Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  44
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily/Family Whip: 06 STI

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: The Daily/Family Whip: 06 STI

Update: STi is in the shop with a blown headgasket Local Scooby dealership is replacing all seals and gaskets in the engine along with a slew of other stuff and giving the whole thing a solid look over for me. Rolling in a CrossTrek until my baby is back. After the last few cars I've owned, driving the CrossTrek is like driving inside a pillow. Everything is very nice but driving is very detached and muted.

2. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Ouch, how much is the labor and parts going to run you? Did the gasket go during boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Parts and labor are looking to be about $2.5k. All engine gaskets and seals are being replaced as well as the water pump, timing belt and a few other odds and ends. I can post the final toll for he work after I get it back.

The gasket did not let go under boost. It was more of a gradual break that slowly got worse. I have a suspicion that the previous owner knew it was starting to go and used some sealant leak stopper or some other such thing to "shut it up" long enough to sell off the car.

5. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

Oh, wow. That's shitty!

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Good news from the shop, the heads are true and well within spec. Do not need machined or replaced. Just waiting on some replacement coolant lines to replace some brittle ones above the engine block to finish it all up. Should just be another day or two.

7. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, SDMotorworks, Alin liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    Oh, wow. That's shitty!
    Yeah, but now I'll have an engine that I know to be as clean as the body is, not a bad place to start off with a new ride, particularly an STI

9. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Alin, SDMotorworks liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Got my Scooby back!

Well, got it back friday. Had to race from work to get to the dealership before they closed at 6. One of the guys working there waited for me before locking up because he knew how badly I wanted my car back, good folks.

Anyway,
    Heads were still true and did not need replacement
    gaskets replaced
    timing belt replaced
    new spark plugs
    new water pump
    new thermostat gaskets
    new coolant hoses
    and a sh!t ton of labor
    came in at $.04 shy of 3k

engine is notably quieter, more so than before the headgasket blew, runs smoother and is putting out more power. I actually lost traction a bit on saturday, punching it going up a hill, never did that hitting it much harder on the same stretch of road before. Never done that before in a Scooby to begin with.

Tune is still rich, putting out too much fuel at idle and pulling away from stop. One of the tech also told me that the turbo has some play in it and should be replaced soon. Given 100k on that turbo and with so much else being upgraded around it, I'm not surprised. My next few steps for the STI are:

A pillar gauge mount stuffed with
    wideband a/f gauge
    boost gauge

new turbo
    new tune

then I'll probably pick up:
    coolant temp gauge
    oil temp gauge
    oil pressure gauge
    in a clock cluster gauge mount

11. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Doppelganger, IGOTASTi, Alin liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting the subie back up and running

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

13. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

So... got the STI back on Friday and the radiator blew up on Tuesday. This is not turning out to be very reliable so far. My wife is getting pissed and wants me to trade it in on an 86. Got a Koyorad today and gonna install it this weekend.

Yes, that 86 would be my family car with 2 car seats in the back and not a garage queen/weekend warrior.

15. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Dang, sorry to hear about that, man! I won't say I'm against the 86 because I want one as well, but I don't want to see the STi go! Tell you wife to be a little patient! Rome wasn't built in a day!

16. Thanks IGOTASTi thanked for this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast