Question about 07+ replacement keys and immobilizer system

Hulakatt

After rolling in a new-to-me 06 STi for a month now, I'm starting to sort out some of the little niggles that bug me. I only got the car with 1 key and want to get a spare or two. I love the Subaru JDM keys available from places like fastwrx but those keys don't work with the immobilizer system as far as I can tell. I t looks like I would still have to keep a regular key on my keychain or remove the immobilizer chip and secure it in something else on the keychain with the new key.

Anyone wander down this road before?

Is there a way to secure the immobilizer chip in the JDM key? I'd prefer this if I can just to keep things clean and simple.

Did you end up securing it in some other sort of keychain piece or do you still cart around the original key on your keychain?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
By the "JDM key," I assume you're referring to the 04 STi key? If so, there are people on NASIOC who have done this and it is a hack job! The only viable solution that I saw was from one guy who taped the normal key underneath the steering wheel plastic cover on top of the ignition. You have to tape it a certain way for the ignition to sense it, though. The guy reported that there were no issues, however, imagine if something happened and the key fell from its spot! You'd be screwed!

I personally suggest you leave things as they are and if you need another key, go get an OEM one from Subaru. Leave things like this that are potentially hazardous for kids. Risking your safety for the way a key looks is definitely not worth it.

Hulakatt

By the JDM key I mean this one:
sti_key_blank_2_large.jpg

I don't mind securing the immobilizer in something else on the keychain that's solid, just wondering if anyone had any success or advice. Securing the immobilizer in steering column A.) kinda defeats the purpose of having it and B.) yeah, what if it shifts out of range or falls? Then you're screwed and it may not be at a safe time. I would like to keep it with the keys for both safety and security.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Check the NASIOC threads then. There were a couple frol what I recall reading. They should have enough information to guide you in the right direction.

Hulakatt

After looking over the 04' STi keys and the 06' keys, I have a small plan and parts on order. I'll document everything in case it all works but I'm planning on transplanting the immobilizer from a new key into the 04' keys. Everything on plan is sound in theory but I haven't seen anyone else do it yet.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Curious to see what you've got planned!

Hulakatt

Well, the blue plastic on the 04 keys can come off but I'm going to try to get it off without damaging it. It's molded over a ridge that follows the shape of the key, once I have the blue plastic off, I just have to file down that ridge in a spot that's a bit wider than the immobilizer chip and then use my drill press to mill into the main body of the key a little bit. Once I can fit the immobilizer chip in to the point where the blue plastic can fit back on without being obstructed by the chip than I will secure the chip in place and then secure the blue plastic back in place over top of it. I can use the black plastic key that I'm removing the chip from as a guide for placement for orienting the chip as far as it's proximity to the sensor which, as near as I can determine, is located within or on the either side of the green ring around the ignition.

I currently only have 1 key, most likely a master. Just ordered 3 more master keys and the Dealership is also cutting the 04 keys for me. 1 of the new masters will lay down it's life as a donor to the chip swap. If it all works according to plan, I'll get around to doing the whole thing again with another one of the key sets but as it is, I have spares in case I bugger everything up ;)

Hulakatt

So, long overdue update.

Finally got a set of keys, cut and programmed, from my local Scooby dealership (Baierl Subaru in the North Hills of PGH). Got 2 new Masters, 1 Valet and they kindly cut the 2 supplied 04' STi keys for free. I'm gonna spend some time playing with extreme temperatures this weekend on the 04' keys to separate the plastic from the metal body of one key.

I did some initial testing with the 04' keys this evening. Using only the 04', the car will start and immediately kill the engine and kick on the "Security" warning light. Using the 04' key with the sensor of the 06' key held near the green ring of death, the car starts and stays running just fine and stays running when the 06' key is moved out of range. Stayed running for a trip to the store and until I killed the ignition.

My concern at this point is that the part of the 04' key that I plan to house the immobilizer chip in is located about 1/4" further away from the end of the cuts on the key than where it is located on the 06' keys. I don't have much of a way of testing how much distance from the green ring I can get while still starting the car normally without kinda destroying an 06' key so up next is some surgery for my donor key!

The Immobilizer chip is located between the "S" and the blade/shaft end of the key

Edit: yeah, the blue plastic is a little chewed up on this key, it was the key I used for probing out my initial theories about how this might work. If this whole project goes according to plan and actually works then I will go through it with the other key and do a cleaner job of it. This is my "proving grounds" key ;)

023FD058-4639-47FC-A241-3BFAE9A4AAD6_zps7lkzvmuo.jpg

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
very interested to see the final outcome of this. i have an 07 as well and always loved the 04 keys

I was looking at this and thought of a possible solution that isnt a total hack.

So, one way to "trick" the car into thinking a secure key is present is to use a "hide a key" module under the dash. This is used sometimes where there isn't a better solution for someone installing a remote start (best example). When a remote start is installed and there isnt a specific interface mod available a key has to be sacrificed for the car to start. This may be an option to use the 04 STi keys as long as there is power going to the module at all times or maybe somehow triggered when the car is unlocked, this might be something that can be done using a relay and the lock/unlock output to trigger the relay to be active while the car is unlocked and then deactivated when the car is locked.

Ill try to get some part numbers and possible wiring diagram for better understanding.

Hulakatt

I was looking at this and thought of a possible solution that isnt a total hack.

So, one way to "trick" the car into thinking a secure key is present is to use a "hide a key" module under the dash. This is used sometimes where there isn't a better solution for someone installing a remote start (best example). When a remote start is installed and there isnt a specific interface mod available a key has to be sacrificed for the car to start. This may be an option to use the 04 STi keys as long as there is power going to the module at all times or maybe somehow triggered when the car is unlocked, this might be something that can be done using a relay and the lock/unlock output to trigger the relay to be active while the car is unlocked and then deactivated when the car is locked.

Ill try to get some part numbers and possible wiring diagram for better understanding.

There were a few guys doing this option on one of the other forums I read through when searching for info on doing this. The downside is that it is potentially more finicky (if anything shifts around) and you lose the security aspect of the immobilizer function.

There were a few guys doing this option on one of the other forums I read through when searching for info on doing this. The downside is that it is potentially more finicky (if anything shifts around) and you lose the security aspect of the immobilizer function.
Hot glue secures the lead coming out of the module and the relay turns it off and on by way of the door lock pulses.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ok, so after doing some research I determined that technically you should be able to use a DEI 556U Immobilizer Interface module to trick the car, allowing you to use the 04 Keys to start it. Basically the only time the car needs to see the immobilizer is during start up. Because of that, you should be able to use a spare key that has been programmed (usually less than 60.00 programmed by a locksmith, don't do a dealer) and transmit the signal from that key to the immobilizer ring on the ignition to replicate signal and "trick" the car into thinking that the 05+ key is being used.

Now, this part I haven't figured out yet so please be patient also input is welcome if you are familiar with remote starts and such. I don't think there would be a problem if the car were to sees the key all the time but I don't know for sure. I'm looking into this though. If that is the case, a relay would have to be wired up to show a negative signal for an extended period of time or latched negative and fed to the blue negative trigger wire on the 556u to activate it.

Anyways, in order to do this, you will have to send a negative signal to the 556u from the negative unlock wire. A great resource for car alarm wiring is: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/vehiclewiringdiagrams.aspx

That will activate the 556u and allow the 04 key to start the car because its getting the signal from the key hidden away in the 556u under the dash.

When you are away from the car and press the lock key, the negative signal will need to be killed. Possibly by way of using the negative lock wire to unlatch the relay if thats how this will be wired up.

Attached is a picture of the 556u as well as the OEM ignition switch with the copper coil/ring circled. Hopefully we can get this working! :tard:

556u.jpg
ignition.jpg

Hulakatt

project not going great. Ended up mangling the blue plastic to get it off the "exploratory" key. Due to the ridges near where the handle meets the blade of the key, it may prove impossible to remove the plastic without destroying it :( Any ideas?

092f2845-6bb7-4788-ab05-f00e40acf4e1_zpskffthzsi.jpg

987591BE-3F5A-47E8-9B9F-F053BB3172D3_zpserwdo0hl.jpg

The one without the blue on it is the chipped key, only 04 STi's came with the blue key. The one that you need to put in the module is the standard black one for your 05+ wrx sti. The goal is to be able to use the 04 key on an 05+ car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

project not going great. Ended up mangling the blue plastic to get it off the "exploratory" key. Due to the ridges near where the handle meets the blade of the key, it may prove impossible to remove the plastic without destroying it :( Any ideas?

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/...5-6bb7-4788-ab05-f00e40acf4e1_zpskffthzsi.jpg

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/...E-3F5A-47E8-9B9F-F053BB3172D3_zpserwdo0hl.jpg
That sucks about the key looks like you will be modifying the key with something maybe make a replacement cover to conceal the chip and replace the blue portion with one of those inexpensive 3d printers after you figure out if you can get the chip on the key.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Well, I'm not sure you will want to go my route, but, I am notorious for losing my keys. So, I removed the immobilizer chip, and it is mounted now right above the ignition cylinder, under the column cover. I can now use regular keys, but, if someone pops the ignition, car is gone. Big downside, but beats me being carless three times a month.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk