Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhuast

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhuast

Is there anyone in the state of PA that has a catless exhuast setup? If so, how do you pass inspection without a catalytic convertor?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhuast

Quote Originally Posted by STIhawkeye07 View Post
    Is there anyone in the state of PA that has a catless exhuast setup? If so, how do you pass inspection without a catalytic convertor?
    We do, but no emissions where we're at.

Without you, we cease to exist. Without your support, we stop growing. Without your involvement, we remain at a standstill.
    Thank you for your faithfulness to our organization and your creative ideas and support.

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

I haven't lived in PA for a while, but if I remember correctly, there are only certain jurisdictions that perform emissions tests. However, state inspectors are supposed to visually verify that there is a catalytic converter installed and nothing more on exhaust emissions. So the way I see it, you can shop around for a mechanic that will look the overlook your lack of catalytic converter if you do not live in an emissions controlled city. Otherwise, if you must have a cat, you could acquire a downpipe with a high-flow cat, remove the guts from your current cat or get a catless downpipe and weld a cat shell over the area where the cat would normally be.

I know some people that retain their stock downpipe after they purchase a catless dp. Before they go for inspections, they put the stock one on and change it back when they get home.

Last edited by Batmobile_Engage; 05-20-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    My oath of enlistment has no expiration date.

Member Journal:
    https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/sho...Member-Journal

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Of course I would never suggest that you violate the law...

Member Journal:

5. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, STIhawkeye07 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    Of course I would never suggest that you violate the law...

Nice recovery

Rock on

7. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Doesn't PA have self echeck kiosks like OH does?

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

*DISCLAIMER* Clearly catless downpipes are for offroad use only. But if we're going to have a theoretical discussion of how someone might get away with one on public roads:

Do you get a sniffer, OBDII, or visual inspection. There are ways around them all, but you gotta know what you're up against.

Check out my journal here!

10. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes Batmobile_Engage, IGOTASTi liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Exhuast

I know this is a old ass thread but I just wanted to add some info that someone else might be able to use. I have a 2014 STI and I do have a TurboXS turbo back exhaust with a TurboXS “catless” downpipe. I live in Maryland which has emissions testing. At first I was scared that it might not pass emissions with my catless downpipe, but when the time came for me to take my car to the emissions test station, my car passed with no problems! I was sooo surprised that it passed even so that I had the girl look again to make sure she was telling me correct. She was. My car passed emissions testing with my catless downpipe!!! Yay!!

Now with that said, not all Subaru’s will pass emissions with a catless downpipe. Just cuz mine did, doesn’t mean yours will too. Every states emissions laws are different and have different people doing the testing. I say this cuz before I got my Subie I had a Toyota that I cleaned out my converter and it had problems passing emissions. I went to one emissions station and no matter what, it failed. So I went to another station, in the same county, and I pulled into the line with the youngest person doing the testing and I started talking to him telling him my car was having trouble passing. This guy says to me,” don’t worry about it, I’ll take care of it”. So I shut my mouth and he passed it. Again, if you try this, YMMV. And I do not recommend trying this cuz it is against the law to drive your car on a public street without a converter on your exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Batmobile_Engage, Alin liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sniperkill View Post
    I know this is a old ass thread but I just wanted to add some info that someone else might be able to use. I have a 2014 STI and I do have a TurboXS turbo back exhaust with a TurboXS “catless” downpipe. I live in Maryland which has emissions testing. At first I was scared that it might not pass emissions with my catless downpipe, but when the time came for me to take my car to the emissions test station, my car passed with no problems! I was sooo surprised that it passed even so that I had the girl look again to make sure she was telling me correct. She was. My car passed emissions testing with my catless downpipe!!! Yay!!
    Whether you will pass without a cat depends on their test procedure and specified limits. I'd imagine the limits are pretty generous and/or they run the test with little to no load on the engine. I'm 99.9% sure you would fail in California, for example.

Member Journal:

14. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Whether you will pass without a cat depends on their test procedure and specified limits. I'd imagine the limits are pretty generous and/or they run the test with little to no load on the engine. I'm 99.9% sure you would fail in California, for example.
    Yes sir, you are correct. I was editing my post for this same reason that your describing at the same time you were quoting my post, lol.

I thought that I should put a disclaimer in the post too... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, Batmobile_Engage liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast