06 STI Brake pads and disk replacement

Piper86

Hi all,
So few months into owning my STI and its time to replace my Brake pads and possibly disks as well. I have a shudder under breaking and so i think it would be best if i replace the whole lot same time.

Any suggestions on what to use, my i initial though is to replace with oem brembo disks and pads, however i have heard that there are different series brembo pads and that the general replacement subaru pads are not good.

I have also been recommended to replace with endless pads.

What are your experiences and findings. What can you recommend and please be specific to the series/type and brand.

I'm in south africa so would need to source parts that are available. We also have powerbreak.co.za which i might consider.

The car is used as a daily and the odd skidpad/gymkhana fun so no serious breaking needed. If and when i get to that point i will upgrade to breaded hoses but for now its not needed.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Do you have the following available?

-Hawk HPS brake pads
-DBA rotors (I have 3000's)

I went from OEM to this setup about 4-5 years ago and there is still plenty of life left on the pads. Rotors are like new. I think I paid around $800 total back then. I'm sure there are better pads and rotors out now; maybe even cheaper!

Do you only drive around, or do you track as well?

I run hawk HP's break pads and would say they are better then OEM and much more affordable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Piper86

Never heard of hawk HP's
We have powerbreak slitted disks available
And then i'm waiting for the brembo agent to give feedback, but thats also available

Considering the endless pb05 pads or brembo pads, have a price on brembo HP2000 pads and then other brembos, dong have the part number for yet, guessing stock replacement pads
Other make and spec in the below screen grabs also available

5c34c109f7c7e9c15f82329154d28355.jpg
74588d23ebbea0e73344794165c6525d.jpg
a913496157bcb54fdf0be4c4d173e8c2.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You're going to have to do research and see what other STi owners are saying about those.

Piper86

Guys here in SA are positive about the combination of that and endless pb05
Nobody has really given me feedback on the stock disks and pads. And as i've never driven the stock setup i can't comment either.

We also have a brand calked Varie availabe on disks

Ive been advised to stay away from ebc yellowstuff pads

ruan

[MENTION=5834]Piper86[/MENTION] with what combination did you go? I should have done more research before i bought new brakes. I went for the powerbrake slotted disks in front with brembo pads. Can't remember the part number. The combination doesn't work well. When driving in traffic the brakes start to squeel and breaking hard at higher speeds the brakes fade fast

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Piper86

I have not done this yet but have asked around a lot
I would like to do the new carbon slotted powerbreak disks (pictures above) combined with endless pb05 pads. I've been advised that this is a great combination.

ruan

Do you maybe know where I can get Endless PB05 pads for the 06 STI? It's not listed on powerbrake's website.

*edit: not necessary anymore. Found out that the Endless pads are listed as Powerbrake PB05 pads

ruan

I got some PB05 pads from Powerbrake last week. Fitted them on saterday. Will give you some more feedback when 'n tested them out properly.

DSC_0001_1_zps5ynro1jx.jpg

Powerbrake RS222 discs

DSC_0003_1_zpsbevsneo8.jpg

Discs fitted

DSC_0031_1_zpskttr4qax.jpg

Powerbrake PB05 pads

DSC_0032_1_zpsoxvxjm2w.jpg

Pads fitted. You can actually see where the brembo pads didn't make contact with the disc. The PB05 pads uses 100% of the disc surface. I think the brembo pads I got was for a previous model because there is a huge size difference.

DSC_0033_1_zpsbemxerkz.jpg

Here is the PB05s next to the brembo p56025.

Piper86

Interesting
Please update and give feedback as this will be next for me to. Which powerbrake disks/rotors are those, the GT edition?

Do you have rear ones also installed?

Did you remember the setting in process?

ruan

It's the same rotors you posted pictures of. From what I can see it's the RS series.

Only did the front. Rear rotors are still good and standard.

Still busy with the setting in process. Hopefully I can get to testing them soon.

Piper86

I've decided on the Bendix Ultimate pads for this round as I will only be driving on the road and not be doing any closed circuit racing. The endless PB05 would be a favorite of mine when the car is no longer a daily and goes to track from time to time but at this point its not an option.

I've also been using a friends old EBC yellow stuff pads for the past few weeks and this has at least sorted out the shudder. I was informed that the previous pads had caused s buildup on the disks due to overheating and this caused the shudder which I thought was due to warping. Anyhow by installing the ebc's they scraped clean the disks and now the shudder is gone.
I still need to check on my disk thickness thought, 28mm is minimum and 30mm is new.
0554a74e7c85617b8e351b3df4668e85.jpg

ruan

I've been using the Power Brake discs and pads for a while now and the performance on the street is excellent. Will test it on the track some time next year (still a few things I want to sort out in the engine bay). There is just a squeal at a certain brake pressure approaching to a stop that I can't get rid of.

Piper86

I'n noted a squeel on the bendix as well
I will need to do disks on my next round of pads.

Then I will consider different options depending on the cars requirement at that stage.

For cross over i would definitely consider the pb05 pads with the powerbrake disks.

However ebc slotted and dimpled with yellow stuff pads remain an option as they are similarly prices.