BOV/CAT issues and questions

yanez.alex1108

I own a 2011 Subaru sti sedan. Bought it a little over a year ago. The only thing it had done to it where some appearance mods and a BOV had been installed. The BOV took a S#!t on me and blew both my cats leaving me with no boost! I replaced the BOV with the BPV and the downpipe then I was warned that my rear cat might be blown too. I gained about 3 on my boost gauge and nothing more. I'm considering buying a turbo back exhaust which comes with that rear cat I need. Is that a wise choice and if so will I need a tune? Will my car run really rough or somewhat the same? Any help will ease my stress lol. Thanks guys

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would consider getting a turbo back exhaust system with out the rear cat. This will open things up greatly and help with power, boost and that is one less cat you have to worry about clogging.

Yes you will need a tune for any turbo back system and you have several options. If you have a Cobb AccessPort then you can start by using an OTS stage 2 map.

yanez.alex1108

Right on! Thanks!
I have a couple more questions:
Will it pass smog in CA without that rear cat?
I'm considering buying the invidia Q300 turbo back. Will CobbAP have a tune for me even if I'm not installing Cobb performance parts?
Sorry for the newbie questions. I'm just trying to get it done right✌️ thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nope it wont pass emissions... it will also stink and noone will want to ride with you. pretty much anything you do to your car will make it fail the emissions test in socal only way around it is to put everything back to stock every couple years to pass then smog check.

I don't think it really increases smell if your not running rich. But yes prep for putting the car back to stock every smog test.

I lived in San Diego and got a smog ref ticket so I had to put back to stock to pass then modify again. Then turbo went out so I did same thing for warranty and then the motor started eating oil so I put it back to stock once again and was denied warranty for not having proof of oil changes.

Essentially I went from stock to modified, back to stock then modified, then back to stock to modified, then back to stock to disassembled for my rebuild lol.

Keep it simple with a turbo back exhaust and a cob ap and you can easily put everything back to stock in a few hours. The key thing is making sure you get a good cat back exhaust that allows you to run the stock down pipe when you need to pass smog so you can just put back the DP and intake to pass smog.

PS the stock subaru intake box is pretty good and you don't see a lot of gain with an aftermarket on4ėe so I'd jut keep it and invest that money in to the exhaust and cob ap. If you really get the tuner bug then upgrade injectors, fuel pump and get an e85 tune

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)