Ride height

Piper86

Hi all
My car, 2006 sti, has been set up wit a ride height almost 2cm lower in the front.
The place that does suspensions in my area said this is correct because it helps the car turn and brings the rear out.

Your thoughts? Recommendations?

I have a height adjustable coil over suspension installed so i can adjust myself if required

Grinder34

Track Monkey
2 cm drop should be fine, especially if it's been aligned. The problem with too big a drop is you start getting disadvantageous camber under compression. Plus you're that much closer to bump stops, which is a problem with stock suspension. But 2cm is fine and looks better in my opinion.

With my coilovers i had 13.75" front ride height and 13.5" rear ride height vs 15.x and 14.x stock. I think it's 15.4 and 14.2, but I could be wrong. (Measured from center of wheel, straight up to the fender). Anyways, I tracked my car and it handled marvelously.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The front is often a little bit lower than the rear, but I don't know if 2 cm lower in the front is optimal or not. My front is 0.5 cm lower than the rear.

Ride height differences between front and rear alone, shouldn't have that much of an impact on cornering and bringing the rear end out. Spring rate, damping and sway bar settings would have a greater impact on handling.

I don't have that much experience with coilovers, as I personally prefer gas shocks and springs, but I'd think you'd want to have your alignment checked after making any changes to your setup, including ride height...no matter how minute.

You have experience with coilovers, right @Alin?

EDIT: Well, there you go. Grinder beat me to it...and he knows what's up.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I have zero experience with coilovers. I sold the set I bought almost instantly. I'm still on my stock struts and springs. I've actually been looking into a setup like your's [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] . Just gotta find a good deal on a used set. I saw a set a month ago and now I'm kicking myself for not buying them cause they were only about $500 for struts and springs. :doh:

I don't think I'll do coils unless I find an unbelievable deal. I'm pretty satisfied with how the car is now, so we'll see.

Piper86

Hi all,
I need to raise my car a bit, can anyone please tell me what are the stock heights on the hawkeye sti. Measured from floor to bottom of wheel arch running past the centre of the wheel?
I need these measurements to calculate how much lower my car has bern set snd how much i can go up by.