Flex Fueling a stock 2017 STI?

LapisSTI

Alright fellow owners, I am looking for input on doing exactly what it says. Throwing a straight up Flex Fuel setup right on to the car. I'd like to get the option to get a tune on both 93 and E85(whatever content is available in the area) that will also not require me to tune solely on E85. PLEASE!!! chime in here as I would like everyone's input please.

SudoSTI

Your ideas are clashing a bit. FlexFuel means you install an ethanol sensor in your fuel line and have it tuned from 0-90ish% ethanol and your car will automatically compensate and change its tune based on the ethanol content it reads. Having separate maps for 93oct and E85 is just that, tuning one map for 93oct and another for E85 which you can manually switch between depending on which fuel you fill your tank with.

So, which are you looking for?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I remember [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] was running a Haltech ECU with a flex fuel setup in his last Evo. Besides something like that setup, you'd need two separate tunes, one for E85 and one for 93. Some people don't have any problems with separate tunes, but others have issues with the E85 that's available to them. Often times, what is advertised as E85 isn't actually 85% ethanol. This is especially true in areas where seasonal temperatures swing widely, making the ethanol fuels considerably different in content between summer and winter blends. Obviously, this screws up your AFR and could be detrimental to the engine. I know one guy in particular that has 4 different "E85" tunes because the stations he gets it from swings from E70-E90 throughout the year. He carries around this ethanol content test kit with him everywhere, tests the fuel every time he fills up and chooses the appropriate tune for the fuel content. To me, that's just ridiculous, too much screwing around and too much room for error.

If I really wanted to run an ethanol based fuel, I'd probably get a Haltech ECU with flex fuel and then I wouldn't have to worry about the fuel content every time I fill up.

It probably goes without saying, but you'll also need considerably larger injectors and a more capable fuel pump to run ethanol fuels.

SudoSTI

Or if you don't want to get a standalone ECU, and especially if you already have an Accessport, you could get this:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...thanol-sensor-kit-sti-2008-2017-wrx-2008-2014

COBB supports FlexFuel on newer model Subarus via Accessport now. Haltech is an amazing ECU (I was actually considering buying one), but they don't have any sort of plug and play style ECU for the newer model Subarus so you would have to get a universal one which can end up being a lot of work and/or money for installation. Not to mention the ECU itself is like $1500.

HolyCrapItsFast here...

I am currently working on a Flex Fuel e-tune for one of our members. I will say it is a challenge to do right now because there are so many other considerations. It is by far the best idea for you to go see a Cobb ProTuner to have this done. Of all of the Cobb platforms that use Flex Fuel, the Subaru is by far the most complex and involved. Until AccessTuner Race is available again, If I get any requests for flex fuel tuning from the IGOTA community, there will have to be a charge regardless of membership status. Currently, because ATR is being re-tooled and is unavailable till further notice, I have to use my shops pro license and to do that, I have to do it under the guise of Real Auto Dynamics and not IGOTASTi so I have to charge for it. I will be updating the e-tuning announcement thread with some updates regarding the availability (or lack there of) of AccessTuner Race.

Hopefully this will change when they release the new AccessTuner Race version and then we can go back to status quo of "Free e-tunes for everyone" :lol:

So for Cobb, the best recommendation is for you to speak to a ProTuner.

What area are you in?

Last edited:
That is an option only for anything with the 16 bit ECU. I believe the older wrx (04-06 and older) and older STi's prior to 04 and other Subaru 02 and earlier.

The CarBerry rom kick serious butt and if I had my way it would be used in everything.

SudoSTI

Oh yeah I'm your first experience with it, aren't I? I'm hoping to explore FlexFuel with it in the not too distant future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!

HolyCrapItsFast here...

I am currently working on a Flex Fuel e-tune for one of our members. I will say it is a challenge to do right now because there are so many other considerations. It is by far the best idea for you to go see a Cobb ProTuner to have this done. Of all of the Cobb platforms that use Flex Fuel, the Subaru is by far the most complex and involved. In the future If I get any requests for flex fuel tuning of any kind from the IGOTA community, there will be a charge no matter what your membership level is. Currently, because ATR is being re-tooled and is unavailable till further notice, I have to use my shops pro license and to do that, I have to do it under the guise of Real Auto Dynamics and not IGOTASTi so I have to charge for it. I will be updating the e-tuning announcement thread with some updates regarding the availability (or lack there of) of AccessTuner Race.

Hopefully this will change when they release the new AccessTuner Race version and then we can go back to status quo of "Free e-tunes for everyone" :lol:

So for Cobb, the best recommendation is for you to speak to a ProTuner.

What area are you in?

Wow! That's not something people with Accessports want to hear! :banghead:

SudoSTI

That is an option only for anything with the 16 bit ECU. I believe the older wrx (04-06 and older) and older STi's prior to 04 and other Subaru 02 and earlier.

The CarBerry rom kick serious butt and if I had my way it would be used in everything.

Yeah it is only for the 16-bit.

That's probably why COBB hired the developer. ;)

Wow! That's not something people with Accessports want to hear! :banghead:

The non-flex fuel tunes are still free for people with an AP. The only thing about that is, until cobb releases ATR, we have to use RomRaider to log the Wide Band and other extended parameters so you have to have a Tactirx as well. The best thing to do is to wait till the new release of ATR.

Yes, and I am not sorry.

Oh yeah I'm your first experience with it, aren't I? I'm hoping to explore FlexFuel with it in the not too distant future.