Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about 07+ replacement keys and immobilizer system

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Question about 07+ replacement keys and immobilizer system

Quote Originally Posted by War_Panda04 View Post
    very interested to see the final outcome of this. i have an 07 as well and always loved the 04 keys
    Yeah this might be a trend for us lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

I was looking at this and thought of a possible solution that isnt a total hack.

So, one way to "trick" the car into thinking a secure key is present is to use a "hide a key" module under the dash. This is used sometimes where there isn't a better solution for someone installing a remote start (best example). When a remote start is installed and there isnt a specific interface mod available a key has to be sacrificed for the car to start. This may be an option to use the 04 STi keys as long as there is power going to the module at all times or maybe somehow triggered when the car is unlocked, this might be something that can be done using a relay and the lock/unlock output to trigger the relay to be active while the car is unlocked and then deactivated when the car is locked.

Ill try to get some part numbers and possible wiring diagram for better understanding.

3. Thanks IGOTASTi, War_Panda04 thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, War_Panda04 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiberedimage View Post
    I was looking at this and thought of a possible solution that isnt a total hack.

So, one way to "trick" the car into thinking a secure key is present is to use a "hide a key" module under the dash. This is used sometimes where there isn't a better solution for someone installing a remote start (best example). When a remote start is installed and there isnt a specific interface mod available a key has to be sacrificed for the car to start. This may be an option to use the 04 STi keys as long as there is power going to the module at all times or maybe somehow triggered when the car is unlocked, this might be something that can be done using a relay and the lock/unlock output to trigger the relay to be active while the car is unlocked and then deactivated when the car is locked.

Ill try to get some part numbers and possible wiring diagram for better understanding.
    There were a few guys doing this option on one of the other forums I read through when searching for info on doing this. The downside is that it is potentially more finicky (if anything shifts around) and you lose the security aspect of the immobilizer function.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hulakatt View Post
    There were a few guys doing this option on one of the other forums I read through when searching for info on doing this. The downside is that it is potentially more finicky (if anything shifts around) and you lose the security aspect of the immobilizer function.
    Hot glue secures the lead coming out of the module and the relay turns it off and on by way of the door lock pulses.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Ok, so after doing some research I determined that technically you should be able to use a DEI 556U Immobilizer Interface module to trick the car, allowing you to use the 04 Keys to start it. Basically the only time the car needs to see the immobilizer is during start up. Because of that, you should be able to use a spare key that has been programmed (usually less than 60.00 programmed by a locksmith, don't do a dealer) and transmit the signal from that key to the immobilizer ring on the ignition to replicate signal and "trick" the car into thinking that the 05+ key is being used.

Now, this part I haven't figured out yet so please be patient also input is welcome if you are familiar with remote starts and such. I don't think there would be a problem if the car were to sees the key all the time but I don't know for sure. I'm looking into this though. If that is the case, a relay would have to be wired up to show a negative signal for an extended period of time or latched negative and fed to the blue negative trigger wire on the 556u to activate it.

Anyways, in order to do this, you will have to send a negative signal to the 556u from the negative unlock wire. A great resource for car alarm wiring is: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew...gdiagrams.aspx

That will activate the 556u and allow the 04 key to start the car because its getting the signal from the key hidden away in the 556u under the dash.

When you are away from the car and press the lock key, the negative signal will need to be killed. Possibly by way of using the negative lock wire to unlatch the relay if thats how this will be wired up.

Attached is a picture of the 556u as well as the OEM ignition switch with the copper coil/ring circled. Hopefully we can get this working!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	556u.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	7332
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignition.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	551.7 KB 
ID:	7333

7. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

project not going great. Ended up mangling the blue plastic to get it off the "exploratory" key. Due to the ridges near where the handle meets the blade of the key, it may prove impossible to remove the plastic without destroying it Any ideas?

9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

The one without the blue on it is the chipped key, only 04 STi's came with the blue key. The one that you need to put in the module is the standard black one for your 05+ wrx sti. The goal is to be able to use the 04 key on an 05+ car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

10. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hulakatt View Post
    project not going great. Ended up mangling the blue plastic to get it off the "exploratory" key. Due to the ridges near where the handle meets the blade of the key, it may prove impossible to remove the plastic without destroying it Any ideas?

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...pskffthzsi.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/y...pserwdo0hl.jpg
    That sucks about the key looks like you will be modifying the key with something maybe make a replacement cover to conceal the chip and replace the blue portion with one of those inexpensive 3d printers after you figure out if you can get the chip on the key.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

12. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not sure you will want to go my route, but, I am notorious for losing my keys. So, I removed the immobilizer chip, and it is mounted now right above the ignition cylinder, under the column cover. I can now use regular keys, but, if someone pops the ignition, car is gone. Big downside, but beats me being carless three times a month.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

13. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, SDMotorworks liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12