Transmission service

Piper86

Hi all,

I have a 06 STI, how difficult is the gearbox and rear diff service, is it just a oil change that is required or what?
And how easy can you get to the draining and filling points?

Car has 131000km on now.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It's a lot easier than you imagine. Do you have access to a lift? Do you have a jack? Do you have tools?

Piper86

I have tools, ramps, 2x stands and I'm purchasing a trolley jack soon
I also plan on purchasing the specialized tools as required so please let m know if any are needed for this specific task.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Its pretty easy actually.

The two specialized tools you need are a T70 torx bit (i think this varies by year), and a fluid hand-pump and/or some tubing will make things easier.

On the trans, there are actually two drains. One's the big ole T70, and then theres a smaller "pan" behind it with another drain. The fill is on the case, below the IC on the passenger side. I measured out my fluid (I got a 5 gal jug of Extra-S) and used the hand-pump to transfer it over. The tube helps you get it in without spilling it everywhere, but a tube on the bottom of a funnel will probably work just as well.

The rear is just a drain and a fill hole on the back of the car. You probably dont even need to jack it. In fact, to keep it level I think you're NOT supposed to jack it up. Anyways, as a trick, remove the fill plug first. That way if there are any problems, you've got diff fluid in there. Anyways, then just drain, and fill. IIRC the fill level is just until it dribbles out of the fill hole with the car level. Again, a hand pump is useful, but a tube is pretty much required.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh, and make sure you get the proper fluid for the diff. The 07 uses Extra-S (same as the trans) because it has a torsen type diff. I believe the 06 uses a clutch-type diff and needs fluid with extra friction modifiers.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] Not sure if you saw, but Subaru changed their differential gear fluids. They have a "High Performance Gear Oil" now and the "Extra-S" is no longer available. This is because the new fluids ARE the "Extra-S," just renamed into one single fluid.
[MENTION=5834]Piper86[/MENTION] , if thats what Subaru in South Africa recommends, you should be good to go!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
@Grinder34 Not sure if you saw, but Subaru changed their differential gear fluids. They have a "High Performance Gear Oil" now and the "Extra-S" is no longer available. This is because the new fluids ARE the "Extra-S," just renamed into one single fluid.
@Piper86 , if thats what Subaru in South Africa recommends, you should be good to go!

Well I still got my 5 gal jug! Does it go bad if closed? I could imagine moisture getting in, but it should evaporate out after the first time it gets hot, right?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have no idea, but if you have a sealed 5 gallon jug, sell that shit because it's rare! 10000% increase! :tard:

How long have you had it?

Piper86

So I have not gotten to this yet but now see it as a matter of urgency
Last week whilst accelerating up a slight hill on the freeway after filling up i noted my R.diff Temp light flash for a instant before I shifted and again in the next gear. I didn't push much further as precaution and I gave now arranged to get it checked out asap
Any suggestions or guesses on what this might be?

The clunking in DCCD auto at low speed when turning is also still a worry to me and I'm told it might be related to a drivetrain service being overdue. I will be replacing with Motul 300 gear oil 75w90

Piper86

276f7bf7bcda582262c8ceae86ed9731.jpg

Had the drivetrain serviced with this oil and the diff with the liqimoly i previously mentioned, worlds difference