2012 STI WITH FMIC AND AEM CAI WATER PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjaschke

Ok so as the title states I have been having an issue with my STI ever since I went the direction of putting the fmic on with the upgraded fuel pump and injectors. Whenever it is either down pouring rain or I am in the car wash my car will bog down and the check engine light will come on. I have had the cold air intake on ever since I have had the car and have not had any problems with it until I had the FMIC put on the vehicle. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just a unicorn for myself? I do have the fender liners still on the car and the cover that goes under the engine.... I do not take this car off road nor do I cross any rivers.

tjaschke

PS.....I did order an AEM hydroshield for the intake to hopefully correct the problem, but I will not know until it arrives on my door step. Also, could for whatever reason the fmic be sucking water up when it shouldn't?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We've never heard of that.

Are you tuned?

tjaschke

Yes I am tuned, I would never do anything to these cars without getting the car tuned, it's like it sucks up water and then it just takes time for it to dry off and then everything else seems to go back to normal.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yes I am tuned, I would never do anything to these cars without getting the car tuned, it's like it sucks up water and then it just takes time for it to dry off and then everything else seems to go back to normal.

Well we've seen it all and had to ask, lol.

Something isn't sealed for sure.

tjaschke

Yes, and also worth noting, I never had any issues with the cold air intake when I had the stock top mount intercooler. could maybe the blow off valve that's not stock be a culprit to the fmic? The BOV is a Turboxs 50/50

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Have you ever taken a spray bottle with some dawn dish soap and spray around looking for leaks?

↪Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!↩

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What code or codes are being thrown when the CEL comes on?

Some random thoughts:
Next time it happens, remove the filter and see if the piping is wet behind the filter.

I suppose it could also be water getting into other electronics causing a short.
Are you pretty sure there are no other leaks in the system where water might be able to drip along an IC pipe and find its way in?

Long shot but, the filter element could be getting wet causing a different flow of air to pass the maf. This could cause the tune to think you are not getting enough air. A log would be best when this happens to see what's being affected. [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] would be the best person to ask what to log though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjaschke

So I put a hydroshield on the filter and after I washed the car this weekend I had no problems, but I did notice that water built up on the blow off valve that like I said is a 50/50 Turboxs bov and I don't know if maybe once boost hits and it spews out air that maybe water dumps in and down to the turbo.

What code or codes are being thrown when the CEL comes on?

Some random thoughts:
Next time it happens, remove the filter and see if the piping is wet behind the filter.

I suppose it could also be water getting into other electronics causing a short.
Are you pretty sure there are no other leaks in the system where water might be able to drip along an IC pipe and find its way in?

Long shot but, the filter element could be getting wet causing a different flow of air to pass the maf. This could cause the tune to think you are not getting enough air. A log would be best when this happens to see what's being affected. @HolyCrapItsFast would be the best person to ask what to log though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the filter is getting wet. What code is it throwing?

I agree with these assessments or more to the fact that the Mass Air Flow sensor is getting wet and messing with the readings. We see this allot.

So I put a hydroshield on the filter and after I washed the car this weekend I had no problems, but I did notice that water built up on the blow off valve that like I said is a 50/50 Turboxs bov and I don't know if maybe once boost hits and it spews out air that maybe water dumps in and down to the turbo.

You did the right thing with the shield and confirms the last few posts. The water you are seeing around the BOV is likely residual water still in the system after the fact. Give it time and it should abate. Keep an eye out and watch for it during wet weather and after car washes.

tjaschke

Problem solved a while ago: My BOV was the problem and switching it with another brand made the difference. My first BOV was dumping water back into the recirculation tube if i were to go through a car wash or heavy down poor of rain. Moderators feel free to delete this thread.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Closing thread.

Thank you,
igotasti

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Status
Not open for further replies.