Oil consumption

Not sure what years they stopped using the banjo bolt for, but they did stop for a bit then put it back in after a few years. The filter banjo bolt is easy to identify though. It has a little bump on top of the banjo bolt.

Looks like this

6c0aff7fc149b13a3b8855f999255847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troszell

Ok so I got everything out, took the screen out of banjo in side of block, lots of fun putting back on, screen was clogged looking, not starving turbo though. Huge crack in waste gate up to top of housing and over to compressor wheel edge.( I have pics need to post eventually) very lil shaft play if any the turbo itself seems solid except for the cracked waste gate. So I figure the fittings look a bit small for the new turbo, low and behold they are! So now I need a set of lines for water and oil, does anyone know where to get such a kit? The turbo is DSM-evolll TD05 16G

Replied to your other thread. I will pull out my 14b turbo and compare it to my vf39 and come up with something for you in the am.

14b is the size down from the 16g Evo iii

Troszell

So I found a turbo that is identical to mine the listing stated these sizes for the pieces I need: M10x1.5 oil feed bolt, 38 mm drain pipe kit, M14x1.5 water cooling pipe kit. Does these sizes sound about right? Lemme know what you think

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yep. That's your typical wastegate crack on those turbos. :( My factory turbo had the exact same issue. Like I said...they're not known for their quality. :tdown:

Last edited:

Troszell

the one i am throwing on probably isnt the best quality itself lol, however it should be better, gonna start sourcing the fittings needed to complete the swap, thx.

Troszell

So the turbo has been replaced(finally) and now to see if the oil consumption goes down a bit, thx for everything again

Troszell

been awhile, been busy but not with my subie, gonna get her on the road here shortly for the summer, the oil consumption did go down a bit with the new turbo, however couldnt get enough boost from turbo, changed actuator, it helped but not peaking like it should.
Still goes through oil, smokes on deceleration mainly, not constantly. Still leaning towards piston rings, but could it be a head issue?

Troszell

So I did the oil, replaced the cone filter on the short ram and did the plugs. Now my car smokes and burns oil but the plugs were nice, not fouled at all, actually looked to be running well if the plugs told the story. So Now I ask could this be an issue with the heads? or would i see fouling on the plugs more if it were a head issue (intake and exhaust valves)????? Lemme know the diagnosis' you all come up with, thanks in advance

If you want to know what is failing you will need to preform two test. Fist is a simple compression test to determine overall health of the motor. Second is a leek down test to determine where the air is escaping from. For example, intake/exhaust valves, head gasket to the oil galley/coolant system, piston rigs etc. until you get this done it is just guess work at best as to why you are burning oil.

Wow, nearly 300k miles man! I freaked out when my '04 hit 100k miles a couple weeks ago, can't imagine 300k. Very cool indeed.

Troszell

301,646.8 km showing on her today, still moves well and no major breakdowns, tough as hell this car, and I dont drive tamely lol.