Ever had a flat tire because of this...?!?!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm on the side of the road right now. Flat tire. No punctures anywhere... Rubber valve stem... CRACKED?!?! Anyone ever heard or seen this shit before?!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Dang that sucks. Got a pic?

↪Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!↩

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I tried to grab a picture, but it doesn't do it justice. About 5 bubbles forms as this happened on the highway. Gotta find a new tire quickly! Just got home and all is well for now...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Ah sorry man.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I've never had an issue in the 6 years and 2 weeks that I've owned the car with flat tires.... I have everything in my car in case I do get a flat: tools, foot air pump, plugs. I don't keep the spare in my car because of this. This is the first time I have ever had to use the spare... This is the most ridiculous problem I have ever had with a car...

Here's what the culprit is:

http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/l...0-44EA-B0EC-9DAF859B1E12_zpshlrphulp.mp4.html

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How old is that tire?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
They could have used a cheap value stem and the pressure of the tire made it give way.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It is what it is now. I got it done where I get all my shit done; at Acura. I trust the two people who work on my car very much, so it's not their fault. Could've been a bad batch of valve stems that they had at the time. Although, the other 3 stems should be on their way if this is the case!

My dilemma now is this: $190 shipped for a Direzza DZ-102 tire since the DZ-101's are discontinued! Looking to buy another set now since they're basically double what it'll cost me for one...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Do you like any other brands of tires?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
How are the reviews on them?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like you found your new tires. ?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! I'VE TALKED ABOUT THIS FOR YEARS!!!! SERIOUSLY, WE'VE TALKED ABOUT THIS!!!! :bang:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
About the stems???? Link me! :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Really? We have?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
There was a time that I had 3 flats in a year because of broken valve stems. The problem is created by three common problems...

* The valve stems are old and possibly reused from the previous set of tires. Get new stems at every tire change.

* If tire pressure is often neglected and/or the design of the wheel has a tight fit and rough angle for the stem, the stem gets damaged from heavy tire flexing in cornering. If available, ALWAYS utilize stainless steel valve stems.

* Hitting serious f***ups in the road (this is amplified with insufficient tire pressure) stresses the tire and the valve stems as well. Inspect them often for cracks and stress marks where they meet the wheel.

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, you bet your ass from now things are going to go a little differently! :lol:

Do you know if there are performance or premium stem for sale?

Came across this:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tr20134.htm

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I actually used to get my stainless steel valve stems at a Sears Auto Center to be honest. :lol: They were good quality, decent looking and reasonably priced. I'm not a flashy guy. :lol:

Maybe ask our vendors?