WTF?!!!

Rice Rocket

So last night I took the car to the track for test and tune. The best time I could manage was a 13.9 at 96mph. My car ran a 13.3 last year in stage II trim. My 60 foot times are terrible. 2.0+ on every run. My car is making 30 more horsepower than last year. So that brings up issue #1....
1. my car has a HTA fp green and all supporting mods. Shouldn't I be making more than 325 awhp? It was protuned and made 346. But when I put on the FMIC they retuned it to 325. It is way more streetable now with a smooth torque curve. But 325?!!
2. How do I get my 60 foot times lower?
3. I hot lapped the crap out of my car and something ( I think it was my brakes) started squeaking. It would go away when I tapped the brakes.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would think you could definitely squeeze more from the green. My friend plants about 430whp on his at sea level and on 93 + meth. On just 93 he plants about 380ish. It could also just be the tuner. Not that he didn't tune properly but that some of them tune conservatively mostly for liability reasons.

What psi are you boosting? Can you list some of your supporting mods?

So last night I took the car to the track for test and tune. The best time I could manage was a 13.9 at 96mph. My car ran a 13.3 last year in stage II trim. My 60 foot times are terrible. 2.0+ on every run. My car is making 30 more horsepower than last year. So that brings up issue #1....
1. my car has a HTA fp green and all supporting mods. Shouldn't I be making more than 325 awhp? It was protuned and made 346. But when I put on the FMIC they retuned it to 325. It is way more streetable now with a smooth torque curve. But 325?!!
2. How do I get my 60 foot times lower?
3. I hot lapped the crap out of my car and something ( I think it was my brakes) started squeaking. It would go away when I tapped the brakes.

13.9's with an FP Green and 325 whp.... Yikes, I would say something is wrong. I was running basically 13.9's with horrible 2.2+ 60 foots up here at close to 6000 feet of elevation on the stock 05 STI turbo. My 05 STi was stage 2 and put down a whooping 249 whp and 289 wtq on a Mustang dyno.

When was the last time your car was dynoed and looked over? Just because you made over 30 whp more 3 months ago doesn't mean cylinder 4 didn't let go.

Bluedemon_II

I run 1.8 in 60' and 8.0 in the 1/8 and god nows int he 1/4.

What dyno did that power come from, some dynos read lower than others. I put down 320 on pump on a dyno jet and about 330 with meth. I can say that there is something up with the car. I would bet that the problem is the turbo. Them green turbos are garbage on my book. Have seen 2 turbos fail on consecutive times even after FP said that they fixed the issue. One of them would not boost more than 25 psi even with the external gate shot closed.

I would get a compression/leak down test performed and an oil analysis done. The works. Post your results and then we can begin to answer with evidence and not just shoot on the dark.

Rice Rocket

Good advice BlueDemon.
It was dynoed at Cobb in Austin
Failure in cylinder 4?!! YIKES!!!
Does anyone get oil in their lower intercooler pipes. It's like a filmy water/oil mix. And yes i have a catch can.

STi FR3AK

Armyssoldierboy
Pedro was running 12.5 on his hta green with an intake and exhaust. He was pushing 289whp or something like that from mzm's heartbreaker. Sounds about the same power as yours. Dookey launch = bad times. Ride the clutch till you start to move then dump, that's what I do and I get 1.8's consistently. I think my best is 1.76 though. Maybe take a log to see if your tune is ok with target boost being achieved, no knock etc

+1 on the compression/leakdown test. It should take about an hour with a shop using a huge fan to cool off the engine after you drive there and get the tests done.

Last edited:

Rice Rocket

It's common to get oil/water contaminents even with an oil can. It may be the type/function of the catch can that's allowing this. Does it recirculate? Is it vented?
It is recirc. Cobb capped off the vent. (??)
Just a question. What is the recommended DCCD setting for drag racing. My question is would locking up the center diff = better launches?

It is recirc. Cobb capped off the vent. (??)
Just a question. What is the recommended DCCD setting for drag racing. My question is would locking up the center diff = better launches?

Don't think there is any solid evidence it makes a difference. I always ran mine on auto but did try a few times with it set more towards the rear with no difference in results.