ideas.

13. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

@Reverend oh we're jealous now!

15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yeah those are WAY better!

My journal

Tuning & Service: Self Tuned
    Machining services: Bob @ Ace Crankshaft, Bayshore NY, Ralph @ Chudnow Manufacturing

16. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast