Intake Temps

So I live in Texas as some of you know and high intake temps are probably normal around here but my question is when is it to high. The temp sensor has been moved to the intake manifold due to changing to speed density and on the highway intake temps get as high as 160 after of few wot pulls. They usually settle down around the 130 mark when it is 100 outside. I have a grimmspeed top mount with splitter.

SudoSTI

Is it directly in the intake manifold? Do you have phenolic spacers between the manifold and engine?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm sure there's a reasonable limit, so to speak. That said, I think what is more important is whether or not the temperature of your intake charge is causing any knock events. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but #1. you were tuned at Cobb and #2. you run e85. So I'd assume that because Cobb is also in Texas, they probably deal with this issue in regards to tuning on a regular basis. Also, high intake charge temps probably aren't as big of an issue with e85.

This is pretty interesting though and I'm curious what others have to say. I wonder if there is some kind of ducting you could rig up to improve airflow under the hood, though that can be difficult to get right, considering the way engineers have designed the engine bay, front clip, grill, etc. to produce the desired flow. Sometimes, ducting and other modifications actually hurt proper airflow under the hood more than they help.

Well actually I am running 93 oct and the issue arose when the car was over boosting from target boost of 24 psi to 26 psi. Calvin adjusted the tune and now it doesn't over boost but I am getting fine knock learning. Here is a link to my log https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0L5Q1z9bxYVLWlXdnh0MTRXNDA. He is saying that the intercooler is the issue and that I need a front mount. In the meantime he needs to turn down the boost because it is getting to hot. I feel like it is going to get just as hot even with boost down as if I just go down the highway at 70-80 mph it still climbs into the 130 range. How I miss my [MENTION=9]HolyCrapItsFast[/MENTION] tunes.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
When it's 80-90 degrees outside, my IAT is about 30 degrees higher than ambient here in Cleveland. Seems like it's the same for you as well. However, since I have the custom duct routed from the fog light through the fender, the temps don't stay high very long after sitting in traffic or doing some pulls. You guys have massive issues when it rains, so I wouldn't advise doing it to your car.

At this point, it's all thermodynamics. Is your intake box/coupler/pipe wrapped in gold DEI heat tape? Do you have a blanket, heat shield, or both on your turbo? Is your GS TMIC wrapped in gold DEI heat tape?

I'm not sure how much you can do as TX's heat gets crazier than OH's! :lol:

SudoSTI

How hot does the manifold get with the 3mm spacers? I know some guys have had issues with heat soaking the sensor having it directly in the manifold which is why a lot of guys suggest putting it into the cold side end tank of your intercooler if you're running a TMIC. I have mine directly in my manifold as well for SD but I have 17mm spacers to accommodate my rotated intake manifold. I'd have to double check my logs but IIRC my intake temps aren't much higher than ambient and it's getting to be wicked hot here as well (90*+, probably will be in the 11x* range before the summer is over). BUT I also have a FMIC so there's that. And also I have a mondo rotated turbo and downpipe with no thermal insulation that I desperately need to address when I can. So basically my setup is so different I probably am no help haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you bypassed the water coolant line going to the throttle body that might help reduce heat soak of the intake manifold.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Absolutely. Like Alin said, you might see some improvement with DEI gold heat tape. It might be negligible, but it's worth a try.

I wonder if getting the turbo blanket will make that much of a difference and if I am just delaying the inevitable about needing to go with a front mount.

When it's 80-90 degrees outside, my IAT is about 30 degrees higher than ambient here in Cleveland. Seems like it's the same for you as well. However, since I have the custom duct routed from the fog light through the fender, the temps don't stay high very long after sitting in traffic or doing some pulls. You guys have massive issues when it rains, so I wouldn't advise doing it to your car.

At this point, it's all thermodynamics. Is your intake box/coupler/pipe wrapped in gold DEI heat tape? Do you have a blanket, heat shield, or both on your turbo? Is your GS TMIC wrapped in gold DEI heat tape?

I'm not sure how much you can do as TX's heat gets crazier than OH's! :lol:

I do have a heat shield but no turbo blanket which I think might need to get and I do not have any heat tape. I am having one of those why in the hell did I not think of that moments.

How hot does the manifold get with the 3mm spacers? I know some guys have had issues with heat soaking the sensor having it directly in the manifold which is why a lot of guys suggest putting it into the cold side end tank of your intercooler if you're running a TMIC. I have mine directly in my manifold as well for SD but I have 17mm spacers to accommodate my rotated intake manifold. I'd have to double check my logs but IIRC my intake temps aren't much higher than ambient and it's getting to be wicked hot here as well (90*+, probably will be in the 11x* range before the summer is over). BUT I also have a FMIC so there's that. And also I have a mondo rotated turbo and downpipe with no thermal insulation that I desperately need to address when I can. So basically my setup is so different I probably am no help haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spoke with Calvin about moving the temp sensor to the intercooler and he said that is not a good idea as it would not be giving an accurate reading. You have 17mm spacers? So after reading your post it makes me think I need to go with a front mount.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I can't remember for sure, but do you have your header and up pipe wrapped, [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION]?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I highly, highly recommend wrapping the header and up pipe. A heat shield for the turbo works well and of course a turbo blanket would likely be better. Personally, I prefer to leave the down pipe unwrapped, BUT if you are going to wrap the down pipe, I always suggest only wrapping the first 18-24" of down pipe. I say this because, in a perfect world, you want the greatest temperature differential possible between pre-turbo and post-turbo. Without going into extensive detail, a large temperature differential increases the velocity of exhaust gases through the turbo (via a pressure differential due to the temperature differential, because temperature and pressure of fluid, especially gases like air or exhaust, go hand in hand).

Last edited: